Sponsored by:

Lifting a 77

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 07:45 AM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
moah action plez !

ck out the extensive info on the motors via ford6.
(more folks R begining to realize the benifits of the i6 ina bronk)
that & CB have been the only sources of info I've needed in
34 yrs of ownership (altho as a log skidder'n 'wrk truck)...

w/ur help may B this dead zone on FTE will B come a lill more lively?

Last edited by chrlsful; 07-18-2017 at 11:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-26-2017, 11:21 AM
svastano
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An Update, I have done absolutely zero on the bronco as of yet. I am just pondering the way I want to go. I really appreciate the help/links etc that everybody has sent. I will probably not get started on this until fall some time.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:45 PM
1TonBasecamp
Lead Driver
Received 731 Likes on 585 Posts
Just try to make it fall of this year if you can! I know how these things can get put off all too well.
Heck, had to go out and actually buy another one just to get the thrill of driving one again!

Paul

Old 11-18-2017, 08:14 PM
svastano
Mountain Pass
Well guys here is my 77 that I asked about the lift. Finally got it dug out of the garage and into a spot to work on it. I will be pulling the motor and tranny to go over them since it has been sitting so long (over 10 years) It is going to be a father daughter thing. My 15 year old is the one in the photo and she wants it.
Plans as of now are:
go over engine and tranny
3" body lift
33"s
Full roll cage
Paint

Old 11-18-2017, 09:11 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
make sure the roll bar/cage is tied into the frame...o0OPPp.

1st Q is all ways on "Application?" esp w/a multipurpose vehicle like a bronk (it can run off track quickly as "1/2 this, 1/2 that"). What is the end use, purpose? How will it B used (80% of the time)?

This dictates your 1st priority @ this time - research. (extensive, & it looks like you've begun that - may B well on the way if it's been around 10yrs). I just hopped onto this thread - haven't been following it well. 4got what's gone on B4. Please don't think me patronizing, who am I to tell U what to do... but I've seen too many folk waste time'n money by not using the PPPP principal (pre planning prevents p. poor product). They jump in & start w/o a final plan that is well thought out & carried all the way to the end. Change in midstream, short on $, change the use, etc.

Looks like you have a pretty decent 'canvas' to begin w/ but I'm not there to see better.
Your girl looks ready! & up to the process (long & arduous).

Old 11-19-2017, 07:02 AM
svastano
Mountain Pass
Appreciate the advice. Yes I agree you need to know what the end purpose will be. Fr me it is has to be a safe ride for my daughter, summer use only, and fair weather only. little or no off-roading. my original intent was a 4 or 6" lift with 35"s but as I discussed my plan with a good friend he pointed out the fact of a young driver and being up that high. I really like the look of 33" 35"s so I am going the safer route with 33"s and just a 3 in Body lift. As for your comment on the roll cage to the frame. Definitely! I have a friend that builds race car chassis and I will probably get a roll bar kit, family bar and then get him to tweek it and tie it to the frame. I will be adding bars that will better protect the drive and passenger from side impacts also mounts to the cage that the seats mount to. My biggest question at this point is the logistics of painting the undercarriage/frame before I get the cage put in but not having to re-do it after the cage is welded to the frame. I have thought of getting the underside coated with the spray on bed liner so that I would not have to mess with the painting process. From the photos you see the Bronco is a 2 tone green and we are completely changing the colors to a dark blue met for the main and silver accents. I know right now the body will be coming off so I can get to the undercarriage to work on it. I will post more as we progress.

Old 11-19-2017, 09:34 AM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
need for a roll cage?

many (as it sounds like ur going 4 a 'body off' resto) weld a sm square on frame w/a bolt plate above (4 wrench clearance) & have a plate on the down leg of the cage. Each plate is on opposite surfaces (top/bottom) of the body so a bolt goes thru the top plate (passenger/cabin side of the rig)thru the body & into the bottom plate (frame side of the body) in each of the 4 corners of the 2 plates. Course a pic is worth...but can't remember what site has good documentation ("CB"dotcom?)

It really sounds like U don't need any cage due to lack of off rd use.

I'd also suggest the lift B @ the suspension rather than the body. It's a lill "lower down" and safer 4 a new driver - less tippy IMO. Also no need for "tall tires" if it's a road vehicle (may B ur seeking a certain 'look'?).

Keep talkin~

Old 11-19-2017, 11:52 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by chrlsful
....It really sounds like U don't need any cage due to lack of off rd use....
I disagree with that. Without a roll cage you don't have any place to mount shoulder harnesses for back seat passengers. And although you might be more likely to roll off-road, most of those are more "flops" and even a simple bar, mounted to the body is plenty stout for that. On-road rolls have the potential to be much more violent due to the speeds. I think a cage is way more necessary on the road than on the trail.

I would agree that a 3" body lift is a lot. The "lower down" is actually less safe if anything (you are raising more weight so the center of gravity will be higher than if you left the frame, engine, trans etc lower with a body lift). But I just don't hear that much about body lifts that big, so I think you'll run into more trouble getting things to line up, as well as the additional leverage the body has on its mounting bolts, which could be a weak point. So personally I'd go with a more "normal" setup, with a small suspension lift and maybe add a small body lift, just to be dealing with more "normal" issues.

You haven't said what size of 33" tire you are thinking of. I'd recommend 33/10.50-15 rather than the more common 33/12.50-15s. The narrower tires handle a little better in my experience, as well as not throwing quite as much slop on the vehicle sides. They obviously don't have the "look" of wide tires, but they don't look like weinies either. The 1st picture of my Bronco back in post #2 of this thread has 33/10.50-15s.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:10 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
3 pt belt

nice 'slot' in framing above the drver's left shoulder & pass's rght 4 a plate/bolt...
wouder Y there's no cage/bar on oem?

Old 11-19-2017, 10:22 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by chrlsful
nice 'slot' in framing above the drver's left shoulder & pass's rght 4 a plate/bolt...
wouder Y there's no cage/bar on oem?
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. If you are suggesting that 3 point belts could be attached to the hard top, I certainly wouldn't recommend that. It's been years since I've had a Bronco hard top, but I don't recall it seeming strong enough for anything safety-related.

Also the factory roll bar does provide a much better place to attach shoulder harnesses for the front seat (unless the Bronco in question doesn't have that).

And my point was that you need a cage to put shoulder harnesses in the back seat. If you never have passengers (that you care about ) back there maybe that doesn't matter. But at least for my family that's pretty much a show-stopper for a street-driven vehicle.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:30 AM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
so there U have some different opinions.
Check the facts in magazines, on-line, and with local trusted garages, fabers, etc.
With a SYSTEM like an auto - each change effects the other parts.
Enjoy
AND
keep talkin!

Old 08-09-2019, 10:10 AM
svastano
Mountain Pass

Well really didn't post much of the progress on this build but it is mostly finished...

Old 08-09-2019, 11:56 AM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
I C a cage yet U say it's an "on rd vehicle" only?
Congrats on the finish !

Old 08-09-2019, 12:20 PM
svastano
Mountain Pass
Yes the cage is there but the whole body is Fiberglass....

Old 08-09-2019, 12:38 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
she like it? do mucha da wrk?

Quick Reply: Lifting a 77