Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 f150 shifter stuck in 3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 10:02 PM
Ksanglem
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 f150 shifter stuck in 3rd gear

Hello my husband purchased the truck and had it a few months on the way home from work he shifted into 3rd gear and now the shifter will not move at all it is stuck in 3rd. Where shold he start looking for what needs repaired

Old 04-07-2017, 09:37 AM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
Did he have any symptoms before it happened. Grinding, hard to shift, sticking in a gear etc? Clutch working good?

Old 04-07-2017, 10:02 AM
MtTheJeffro
Senior User
Probably the M5OD trans. May have blown out one of the shifter stops or just finally killed a shift fork.

Pull back the carpet, remove the shifter, remove the floor panel/dog house. Remove the top cover of the transmission. Either the shift forks are very worn or the stopper blocks for the 3rd gear shift rail blew out. I went thru this as well but it was stuck in 2nd gear for me on a 1992 F150

Old 04-07-2017, 10:31 AM
Ksanglem
Senior User
Originally Posted by sandymane
Did he have any symptoms before it happened. Grinding, hard to shift, sticking in a gear etc? Clutch working good?
he said it happened once before but he was able to break it free. This time there is no breaking it free

Old 04-07-2017, 10:45 AM
Ksanglem
Senior User
Originally Posted by MtTheJeffro
Probably the M5OD trans. May have blown out one of the shifter stops or just finally killed a shift fork.

Pull back the carpet, remove the shifter, remove the floor panel/dog house. Remove the top cover of the transmission. Either the shift forks are very worn or the stopper blocks for the 3rd gear shift rail blew out. I went thru this as well but it was stuck in 2nd gear for me on a 1992 F150
so what was the repair like replace the entire transmission?

Old 04-07-2017, 11:35 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The shift forks are an easy job with just removing the lid. Knock a couple pins and some plugs out and forks come right off.

If the blocker rings/springs came apart then yes you have to replace(rebuild) transmission.

Common issues with these transmissions.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:07 PM
Ksanglem
Senior User
Originally Posted by Freightrain
The shift forks are an easy job with just removing the lid. Knock a couple pins and some plugs out and forks come right off.

If the blocker rings/springs came apart then yes you have to replace(rebuild) transmission.

Common issues with these transmissions.

it's a 2 wheel drive does that make a difference in accessing the top panel from the floor board

Old 04-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Shouldn't. Just pull the carpet up, unbolt the floorboard panel, unbolt shifter cover and pull up. Might take some finesse since it is stuck in 3rd.

The arm nearest the front(engine) is 4-3, rearward is 2-1. 5-R is in the tailhousing and works by the lever sticking up in the back of the case on the drivers side.

If the forks(shown in pic) are ground down to a point on the ends(or gone completely), that is likely the issue. If you can slide the 3-4 slider(on the main shaft move it forward) back into neutral position then there is not an issue with it. Buy some new forks(might as well get both).

Drain fluid and replace to help get rid of all the steel particles that area floating in the bottom of the case.

Put shifter arms in neutral, makes sure the transmission is in neutral also. Slide the cover back on carefully. Install couple bolts and then work shifter to make sure everyone is working good.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:01 PM
Ksanglem
Senior User
Shouldn't. Just pull the carpet up, unbolt the floorboard panel, unbolt shifter cover and pull up. Might take some finesse since it is stuck in 3rd.

The arm nearest the front(engine) is 4-3, rearward is 2-1. 5-R is in the tailhousing and works by the lever sticking up in the back of the case on the drivers side.

If the forks(shown in pic) are ground down to a point on the ends(or gone completely), that is likely the issue. If you can slide the 3-4 slider(on the main shaft move it forward) back into neutral position then there is not an issue with it. Buy some new forks(might as well get both).

Drain fluid and replace to help get rid of all the steel particles that area floating in the bottom of the case.

Put shifter arms in neutral, makes sure the transmission is in neutral also. Slide the cover back on carefully. Install couple bolts and then work shifter to make sure everyone is working good.
ok great thank you that is going to be his task this weekend I took a look and can see where the bolts to take the top cover off are so it shouldn't be to bad hopefully it's just the forks

Old 04-07-2017, 01:52 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Ksanglem
ok great thank you that is going to be his task this weekend I took a look and can see where the bolts to take the top cover off are so it shouldn't be to bad hopefully it's just the forks
When he removes the cover there will be 10 bolts holding the transmission cover on. Take those off and remove the cover. You can drain tranny later if you want there will be no spillage now. Post some pics of the shift forks and we can let you know if they need to be replaced which is probably the case. It is very easy to do if you do it correctly. Look up my post and you will find where I did mine and I have a good sequence for the fork replacement to make it very easy. There are a couple of other things he will probably need/want to do while doing the repair. It will all be in the post I mentioned above. We can help him get it done if the transmission gears are ok. Get him to read the post and get familiar with what he will be doing and then send the pics in. Sandy

Old 04-07-2017, 01:58 PM
Ksanglem
Senior User
When he removes the cover there will be 10 bolts holding the transmission cover on. Take those off and remove the cover. You can drain tranny later if you want there will be no spillage now. Post some pics of the shift forks and we can let you know if they need to be replaced which is probably the case. It is very easy to do if you do it correctly. Look up my post and you will find where I did mine and I have a good sequence for the fork replacement to make it very easy. There are a couple of other things he will probably need/want to do while doing the repair. It will all be in the post I mentioned above. We can help him get it done if the transmission gears are ok. Get him to read the post and get familiar with what he will be doing and then send the pics in. Sandy
I am not sure how to find your post

Old 04-07-2017, 01:59 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How about posting a link???

Old 04-07-2017, 02:24 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Oh, also when you get the shifter cover off, work the handle and make sure the forks move. The bushing in the top fail also and might have it jammed up.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:26 PM
Ksanglem
Senior User
Oh, also when you get the shifter cover off, work the handle and make sure the forks move. The bushing in the top fail also and might have it jammed up.
the shifter doesnt move at all

Old 04-07-2017, 02:26 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Ksanglem
I am not sure how to find your post
Click on my screen name on this post and it will give you a selection that says find all Sandymanes posts. Follow the ones that refer to shift rails. Or you can search for shift fork replacement and find plenty of info from other folks. Not sure how to send a single link containing all my shifter post so I apologize to MR White 97. Perhaps he can tell me how to do it since I have now told him how to find my post. Sandy

Quick Reply: 1995 f150 shifter stuck in 3rd gear