Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Boyfriend & Rat killed my 93 e350 shuttle bus 7.3 idi

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 04:55 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If it does start with that glow plug out it will make a hell of a noise. The only reason I mention putting a non berupted in it was just get a cheap you to plug the hole. Since 8t appears her funds are tight right now

Old 04-18-2017, 06:09 PM
TravelingTiny
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She's for sale...

Missing bolts on passenger side head.
Leak from above
Wtf?
Supposedly my fuel
Engine today
This is where CDR valve goes in. Yes, he removed again today.
Gp relay today
New missing gp and ...Is that a missing bolt?
Originally Posted by hturner12
If it does start with that glow plug out it will make a hell of a noise. The only reason I mention putting a non berupted in it was just get a cheap you to plug the hole. Since 8t appears her funds are tight right now
i knew as I was sitting there that it was gonna go all bad....It did.

Been fighting since 6pm last night about glow plug testing, he just tested relay I wanted to run the lame Chilton's test first for continuity then resistance test and then voltage drop test.... He wired some **** up this afternoon to a singular gp and fried the $&!+ Out of it. I told him to leave he did....And what I found after well .....

Some fluid that is yellowish and oily pouring from a 2spade connector above starter. If that's my gas well there's a problem.

If it's my oil it's even worse

It's definitely not radiator he drained that yesterday.

Several engine bolts missing
Gp relay undone
Headlights disconnected dash out again

Just gonna sell it for whatever I can get for it and Walk away.. literally.... Anybody got a room for rent as far from here as possible?

What do you think I could get for Engine? How should I word it?

Last edited by TravelingTiny; 04-18-2017 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Pics
Old 04-18-2017, 06:25 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Sorry to hear you giving up. Either he knew what he was doing to really mess you up or he was a comelet idiot.

What does the fluid smell like yellowish oily could be fuel. Oil normally is black even after a change you never get all the old out. The block heater if yoy had one is above the starter 8n a freeze plug hole, but that is 2 prong

Old 04-18-2017, 07:32 PM
TravelingTiny
Freshman User
I just want safe place to fix

Sorry to hear you giving up. Either he knew what he was doing to really mess you up or he was a comelet idiot.

What does the fluid smell like yellowish oily could be fuel. Oil normally is black even after a change you never get all the old out. The block heater if yoy had one is above the starter 8n a freeze plug hole, but that is 2 prong
block heater! That's what he said he was working on earlier that morning

How do I stop leak?
Doesn't diesel smell like fuel at least a little?

This feels like water with an oily residue no smell.

I wish I had a place to take it and work on it. Believe me I don't want to give up. I was going to write the mgr here a note and tell him tow truck won't tow me until I secure the engine or something.

I am Parked in a RV park that's being demolished it really is the best place for me to be but the mgr is being a dick. He could easily give me till May 1st which is the residents move out date. And post some Craigslist ads for parking space.

I was going to offer this mgr $20 a day but I need realistic time frame. Drop fuel tank and drain....Bleed air from lines, replace bolts, secure engine, repair wiring, make safe driving?
5 days 8? 20? , Anybody want to call the mgr and tell him that your working with me and it should take xx days to get running. I need a knight in rusted armor. He doesn't believe anything I say now.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:33 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Gas? Better not be!!!!!! Sure looks like diesel to me. Probably leaking from the lift pump or a line to it.

He may have intended, and succeeded, to really mess you up, but that still looks like the work of a complete idiot. 'Course, he's an idiot for not doing right by a girl who likes old diesels, but that's another topic.....

Diesel does NOT smell like gasoline, if that's what you're wondering. It smells like.... well.... like diesel. Remove the fuel filter (you got nothing to lose now...) and give it a whiff, and commit that smell to memory. If you're thinking of changing your mind about the bus, or thinking of getting another IDI, you will NEED to be familiar with the smell of raw diesel fuel, and how to distingiush it from the other fluids. Something as simple as knowing the distinct smells of diesel, lube oil, ATF and brake fluid (and gasoline, I suppose.... ) can be a major time- and grief-saving diagnostic tool.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:42 PM
TravelingTiny
Freshman User
This is my flaw

Originally Posted by madpogue
Gas? Better not be!!!!!! Sure looks like diesel to me. ....
i am not good with words, I know I meant diesel but my mouth doesn't or in this case fingers......

He didn't want me to leave......That's his motivation and intentions. Since he's the only one who showed up to help he was feeling powerful....

I just couldn't get anyone to help that will deal with his drama.

Block heater has to be source of this leak/pour.

I need guidance on priorities while I wait for $$ to tow somewhere.

Drop tank and drain....That's supposed to be fuel tastes like water maybe some pee?

Get new locking gas cap booby trap with c4 and razor blades?

