Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 V10 Still Stalls After Dealer Fix/Diagnostic Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 11:30 AM
Silver-n-black
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by R&T Babich
The second relay removes the high current load on the contacts of the OEM relay.
If I measured the resistance of the fuel pump correctly it draws 15A thru a 20A relay.
The second relay is mounted to the right of the glove box and can easily be changed.
I did not have a problem with the OEM fuel pump relay, but it seems to be a weak link.
I also added 2 switches that allows changing the circuit back to original or connect the fuel pump directly to the battery for troubleshooting.
I also added a voltmeter to monitor system voltage and connected it at the inertia switch output to the fuel pump.

You can get a BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool on Amazon for $22., but it's for Android devices.
There are units available for Apple devices, too.
Torque Pro from Google for $4.99 works fine.
There are others that are probably fine, too.
R&T Babich,

I own a 2003 V10 with the same issue as OP. I have a feeling the problem we are having is with the pump relay. Do you have any picture on how you added the second relay?

Old 04-12-2017, 08:55 PM
hambass
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Found this post on random Ford answer site, he lists parts that were changed to try and fix the problem:

I have a 2003 Ford Excursion 6.8 V10 that has a range ndom stalling problem. Nothing is consistent with the stalling out and it is completely random. The interior power and lights still work when it stalls. It always restarts after the ignition is turned off for 45 seconds to 1 minute. Sometimes it happens 30 seconds apart, sometimes 5 minutes and sometimes weeks between episodes.
I have replaced the MAF sensor, IAC valve, crank position sensor, cam position sensor, PCV, fuel filter and fuel pump recently to try to tackle this problem and have not had success. I have swapped relays and combed the wiring for bad grounds and freyed wires.
The only thing that seems to work (temporarily) is when I reset the PCM by pulling the negative battery terminal and installing a small gauge alligator clip set between the disconnected ground and positive and leave it that way for 45 min to an hour.
Any ideas here or should I go to the next step and replace the PCM?

Old 04-12-2017, 11:15 PM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by hambass
Found this post on random Ford answer site, he lists parts that were changed to try and fix the problem:

I have a 2003 Ford Excursion 6.8 V10 that has a random stalling problem. Nothing is consistent with the stalling out and it is completely random. The interior power and lights still work when it stalls. It always restarts after the ignition is turned off for 45 seconds to 1 minute. Sometimes it happens 30 seconds apart, sometimes 5 minutes and sometimes weeks between episodes. ....
It seems likely the problem is with fuel delivery since the battery seems to be fine.
But, there is no mention of what the fuel pressure is when this happens.
This should be the first thing to check.

... I have replaced the MAF sensor, IAC valve, crank position sensor, cam position sensor, PCV, fuel filter and fuel pump recently to try to tackle this problem and have not had success. ...
If the fuel pressure is low most of the items changed above won't help.
Oh, he said that.

... I have swapped relays and combed the wiring for bad grounds and freyed wires. ...
Not sure what relays were swapped.
On a 2003 Excursion the fuel pump relay is not easy to change.
I'm guessing the fuel pump relay was not swapped, maybe the PCM was.

... The only thing that seems to work (temporarily) is when I reset the PCM by pulling the negative battery terminal and installing a small gauge alligator clip set between the disconnected ground and positive and leave it that way for 45 min to an hour. ...
Anyone have any idea what this would do?

Old 04-17-2017, 09:58 AM
Silver-n-black
Freshman User
Hambass any update?

Old 04-17-2017, 10:39 AM
hambass
Cross-Country
Today I am removing my fuse box (oops, I meant Central Junction Box) and sending it to fivestarrepair on eBay to have it rebuilt/fuel pump relay fixed.

If successful, I will post a full tutorial.

Also, as much as I would like to wait it out and see if the fuel pump relay is in fact the culprit, I am also performing other maintenance.

So...I'm doing a full plug change and 10 Denso COPS, along with a new OEM negative battery cable. The negative battery cable/bad grounds have also been a suspect for the stalling.

