Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Truck!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 09:13 AM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ohh, those are nice!

However, it seems the offset off the factory wheels makes them sit in a little further, meaning with these new tires I'll get even more rubbing!

Old 04-27-2017, 04:00 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
What is the offset on your current wheels? Have you considered spacers? I have heard many conflicting thoughts on them.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:07 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
I'm not sure, honestly. I need can't find any info on them, because I don't know what to search for, and I'm too lazy with all the other work to pull a wheel and take a close look.

When it comes to spacers, I've NEVER been comfortable with them. Some people use them and love them and never had a complaint. I guess for a road car I'd feel a little easier, especially if it was something that bolted to the hub itself for additional security.

However, on a working truck like that that sees all sorts of terrain and loads, I will NOT use spacers.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:31 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
So, I've got a question concerning the turn signal stalk; is it always really easy for it to click off at the slightest movement of the steering wheel?

It's to the point where it will return to the shut off position when I START making my turn. The sensitivity to motion is so high that even just keeping the wheel straight going down a turn lane before making a turn will often times shut off the damn thing.

Occasionally it won't lock into place, usually when turning right. Is there some kind of clock spring mechanism that's worn out?

Old 04-28-2017, 01:56 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Azryael
So, I've got a question concerning the turn signal stalk; is it always really easy for it to click off at the slightest movement of the steering wheel?

It's to the point where it will return to the shut off position when I START making my turn. The sensitivity to motion is so high that even just keeping the wheel straight going down a turn lane before making a turn will often times shut off the damn thing.

Occasionally it won't lock into place, usually when turning right. Is there some kind of clock spring mechanism that's worn out?
I had the same issue and with a standard shift it was not fun. A brand new one is only about 25.00. check EBAY. Easy install too just plug and play. Glad I did it.

Old 04-28-2017, 02:24 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
I'll grab a new one, then!

Old 05-01-2017, 12:34 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Well, I was going to go for the cheapest, but I came to the realization that in most cases, OEM is the only way to go. I only ever get OEM for any of my Mercedes when I can, and often just look for the best deal on the web. Pay now and cry once, as they say!

Ordered a Motorcraft replacement turn signal stalk, and it just arrived!

Will be getting it installed in a bit.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:15 AM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Took the chance at rewrapping my steering wheel instead of taking a chance on finding one in a yard in good shape or spending a hefty sum on eBay for one not much better than the shape mine was in.

I've never worked with leather like this before, and stitching was never my strong suit, but after this I really like leatherworking and my stitching skills definitely saw some improvement.

Is it perfect? Not even close. My stitches are still off in many areas, and the pieces weren't cut exactly perfect, but it was my first time and I was kinda in a hurry to get it done so I can drive my truck again. If I had to do it again, I'd go with a thicker, stronger leather.

Anyway, here's before:

And here's after:

I went with royal blue thread for the stitching to match the exterior of my truck. I like it!

Old 05-03-2017, 09:59 AM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Here it is back in the truck:

Just need to get that other horn pad with the blue oval!

Old 05-04-2017, 07:07 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
So last night I swapped in some LEDs for the brake lights, and they looked great and worked great.

However, on my drive this morning, I noticed I had no cruise, and that at 60+ mph, the transmission would shift back and forth between 3rd and 4th. If I was on the accelerator at that speed it would shift up to 4; conversely letting off the accelerator to maintain my velocity would cause the transmission to shift back into 3rd!

So, I was smart and carried my original incandescent bulbs and simply swapped them out. Cruise control was back and no more wonky shifting.

It would seem that while these LEDs worked, they draw so little current that the truck thinks they're out, so that disables the cruise control, which in turn somehow also affects the TPS (this is my best guess) somehow.

Should have opted for the CAN-BUS compatible bulbs; certainly this could be fixed with a resistor, but I'm not going to go through all that right now.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:06 AM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
So last night I swapped in some LEDs for the brake lights, and they looked great and worked great.

However, on my drive this morning, I noticed I had no cruise, and that at 60+ mph, the transmission would shift back and forth between 3rd and 4th. If I was on the accelerator at that speed it would shift up to 4; conversely letting off the accelerator to maintain my velocity would cause the transmission to shift back into 3rd!

So, I was smart and carried my original incandescent bulbs and simply swapped them out. Cruise control was back and no more wonky shifting.

It would seem that while these LEDs worked, they draw so little current that the truck thinks they're out, so that disables the cruise control, which in turn somehow also affects the TPS (this is my best guess) somehow.

Should have opted for the CAN-BUS compatible bulbs; certainly this could be fixed with a resistor, but I'm not going to go through all that right now.
I have replaced every bulb in my truck with LED'S except the headlights and dash lights with 0 issues, all I needed to do was install an electronic flasher. No resistors needed.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Fastback460
I have replaced every bulb in my truck with LED'S except the headlights and dash lights with 0 issues, all I needed to do was install an electronic flasher. No resistors needed.
Is your truck stick? I can't see the sig on the mobile deal. It was the most bizarre thing, but I swapped the lights and all was normal again. I've never seen something so odd.

Where did you get your bulbs? I got mine from super bright, like usual.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:57 AM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
I posted from my phone, that's why my sig didn't show up....lol. Yes it's an automatic with the E4OD, and I got my bulbs from Super Bright also.
It actually is a pretty common problem with LED's in these trucks, normally the flashers will blink really fast as if the bulb is blown and the torque converter will get all screwy.

I was told I would need resistors, but I just picked up some electronic flashers from autozone and that did the trick. Autozone Don't forget to get one for the hazards aswell

Did you only do the brake lights so far?

Old 05-05-2017, 11:25 AM
sandymane
Lead Driver
[QUOTE=Azryael;17162030].

Is it perfect? Not even close. My stitches are still off in many areas, and the pieces weren't cut exactly perfect, but it was my first time and I was kinda in a hurry to get it done so I can drive my truck again. If I had to do it again, I'd go with a thicker, stronger leather.

I put a leather cover on my old Z3 and made some mistakes in the stitching. I called the vendor and they gladly sent me another spool of stitching. When I redid it, it took about 1/3 the time and it was much better. I tightened up the stitching a lot. I also did it on the car and the stability helped.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:38 PM
Azryael
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Fastback460
I posted from my phone, that's why my sig didn't show up....lol. Yes it's an automatic with the E4OD, and I got my bulbs from Super Bright also.
It actually is a pretty common problem with LED's in these trucks, normally the flashers will blink really fast as if the bulb is blown and the torque converter will get all screwy.

I was told I would need resistors, but I just picked up some electronic flashers from autozone and that did the trick. Autozone Don't forget to get one for the hazards aswell

Did you only do the brake lights so far?
Did my brakes and dash lights for the cluster. Interestingly, my indicators flashed normally; there wasn't any hyperflashing.

[QUOTE=sandymane;17168163]

I put a leather cover on my old Z3 and made some mistakes in the stitching. I called the vendor and they gladly sent me another spool of stitching. When I redid it, it took about 1/3 the time and it was much better. I tightened up the stitching a lot. I also did it on the car and the stability helped.
See, I cut the whole cover myself. I cut the old one apart and then did my best to mark it out on the leather. I made it too wide in some areas too and didn't account for the stretching as much as I thought I did. I enjoyed it though, and plan to do it again on another car!

Quick Reply: My First Truck!