Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are these in the engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 07:45 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by Willigaf
...I found a stepstool hiding in a family member's basement, that I used as a child to be able to reach the faucet and brush my teeth. Little red job with the words sit down to be small, and, step up to be tall...
So,

Up there in post #9, the missing distributor hold down, is the bolt broke off in the block or missing?

Old 04-15-2017, 12:15 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Scndsin
So,

Up there in post #9, the missing distributor hold down, is the bolt broke off in the block or missing?
You sir have an eye like a Hawk.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:19 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Scndsin
So,

I was going to say the same thing, snapped off.

OP plan on having one hell of a time removing the distributor, plugging the hole and then trying to drill the hold down bolt and easy out it out.

GOOD LUCK

Old 04-15-2017, 04:46 PM
Willigaf
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll stick a zip tie end down and see how far it goes. Everything else snaps off this block so I wouldn't be surprised. I have a good running but non roller 93 engine in the garage looking a lot better if that bolt is snapped. I can convert it to roller with jy parts. But I wouldn't swap the 94 cam in so, next question.

Speed density roller cams that work with 1.7 roller rockers, or the same with 1.6 roller rockers(set for $60 locally)? Rest of the plans include gt40p's, long tubes, and if the money is right, typhoon intake. Pretty much the standard upgrade around here it seems. Just want to wake it up, not set any records.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:10 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
If I was to toy with deleting the EGR at some point, what I would like to do is sandwich a plate between the valve and intake, plug the vac lines, and leave the electronics in place. From what I've read, I thought that would leave me with no blinding CEL. But from what you just said, it seems like that may not be the case, unless in doing what I mentioned, the signal to open never happens anymore.
There is no deleting the EGR without setting codes and that may or may not set the CE light, chances are on this vintage truck you will get a light. You can disable it functionally by blocking the valve at the intake and deleting the tube but everything must stay and be fully functional so the system goes through the motions, this technically would make the motor a little more detonation prone but it's nothing that can't be compensated for with slight timing adjustment.

Assuming I get the EGR operational again, I have no reason to remove it, for the time being. But, there are some non-smog long tubes nearby for $50 in new condition.
I welded an EGR bung on a set like that once.. worked great.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:29 PM
Willigaf
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paul, I misspoke twice. I want to leave the vac lines hooked up to the EGR and its solenoid, if I "disable" the EGR. And I wanted to do a trial run, pre upgrades to see if there were any ill effects. If I have a problem, all I'd have to do would be to remove the sandwiched plate between EGR and intake.

I may need clarification again on using EGR with the typhoon intake if I ever get there...

Everyone, just past my line of sight from the ground, and not really visible in the pic with dizzy, about a quarter inch into that hole, it sure does seem like a snapped off bolt lives there. Still haven't had a great look but I'm wondering how long the bolt is, if anyone has had one off in recent memory. The spare engine is tucked behind some other projects for the time being. Also thinking I'm glad I have a Hyundai with a 20 year warranty.