Sponsored by: DP Tuner

1999 F450 Dana 80 Detroit Locker No Spin

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 09:48 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
1999 F450 Dana 80 Detroit Locker No Spin

Over the weekend I installed my locker and swapped the 4.88 for 4.10 gears. Only got these 2 pictures sadly. The oldest boy knocked a tv tray over on the baby so I spent most of Saturday in the ER with him waiting for stiches on his nose. he is ok though tough little kid. My Dad was helping me and he got the Pinion depth set while I was gone. He said it took a few times to get it correct. I got the carrier shimmed good on the third try it was just a pain to keep everything lined up together and push it in. the carrier stuck out just past the bearings so I had to hold the race and shims in place and push it in as a unit.

I am very happy with the results so far. Unlocking and locking is hardly noticeable. It will break both loose on a corner if you step on it too much. (edit if you put it to the floor when turning taking off at a stop sign. had to "test" and see what would happen) Driving to work today on wet pavement I spun it unlocked turning left at a stop sign when I took off the left slipped a touch then the right locked back in and pulled nicely. No big clunk or bang just the truck accelerating. the only think I notice is when you are going down the road and lift off the throttle. You can feel the parts in the locker move as the wheels start to "drive" the driveline. Not bad at all. the part number was 225SL105A the "L" means it is the "new and improved" design that is supposed to disengage and engage smoother so that may have been a help. no clue when that was implemented because I bought the locker second hand but new in box. it looked like it had been on a shelf some time.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:45 AM
stevedrums
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
I am very happy with the results so far. Unlocking and locking is hardly noticeable. It will break both loose on a corner if you step on it too much. driving to work today on wet pavement I spun it unlocked turning left at a stop sign when I took off the left slipped a touch then the right locked back in and pulled nicely. No big clunk or bang just the truck accelerating. the only think I notice is when you are going down the road and lift off the throttle. You can feel the parts in the locker move as the wheels start to "drive" the driveline. Not bad at all. the part number was 225SL105A the "L" means it is the "new and improved" design that is supposed to disengage and engage smoother so that may have been a help. no clue when that was implemented because I bought the locker second hand but new in box. it looked like it had been on a shelf some time.
great addition to the dually, glad that it's working good for you.
a Detroit locker in a daily driver isn't for everyone though. as someone who lives in a snowy climate, they can be disastrous in limited traction situations at speed, and low speed in snow/ice on a side-slope can have you in a ditch as well.
anyone looking into a positive traction device in a daily driver should consider the detroit trutrac LSD. i haven't actually used one but i've heard great things - and no clutches.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:42 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by stevedrums
great addition to the dually, glad that it's working good for you.
a Detroit locker in a daily driver isn't for everyone though. as someone who lives in a snowy climate, they can be disastrous in limited traction situations at speed, and low speed in snow/ice on a side-slope can have you in a ditch as well.
anyone looking into a positive traction device in a daily driver should consider the detroit trutrac LSD. i haven't actually used one but i've heard great things - and no clutches.
Yep. I considered that first but my Dad had those in his 78 F150 and thought I would like the locker better. I was on the fence between the 2 so I took his advice since he would be helping with the install. edit Needed to avoid the I told you so and other fatherly stuff

Old 04-10-2017, 04:32 PM
Dirtscooter250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
Yep. I considered that first but my Dad had those in his 78 F150 and thought I would like the locker better. I was on the fence between the 2 so I took his advice since he would be helping with the install. edit Needed to avoid the I told you so and other fatherly stuff
Be careful if you slam the brakes on with one side on a slippery surface and other with grip. It will try to spin you around!

Old 04-10-2017, 05:14 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
OK...I need a lesson here...to me a Detroit Locker is locked solid all of the time, like there is one solid axle coming across from one side to the other. Brandon is describing what sounds more like a LS to me. I'm pretty clueless about what goes on inside the pumpkin and I don't know what makes a LS lock either. Under what circumstances is the DL locked or not locked?

Old 04-10-2017, 09:41 PM
stevedrums
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
OK...I need a lesson here...to me a Detroit Locker is locked solid all of the time, like there is one solid axle coming across from one side to the other. Brandon is describing what sounds more like a LS to me. I'm pretty clueless about what goes on inside the pumpkin and I don't know what makes a LS lock either. Under what circumstances is the DL locked or not locked?
under any sort of torque, a locker is "solid"

Old 04-11-2017, 08:10 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
It is locked most of the time and locked is the default position. I read somewhere it is better to think of it as an "unlocker". If not under load when turning the outer wheel will unlock and can "coast" or be driven by the road FASTER than the ring gear and inside wheel.
Here is a video that shows it somewhat. Start at 2 minutes

Old 07-24-2017, 09:22 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Update I have about 6800 miles on the locker. No problems still happy. Just made an 1100 mile trip towing and loved the 4.10 gearing.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:37 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Update I have about 20,000 miles on the locker install. No problems to report.