1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

transmission floor cover?

Old 04-01-2017, 09:36 PM
krustiy lusti
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission floor cover?

we are on the home stretch of a restoration on a 1950 F1. We welded in a new floor and we got a new transmission cover. It's been so long since we took the truck apart we can't remember what the correct fasteners are to hold the cover down. What fastener should we use? I'm thinking number 10 self tapping panhead screws. There was no shifter boot on the truck. So I think the proper way to install the boot is ,boot on top of the foam on the transmission. Then the floor pan and finally cutting a hole in the floor mat to fit around the shifting boot. Anyone have any advice. Dale

Old 04-01-2017, 11:25 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
As I recall the screws are #8 x 3/4". I replaced mine with hex-head screws, a lot easier to drive with a nut-driver.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:08 AM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 865 Likes on 421 Posts
I'm working on my transmission cover too. I purchased mine from classic haulers, and it came with pan head screws. My biggest hole saw blade was 4 inches, and I was hoping it could make a large enough opening. I realized that a 4 inch hole was a bit smaller than the original hole, but it still seemed bigger than the diameter needed for the shifter. In the end, 4 inches wasn't quite big enough. I have a 5 inch blade ordered. Good luck with your project. It's nice to be on the home stretch.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:19 AM
krustiy lusti
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank's for the replies. I will head up town and see what they have. I think I will go with the pinhead screws because of the lower profile. We used a fly cutter to cut the hole in the pan. I think the dimension was 4 5/8 inch. Now I need to come up with a metal ring for around the gas pedal boot. We have three trucks in the yard and not one has the old boot or metal ring.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:17 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 242 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel
I'm working on my transmission cover too. I purchased mine from classic haulers, and it came with pan head screws. My biggest hole saw blade was 4 inches, and I was hoping it could make a large enough opening. I realized that a 4 inch hole was a bit smaller than the original hole, but it still seemed bigger than the diameter needed for the shifter. In the end, 4 inches wasn't quite big enough. I have a 5 inch blade ordered. Good luck with your project. It's nice to be on the home stretch.

Not to hijack the OP's thread but if you've already cut the hole and it is too small, consider this. Scribe a line where you want the hole to extend. Drill small holes as close together as practical along this newly scribed line. Use vice grips and break the pieces of metal out along the line. Clean the rough edge of the cut out with a file.
Another way would be with a jigsaw.
I suspect you would have problems cutting a five inch hole over a four inch hole with a hole saw.
Edit: I used oversize sheet metal screws to attach the cover in my last two trucks.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:40 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch

I suspect you would have problems cutting a five inch hole over a four inch hole with a hole saw.
Edit: I used oversize sheet metal screws to attach the cover in my last two trucks.
I've had to do that in the past. Just clamp or screw a block of wood under the area, that the pilot on the hole saw can center on.

I have a couple of O/S screws in my cover too, I think the assembly line guys weren't real careful about lining up the holes before gunning the screws in.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:22 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
:. . . if you've already cut the hole and it is too small, consider this. Scribe a line where you want the hole to extend. Drill small holes as close together as practical along this newly scribed line. Use vice grips and break the pieces of metal out along the line. Clean the rough edge of the cut out with a file.
Another way would be with a jigsaw.
The other way is to use a CNC plasma cutter if you have access to one. Or a hand held plasma cutter if you hand is steady.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:11 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 242 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by petemcl
The other way is to use a CNC plasma cutter if you have access to one. Or a hand held plasma cutter if you hand is steady.
If I were doing it, I would grab my plain old firewrench. AKA cutting torch. I don't know that Jim has any of this high tech stuff available.
End note: No one will ever see that cover.