Intake thump and more...... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Intake thump and more......

Old 04-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Post Fiend

TooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to behold
Intake thump and more......

Removed the frustration whining....

Post Christmas the truck may not travel for months, but to keep the turbo clean I get a run around the block every 1-2 weeks. With my neck really bothering me lately it sat for 3-4 weeks.

So during a delayed start I heard something, then stopped. Set up the iPhone and jumped the starter. Jumping isn't going to engage the injectors.

I took the iPhone vid inspection so I could review it on the big screen to see any details. I don’t see excessive looseness that would be a bent pushrod or issues with the rockers, although there may be one. I really haven’t had to get deep into a 6.0, so if there is something subtle I may miss it.

Considering the delay start and thump went away with starting, maybe it was a case of a lazy valve from not running. Maybe....

Any thoughts from others who have been into this motor?

Last edited by TooManyToys.; 04-11-2017 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Different video
Old 04-11-2017, 01:31 PM
Elder User

jsm180 has a good reputation on FTE.jsm180 has a good reputation on FTE.jsm180 has a good reputation on FTE.
I had random 4 & 6 contribution codes up to 175k. Ran Archoil for 2 years and 25k miles both in the oil and fuel along with 5w40 syn, didn't help with the codes, ran quiet for a while but eventually the noise came back. Fresh oil helped some but after 2500 miles the noise was back. I replaced all 8 injectors with Ford remans and the engine has run smooth and quiet since, I'm at 202k now and run 15w40 with Ford cetane booster as the only additive.
Your thump sounds like it's intake related but no idea what it would be. Any idea what your oil pressure is at idle? How about a wear metals oil check?
Old 04-11-2017, 02:26 PM
Post Fiend

TooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to behold
That kind of compression back into either the intake or exhaust typically has been associated with bent pushrods or damaged rockers. I can't blame the injectors without the FICM engaged.

Typically I don't monitor oil pressure. A few years back I moved my fuel pressure sensor to the oil pressure cap and cold it went right to 75psi, but as typical dropped low when hot. But the level I don't remember.

After a few minutes running and about an hour cool down, this is what a re jumped crankover sounded like.

Prior to this thump, the plan was check for slightly bent pushrod that when the oil is hot and thin may be causing a valvetrain tick, and replace the even bank of injectors due the IDS charts.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:37 PM
Elder User

jsm180 has a good reputation on FTE.jsm180 has a good reputation on FTE.jsm180 has a good reputation on FTE.
I don't hear anything there out of the ordinary. Have you tried cranking with the air cleaner off?
Old 04-11-2017, 05:08 PM
Post Fiend

That one sounded fine.

That was the last spin of the motor as it's torn down for the visual inspection now.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:13 PM
Post Fiend

WatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to behold
I'd replace all the push rods Jack, you could even do the bridges, wouldn't cost much and eliminate any issues there without lenghtly measuring.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:48 PM
Post Fiend

The original plan was I got the tool to pull all the rods so I could check them for straightness, then go from there. That thump just really has me freaked out as you can tell from the original post. Plus given I wasn't sure back in '08 it was a good move investing that kind of money into the truck. So the thump causes a good smack on the side of the head for me. There's more to this story too.

Number 8 has the most amount of play, so I'll probably start pulling injectors tomorrow and then pushrods.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:53 PM
Post Fiend

WatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to beholdWatsonR is a splendid one to behold
I would think if it's a push rod, the short rods would amplify the issue. May help you narrow it down.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:40 PM
Elder User

Maybe the video is messing up the sound but it does not sound internal, wish you were closer. Can you do a power balance check?
Old 04-11-2017, 06:41 PM
Posting Guru

Benchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to allBenchwrench is a name known to all
I can hear what you're talking about in the video.
have you checked for a misfire/skip at the exhaust with a piece of paper, it should stay consistent and not flap.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:35 AM
Post Fiend

Nope, didn't do that. It's torn down to having the oil rails off as in the video inspection so can't try that right now.

Has anyone heard the "bent pushrod thump" after a long sitting period with a 6.0?
Old 04-12-2017, 09:46 AM
Postmaster

navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyToys. View Post
Nope, didn't do that. It's torn down to having the oil rails off as in the video inspection so can't try that right now.

Has anyone heard the "bent pushrod thump" after a long sitting period with a 6.0?
I see you run the Everstart's Jack.
Have had good luck with them as well on my end. I would not normally darken china marts door for batteries but I think it's a pretty decent battery. Johnson Controls IIRC makes them
Old 04-12-2017, 10:17 AM
Posting Guru

Copper.Farm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Copper.Farm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Jack,

I'm cross linking to this thread in 6.4L because speakerfritz has an excellent description of the thumping, he has rebuilt the rockers and replaced the push rods in his truck. The thump in your video is very pronounced, could be intake valves not opening enough.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ing-sound.html

This would be the first time I've heard of the rockers / push rods going on a 6.0L where as it seems more common on the 08 6.4L. As you build up your research, it is my understanding that the rocker part numbers are now the same for 6.0L and 6.4L. Also there is a special torque sequence for 6.0L vs 6.4L.

Here is the detailed thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nd-tricks.html

Last edited by Copper.Farm; 04-12-2017 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Dropped the 6.4L pictures as they are in the detail thread
Old 04-12-2017, 10:30 AM
Posting Guru

Copper.Farm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Copper.Farm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Here is the detailed thread by speakerfritz

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nd-tricks.html
Old 04-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Elder User

Learn something new everyday, never heard that on a gas engine.

Jack, maybe you have a lifter bleeding down.