Old 04-18-2017, 07:56 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If it's the block heater, that's coolant. Oh yeah, that's the other smell you should get to know well, whatever vehicle you own. VERY distinct alcohol smell. Not always a "sweet" smell anymore; some coolant mfrs are (FINALLY!) adding bittering agents to anti-freeze, so it's not so attractive for animals to lick up and die.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:08 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
If it is the block heater leakIng the fix would be pull it out and get one of those expandable freeze plugs and put in it. If he drained just the radiator he only got about half the coolant out there is still a bunch in the oil cooler and block. Standard capacity is 8 gallons.

Did it run before he jacked with it

Old 04-18-2017, 09:07 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
summary
Ran before running out of fuel
bf messed with injector lines and wires
verified some type of fuel is getting to IP and leaking ( liquid in bucket looks funny) and fss working
missing glow plug
found fluid above starter could be residual from leak at IP pump
no fuel at #1

Questions

Who put more fuel in tank?
Positive diesel not gas?
has fuel filter been changed and filled with fresh diesel?
where lines loose at IP?

Old 04-18-2017, 10:56 PM
TravelingTiny
Freshman User
summary
Ran before running out of fuel
bf messed with injector lines and wires
verified some type of fuel is getting to IP and leaking ( liquid in bucket looks funny) and fss working
missing glow plug
found fluid above starter could be residual from leak at IP pump
no fuel at #1

Questions

Who put more fuel in tank?
Positive diesel not gas?
has fuel filter been changed and filled with fresh diesel?
where lines loose at IP?

I put 5 gallons in from gas station into new gas can then into tank, then a couple weeks ago I did it again from gas station into gas can and directly into tank

We've been arguing over fuel filter. Is there a filter before the housing that holds fuel/water separator? I can't find one he says yes. The image above all expanded answers it for me. Just double checking. Either way no not until Sunday. I bought one two weeks​ago, didn't fit.

No the lines weren't loose by hand need to check in the morning.

" get one of those expandable freeze plugs and put in it
"
What is expandable freeze plug where do I get one.

Getting motorcraft glow plugs Sunday

Yes it was coolant​.. with oily residue

Old 04-18-2017, 11:27 PM
TravelingTiny
Freshman User
Yes it ran great, we had replaced the starter and ignition (key broke)mid January after purchase on Christmas Eve

We Installed new low pressure return lines and orings last check. Looks great, no leaks.

I think I am still going to drain the fuel assuming mgr lightens up some.

I need to replace or repair sending unit. I tried new wires and connects Not reading tank levels in instrument panel and I am pretty worried about intentional damages. Besides I'd like to know from beginning to end on the system I only have 6 months before I'm supposed to leave for my road trip around the US. If I am going alone I need all the knowledge and confidence only experience can bring.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:54 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by TravelingTiny
I need to replace or repair sending unit. .
That's going to be hard, assuming the buses are designed with the same system as the vans. Turns out that the Diesel IDI trucks have replacement senders. However, Diesel IDI vans (and probably the buses) don't have any replacement senders on the market anymore.

Assuming you have the 22 gallon rear tank like my van, you can try to modify a gasser truck sender. I explain how to do that in my write up here: Installation of new fuel tank sender for Ford IDI diesel vans. Long story short: The gasser truck senders are closest to the IDI Van senders. Do NOT buy a truck IDI sender. It will not work at all.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:12 AM
TravelingTiny
Freshman User
Originally Posted by genscripter
That's going to be hard, assuming the buses are designed with the same system as the vans. Turns out that the Diesel IDI trucks have replacement senders. However, Diesel IDI vans (and probably the buses) don't have any replacement senders on the market anymore.

Assuming you have the 22 gallon rear tank like my van, you can try to modify a gasser truck sender. I explain how to do that in my write up here: Installation of new fuel tank sender for Ford IDI diesel vans. Long story short: The gasser truck senders are closest to the IDI Van senders. Do NOT buy a truck IDI sender. It will not work at all.
yep I read that one and marked under instructions I'm my encyclopedia!. I've spent last 2 months 4 to 5 days a week reading relevant forum threads, plus Chilton's and other forums on the 7.3 idi

Hoping for a space to fix this baby before someone offers me enough cash to leave the beach. Might just drop it tomorrow and not let mgr bug me...Not like he's gonna pay the 200 bucks to tow me away.

I have pickapart close is it easy to pick up another that way?

Old 04-19-2017, 05:33 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
This may be of help also
School Bus Conversion Resources

The freeze plug any parts store. Unless it is poring out I would get it running first.

For the filter make sure it is for a Ford 7.3 IDI not 7.3 Powerstrove or International. I think the filter system is a Ford thing or the bus builder may have put a different filter system on it.

Do you have the old filter?

The school bus forum above might be a better place for some of theses issues, not trying to r7n you off just give you more information.

Alot of thing change from complete trucks and vans to incomplete ones. Ford put as muchh or little on them as the end user wanted.

By the way who built the bus

Old 04-19-2017, 07:54 AM
TravelingTiny
Freshman User
It's a e350 cutaway with shuttle bus added by Startrans

Quick Reply: Boyfriend & Rat killed my 93 e350 shuttle bus 7.3 idi