6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

1st Oil change with Filtermags on

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 05:36 PM
willydmax
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Overkill, I'm sure curious what you'll find when cutting it open. I personally think you will be able to see an outline of every magnet from inside the filter by the metal stuck on it.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:12 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,373 Likes on 4,632 Posts
I could just cut it open and post the pics but I don't want to be accused of doctoring anything so I want to video the opening so everyone can see what I see when it's opened up and cleaned. I have never posted video before so be patient...I will get it done. There's a lot of stuff going on now and I am a master procrastinator...I have a YouTube account and maybe I'll post it there...

Old 08-22-2017, 03:37 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Thanks for sharing what you are doing Overkill - Internet is a rough place. You can't say you had a good experience with something and not have people attack it.

I do remember when even the OEMs put magnets on the end of oil drain pan plugs and when the oil was changed they always seemed to have gunk on them.

If this makes anyone feel better, like adding extra fuel filters, then great. Go for it. This isn't a huge expense and could get moved to another vehicle easily, so this isn't as much as investment as other products.

Stay safe out there.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:00 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by Dakster
Thanks for sharing what you are doing Overkill - Internet is a rough place. You can't say you had a good experience with something and not have people attack it.

I do remember when even the OEMs put magnets on the end of oil drain pan plugs and when the oil was changed they always seemed to have gunk on them.

If this makes anyone feel better, like adding extra fuel filters, then great. Go for it. This isn't a huge expense and could get moved to another vehicle easily, so this isn't as much as investment as other products.

Stay safe out there.
Sorry for late reply Dakster...I just saw this tonight. I appreciate the thumbs up. Yeah I hear ya...I guess I just wanted to really try to get across how they work...and maybe I got a little defensive...my fault. Maybe when I change my oil, I'll video record how hard they slap onto the face of the filter. Appreciate the well wishes, my friend. Once I do some more of the stuff I want to add to the truck, people will see why my handle has the word overkill in it...

Old 03-15-2018, 12:50 PM
FMJ.
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@ Overkill2,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to do your 1st post.

I just came across it by chance while doing some google homework.

I've used a powerful speaker magnet on the oil sump for several years, and I know of some local drag racers that use a handful of small magnets on their oil filters.

I did not know about the filtermags until now. That's actually what I want, and what I've just ordered.

I've also recently come across the following :

EZ-115 : NPT 1/4-18 | EZ Oil Drain Valve

These are brilliant to replace the block and radiator drain plugs, as well as tranny and oil sump plugs.

I fitted them and tested them. No leaks, and no annoying mess when draining.

The picture below shows their size with the marlboro box to help with perspective.

Laterz.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by FMJ.
@ Overkill2,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to do your 1st post.

I just came across it by chance while doing some google homework.

I've used a powerful speaker magnet on the oil sump for several years, and I know of some local drag racers that use a handful of small magnets on their oil filters.

I did not know about the filtermags until now. That's actually what I want, and what I've just ordered.

I've also recently come across the following :

EZ-115 : NPT 1/4-18 EZ Oil Drain Valve

These are brilliant to replace the block and radiator drain plugs, as well as tranny and oil sump plugs.

I fitted them and tested them. No leaks, and no annoying mess when draining.

The picture below shows their size with the marlboro box to help with perspective.

Laterz.
No worries, FMJ. I procrastinate some but still want to make a video to post up and cut open the used Motorcraft filter that I have with the Filter Mags still on . I have a second set that I am using now.

Yes, I have seen the oil pan drain valves before and most of the guys here use these:

For Ford 2016 F-350 Super Duty 6.7L V8 Turbo Diesel

Old 03-17-2018, 01:07 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by djousma
The amount of metal in your filter is concerning. Not sure what good the magnets do, as that metal would be trapped in the filter anyway.

ditto

either wrong oil wieght for weather conditions, too much time on the oil (maybe use severe duty schedule instead) or the oil does not have enough zinc, phousperous, boron

its cool that the magnets catch it, but whats cuasing it

Old 03-18-2018, 09:19 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by willydmax
Overkill, I'm sure curious what you'll find when cutting it open. I personally think you will be able to see an outline of every magnet from inside the filter by the metal stuck on it.
Hey *****, sorry for late reply...WAY LATE. If you didn't go to 1st page of thread, there are pictures which show the outline of each magnet.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:25 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
ditto

either wrong oil wieght for weather conditions, too much time on the oil (maybe use severe duty schedule instead) or the oil does not have enough zinc, phousperous, boron

its cool that the magnets catch it, but whats cuasing it
The pictures were taken at my first oil change at 5000 miles, give or take. It was factory fill so I'll assume it was Motorcraft Super Duty 10w30. I still use Motorcraft Super Duty 10w30. Since it was the first oil change on a brand new truck, I'm sure those are particles from the engine breaking in.

I'm at about 21,500 miles currently and the truck runs like a raped ape. If I have any catastrophic failure** of my engine, I'll let you guys know.

**Man, I hope I didn't jinx myself as I just read Lar man's thread about his 16 6.7 Powerstroke.

Last edited by Overkill2; 03-18-2018 at 10:27 AM. Reason: add to post