Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Is 2008 Escape Reliable? Prospective purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 08:15 PM
smtippin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is 2008 Escape Reliable? Prospective purchase

Hey all,
First post, so go easy on me. I'm US made loyal and often purchase a Blue Oval so Ford is a "comfortable" brand to purchase for me. I've been looking for a small SUV in AWD and found an 08 Ford Escape from a friend with the V6 motor who'd sell it pretty cheap. IT has about 140k on the clock and they deny any significant mechanical problems (trustworthy friends who wouldn't sell this to me if they had any doubts). As such, I'm really leaning toward purchasing this Escape, BUT started doing my research and heard that the CD4E transmission goes out in these pretty easily. I realize there is no good way (at least that I'm aware of) to predict transmission failure but I am wondering how prevalent tranny issues are in the 08 Escape and if there is any way to get a glimpse into the crystal ball of this Escape's future.

Any advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Thanks,
s

Old 04-04-2017, 06:12 AM
got2bjoester
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I can't address the '08 specifically, but I can relate my '02 experience:
The '02 only made a few long range trips and spent it's life doing the in-town stuff. It was AWD with a 4X4 switch that was seldom required. Sure footed and we never got it stuck.
We did make a trip to Florida once and ended up fighting our way through a snowstorm that wasn't supposed to come up the east coast but did. During one fuel stop we found out the highway had been closed - Snow was about 6- or 8 inches deep but we had no trouble...
Reliability -
Never had major mechanical issues. We did lose catalytic converters to failing COP's (coil on plug) before we diagnosed the random misfire associated with failing COP's.
Brakes are not specifically difficult, and the only true "what were the engineers thinking" issues we found were the intake covering the rear spark plugs (but still not a huge deal to remove/replace plugs) and the location of the alternator.
We sold the '02 and got a '12. So far, no regrets.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:25 PM
dbmac
New User
I have an 08 Escape Limited and it has been a fantastic car. I am just now starting to have an issue with the front cover leaking and a drip from the front axle. No tranny issues at all.
I have around 135K on it now.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:25 AM
smtippin
New User
In searching other threads on buying guides, I read that the rear shock mounts and front arm mounts were prone to rusting and can be quite troublesome. Living in Wyoming, we get out fair share of winter (weather forecast is calling for snow today), so salt trucks punish our undercarriages (though not nearly as bad as the rust belt). To that end, I expect some rust, I just don't know how much can be tolerated knowing full well rust takes over. With that in mind, what do you think of my prospective escape's rust? If I did this right, the pics should show the rear shock mount followed by the front driver's side suspension from behind then in front of the wheel. Sorry for the dirt.

s

Attached Images    
Old 04-09-2017, 11:34 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My mom had a 05 V6,FWD 135,000 MILES the passenger side rear shock mount rotted out.I put some patches in and it was fine. The 08 is the new or 2nd body style. I traded my 01 in 4x4 in with 198,000 miles and still kind of regret it. Wife drives a 2010 FWD. There great suv.If it is adeal and the history is good its all a bonus. But it is a 9 yr. old car it could have some rust issues most of the 08-21 pass. rear quarter get rust spots.There was a recall for the front cradle rusting, I don't remember which years were effected.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:37 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Can't speak to the 2008 but I do live in the rust belt and I would strongly suggest undercoating if you do. Have had my 2015 (about 35K miles on it)about 6 months and no problems but undercoating was first order of business. The 1.6 Ecoboost is very peppy and the AWD is excellent in snow and ice...

Old 04-10-2017, 07:13 AM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
IMO, you replace the transmission fluid and your replacement fluid should be a good synthetic. The transmission in the Escape/Mariner is not the most robust transmission out there.
The other enemy of the Escape is rust, as least in certain parts of the country.