It will be interesting to see if the fuel pump relay is burned out due to wear/age, and not due to water damage. The fuse black on the 2003 is located under the steering column at the front of your knees...and I really don't see how any water could have leaked into that location.

BTW, pretty common issue on Expeditions; thus the repair service.

Sidenote...also installing KYB MonoMax, PowerStop rotors and pads, and most likely, new BF Goodrich AT's. The truck needs some love...

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-17-2017, 11:41 AM
Silver-n-black
Freshman User
Today I am removing my fuse box (oops, I meant Central Junction Box) and sending it to fivestarrepair on eBay to have it rebuilt/fuel pump relay fixed.

If successful, I will post a full tutorial.

Also, as much as I would like to wait it out and see if the fuel pump relay is in fact the culprit, I am also performing other maintenance.

So...I'm doing a full plug change and 10 Denso COPS, along with a new OEM negative battery cable. The negative battery cable/bad grounds have also been a suspect for the stalling.

It will be interesting to see if the fuel pump relay is burned out due to wear/age, and not due to water damage. The fuse black on the 2003 is located under the steering column at the front of your knees...and I really don't see how any water could have leaked into that location.

BTW, pretty common issue on Expeditions; thus the repair service.

Sidenote...also installing KYB MonoMax, PowerStop rotors and pads, and most likely, new BF Goodrich AT's. The truck needs some love...

I saw a few post and youtube video's talking about the Expeditions having this issue. Going to check out 5 star repairs keep me posted. I miss driving my EX. You are for sure adding a bunch of good stuff to your truck.

I notice on the 2003 Expeditions the fuel pump relay is on the back of the Central Junction box. Let me know if that's the case for the 03 EX. Read that the relay is behind the radio.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:37 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
The 2002-on Excursions and Super Duty trucks, regardless of the engine, do NOT have an accessible fuel pump relay behind the radio. The fuel pump relay was soldered onto the CJB circuit board and is not easily replaceable.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:59 PM
hambass
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
The 2002-on Excursions and Super Duty trucks, regardless of the engine, do NOT have an accessible fuel pump relay behind the radio. The fuel pump relay was soldered onto the CJB circuit board and is not easily replaceable.
Yes, thanks for the clarification.

I removed the CJB in about a half hour and I'm sending it out for repair.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:22 PM
Silver-n-black
Freshman User
Yes, thanks for the clarification.

I removed the CJB in about a half hour and I'm sending it out for repair.
Can you share a picture of the back of it? I thinking about removing mind and sending it out too.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:37 PM
hambass
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Silver-n-black
Can you share a picture of the back of it? I thinking about removing mind and sending it out too.
Sure.

I watched this video

The box comes off in the same manner, except for the following two notes:

The largest plug closest to the steering wheel has the finger slot. Stick your finger in and jiggle and the plug will release itself (the pluc that is about 1.5 inches long).
The positive cable into the box has a cap over the bottom. Remove it, and then unscrew the positive lead, 10mm nuts on all.

Disconnect the positive cable first!

Old 04-17-2017, 06:10 PM
Silver-n-black
Freshman User
Thanks, bud.

Couldn't wait to I pulled my out too. Going for repair tomorrow morning.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:15 PM
hambass
Cross-Country
Mine is shipped for delivery on Wednesday. Fingers crossed.

The dollar amount will be about the same as buying a used unit off eBay (I had to get a rental car for the week). But, hopefully the fix will be good for another 10-15 years.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:50 AM
Silver-n-black
Freshman User
Mine is shipped for delivery on Wednesday. Fingers crossed.

The dollar amount will be about the same as buying a used unit off eBay (I had to get a rental car for the week). But, hopefully the fix will be good for another 10-15 years.
Update? Mine is getting shipped back from them. Should have it sometime next week.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:37 AM
hambass
Cross-Country
Mine is arriving Wednesday. Check your PM when you can, I have a quick question.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:11 AM
gapman789
Tuned
Any updates hambass?.....inquiring minds wanna know.
Thanks

Quick Reply: 2003 V10 Still Stalls After Dealer Fix/Diagnostic Help Please!