6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Tractor supply-traveller brand 15w-40 oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 05:25 PM
kopy kat
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tractor supply-traveller brand 15w-40 oil

I see this oil on the Ford list...and at $11.99 a gallon...I'm just wondering if anyone on this forum knows anything about this oil?

I've almost always used Mobil 1 diesel 5w-40 but since it's not on the list I need to find a substitute.
Thanks, Larry

Old 04-14-2017, 07:34 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
I see it all the time.

My point of view is that oil would be fine with something old, but not something with modern emissions.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:02 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If it meets API and is on Ford's list, it's good to go in my book.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:11 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
My point of view is that oil would be fine with something old, but not something with modern emissions.
Why would you say this?

The oil is CK-4 rated and on the newest, most recent Ford approved list.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:16 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by kopy kat
I see this oil on the Ford list...and at $11.99 a gallon...
2.5 gallon jug is $25 or $10/gal.

5 gallon pail is on sale for $40 or $8/gal.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:11 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read somewhere that CITGO is the one that refines the oil for Travelers. It has been CJ-4 rated for several years. When I farmed, that is all we used. Tractors, combines, trucks, and anything else as we could buy it priced right and we used a LOT of it. I have never used it in the later model Fords, as I always used Motorcraft 15x40 down here in Central Texas. At 25 bucks for 10 quarts. Not bad as Motorcraft is now over 18 bucks for 5 quarts.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:43 PM
suzuki0702
Elder User
Think I'll probably start using this oil...there is pallets of it at the local TAX. Can't say the same for old stock t6

Old 04-15-2017, 03:37 PM
IDI-Charlie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
I've personally never used it, but in the years I worked in the company we sold little of it - Rotella was our #1 seller. Personally, given it meets Ford's spec I would say you can run it, but in the oil industry I have always found it is one of those things where you get what you pay for.

If you do start running it, I'd be interested in what an oil analysis says about it.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:45 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by IDI-Charlie
but in the oil industry I have always found it is one of those things where you get what you pay for.
Personally, I look at all the BIG $$$$ that Big Oil spends on advertising and wonder who pays for that.

A few years ago, the CEO of Mercedes-Benz stated that you cannot make a inexpensive luxury car, because if it was not expensive, no one will believe that it is all that luxurious.

There are a lot of reasons things are expensive that have nothing to do with quality.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:13 PM
IDI-Charlie
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by jschira
There are a lot of reasons things are expensive that have nothing to do with quality.
While true, in running different brands on the farm we have noticed the lower priced options we have tried tend to exhibit some harder starts, more consumption, and quicker contamination.

Could it be additives causing the differences? Possibly.

All coincidence and we are just spending money on higher priced oil? That's probably an answer as well.

Personally, I run mid-range things as I've always seemed to have gotten a decent balance from them (read Rotella T3 or T4). Again, that could all be a placebo affect as well.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:14 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
While true, in running different brands on the fa.we have noticed the lower priced options we have tried tend to exhibit some harder starts, more consumption, and quicker contamination.
I do not doubt you, but do you have any specific information about TS oil?

I have heard time and time again "you get what you pay for".

But just like more expensive does not guarantee superior quality, a lower price does not indicate lower quality either.

The TS oil has been tested twice, once by Ford and once for the API rating, and has been approved by both.

So unless someone has specific evidence that the TS oil is no good, rejecting TS oil based simply on its lower price is irrational.

But I have found over the years that oil purchases are rarely a rational decision.

Oil is not food. There are no oils that are more "nutritional" than other oils. No oil that will improve the operation of the headlights, or the brakes, or the air conditioner. Oil is mixed to meet certain specifications. Either the oil meets those specification or not.

Similarly, engines are designed to use oil meeting certain specifications. If the oil meets those specifications, then the oil is fine to use it in the engine.

I also hear the argument that "good" oil will help your engine last longer. For those that keep your vehicle for 300k-400k miles, these oils might provide some benefit.

But modern LD diesels are designed to go 250k-350k miles without cracking the block using any oil meeting the specifications stated by the manufacturer. My WAP is that only a very small percentage of people keep their vehicle longer than that. Take a look at the 2017 SD board and see how many people traded in a truck that was only 2-4 years old.

So spend the extra cash for a "better" oil if you want, but please stop telling me categorically that lower priced oils are no good.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:59 AM
HouseMouse
Elder User
I do not doubt you, but do you have any specific information about TS oil?

I have heard time and time again "you get what you pay for".

But just like more expensive does not guarantee superior quality, a lower price does not indicate lower quality either.

The TS oil has been tested twice, once by Ford and once for the API rating, and has been approved by both.

So unless someone has specific evidence that the TS oil is no good, rejecting TS oil based simply on its lower price is irrational.

But I have found over the years that oil purchases are rarely a rational decision.

Oil is not food. There are no oils that are more "nutritional" than other oils. No oil that will improve the operation of the headlights, or the brakes, or the air conditioner. Oil is mixed to meet certain specifications. Either the oil meets those specification or not.

Similarly, engines are designed to use oil meeting certain specifications. If the oil meets those specifications, then the oil is fine to use it in the engine.

I also hear the argument that "good" oil will help your engine last longer. For those that keep your vehicle for 300k-400k miles, these oils might provide some benefit.

But modern LD diesels are designed to go 250k-350k miles without cracking the block using any oil meeting the specifications stated by the manufacturer. My WAP is that only a very small percentage of people keep their vehicle longer than that. Take a look at the 2017 SD board and see how many people traded in a truck that was only 2-4 years old.

So spend the extra cash for a "better" oil if you want, but please stop telling me categorically that lower priced oils are no good.
I agree. Most of it's called Marketing and or Supply and Demand. However you see it. Rotella is the Go-To oil for the most part. High demand = Higher price. Low demand = Lower prices to move product. Just my opinion.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:15 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by HouseMouse
However you see it. Rotella is the Go-To oil for the most part.
And that is a fine way to go. Might even be a good idea.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:08 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
Really only two rules to follow with engine oil:
1. Make sure it meets the car/truck manufacturer specs.
2. Remember each brand of oil is tested by itself so don't mix oil by switching from brand to brand to brand and don't add magic additives.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:24 AM
IDI-Charlie
Fleet Mechanic

I understand they are designed to go that long, my personal 7.3 has 370k on it currently - plan on having it for another twenty years or so. I have worked with and around diesels that have 890k-1.5Mil miles on them, and many prime movers that have been running nearly non-stop since the 1950s.

Sorry for offering up what I experienced within the company who touts the brand of oil this discussion is about and ruffling your feathers, won't happen again.

But, I don't exactly recall telling you that lower priced oils aren't any good? I said in MY experience I haven't had decent luck with cheap oil. I never ran it due to what I have experienced with cheaper oil, and none of my customers then, when I was with the company, or now have ever ran it.

I do recall, however, saying I think it would be fine to run it and would be interested to see how well it did.
...given it meets Ford's spec I would say you can run it... If you do start running it, I'd be interested in what an oil analysis says about it.
I have about ten gallons of Rotella currently, so it will be roughly 15k before I am out of oil and ready to try something else. If it is found to do decently, I might even consider running it! For now, I'll just keep my head out of the discussion.

Quick Reply: Tractor supply-traveller brand 15w-40 oil