1958 F600 RCAF Military-Ordered Dump Truck - HELP Number Dummy

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 05:12 PM
unilover6163
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
1958 F600 RCAF Military-Ordered Dump Truck - HELP Number Dummy

No, this isn't an April Fools joke!

I was searching a new-to-me small scrap metal salvage yard and came across the 1958 F600 Factory Supplied RCAF Military Dump Truck.

Can anyone decipher the stack of data tags attached to the door (photo)?
Since it was special ordered for Canadian Military, and, likely spent a lot of time on a base somewhere, is it worth acquiring and trying to resurrect back to a runner? It is a Y-block V8, standard shift with 8.5X20" wheels.

Any information would be appreciated.
Many thanks in advance friends - Pete

Old 04-01-2017, 05:35 PM
unilover6163
Tuned
As a follow-up, and for clarification regarding the Data Tags on the drivers door, here is a summary:
Tag 1: "NOMENCLATURE TRUCKS DUMP 3 TON 4X2 DRIVE"
Tag 2: "LENGTH 208 IN. WIDTH 91 IN. HEIGHT 93 IN. SHIPPING WT. 7600# ENGINE MAKE FORD. MODEL OHV-V8"
Tag 3: "DATE OF MANUFACTURE APRIL-58 ORDER NO. & SERVICE CD 763028 RCAF CHASSIS OR VEHICLE CODE RCAF H9"
Tag 4: "CHASSIS SERIAL... 14983 ENGINE SERIAL....WW2770 PAINT COLOR GLOSS YELLOW 5-2 TO 1-GP-12A"
Tag 5: MAKE MODEL NO. FORD F600-130WB NOMINAL CAPACITY..... 3 TON GROSS VEHICLE RATING...18,000
Tag 6: PUBLICATIONS OPERATORS INST. SE-704-58 PAINT & REPAIR MANUAL SE-732-58 PARTS IDENT. LIST PA-761-58"

Does any of this make sense to anyone?
Maybe Number Dummy may be able to help with some of this, and, with the chassis based on the photo's?

With thanks again, Pete

Old 04-02-2017, 03:01 AM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Hey Pete I have a 57 F100 Panel Truck that was also EX RCAF

Mine also has the dog tags on the door. The tags should not be painted and should just be bare aluminium finish.
It would be good to post the VIN tag also. Then we can break down the actual truck.

Tag 1 NOMENCLATURE TRUCKS DUMP 3 TON 4X2 DRIVE

This is just stating what the vehicle is a 3 ton dump truck 2 wheel drive.

Tag 2: "LENGTH 208 IN. WIDTH 91 IN. HEIGHT 93 IN. SHIPPING WT. 7600# ENGINE MAKE FORD. MODEL OHV-V8"

Dimensional Data and weight for shipping purposes plus Vehicle manufacturer and engine type.

Tag 3: "DATE OF MANUFACTURE APRIL-58 ORDER NO. & SERVICE CD 763028 RCAF CHASSIS OR VEHICLE CODE RCAF H9"

Date of manufacture CD 763028 is the CFR (Canadian Forces Registration) number H9 just identifies it in RCAF nomenclature.

Tag 4: "CHASSIS SERIAL... 14983 ENGINE SERIAL....WW2770 PAINT COLOR GLOSS YELLOW 5-2 TO 1-GP-12A"

14983 is the sequential numbering part of the vin WW2770 is the serial number stamped on the the engine. It is rare to still find the original engine in the truck after this length of time. Gloss Yellow 5-2 Is the colour of the truck as per the Canadian General Standards Board, 1-GP-12A Colour Standards.

Canada had its own colour standards as issued by the Canadian General Standards Board. The first being 1-GP-12 then 1-GP-12A then 1-GP-12B and finally 1-GP-12C The Unique Canadian Colour standards were withdrawn in 1991 and the US Federal Standard 595 ( FS colors) were adopted in it's place.

Tempo Paint Tempo Aerospace Home
Can still mix to all the old Canadian GP colour standards as they have been a continuous supplier to the Canadian Military and Gov;t since the 1950's

Gloss Yellow 5-2 was the standard colour for all RCAF vehicles used on the Air Field's actual in Canada in the late 40's 50's,60's and most of the 70's.
This truck was used on a RCAF Air Field.

Tag 5: MAKE MODEL NO. FORD F600-130WB NOMINAL CAPACITY..... 3 TON GROSS VEHICLE RATING...18,000

Make and Model Ford F600 130" WB Nominal Capacity 3 ton ( 3 imperial/long tons @2240lbs per ton or 60cwt ) The DND switched from CWT (Hundredweight / centum weight) just after WWII to Imperial tons or long tons. A single hundredweight or centum weight is 112lbs, as more usless info there are 8st (stone ,a stone equals 14lbs) to a single cwt.
There were still many bits of equipment and aircraft that used CWT for load capacity and since there are 20cwt to a long ton it made the conversion easy. Gross Vehicle weight rating 18,000 LBS

Tag 6: PUBLICATIONS OPERATORS INST. SE-704-58 PAINT & REPAIR MANUAL SE-732-58 PARTS IDENT. LIST PA-761-58"

Ford Canada Part numbers for the Ops manual , Service Manaul and Parts Manual.

In my opinion yes it is worth saving there are almost no surviving commercial off the self ground vehicles from the RCAF in this era let alone ones with the door tags still in place. The term hens teeth comes to mind. This does add value to the vehicle as it will appeal to Canadian Military vehicle collectors also.

There may still be the original black RCAF stenciling on the exterior of the doors on
the yellow paint under the blue paint, some careful sanding with may reveal it provided it has not all rusted off...

Depending on when the truck was retired out of the RCAF there could still be information on file with the CAF, $5 and a submition of an Access to Information request to the DND indicating that you wish to receive electronic copies of all files held on the EDR and any other appropriate sources for (insert CFR and or serial number and model identification). The system is designed to respond within 30 days

Matthew

Old 04-02-2017, 07:44 AM
unilover6163
Tuned
Hello Matthew,

Wow, many thanks for your reply, details and suggestion to contact DND.

This truck looks to be totally unmolested (other than dump body removed & a paint job), and, I'm confident it has its original powertrain still in it judging by the patina and the factory elements still intact all over the vehicle. This small salvage yard has a fair amount of military and airport equipment laying around so I'm sure they have 'bid' on a lot of surplus equipment over the years.

You last paragraph does indeed pique my interest but I'm not sure how to go about this task, where to go and whom to speak with???
Maybe I'll just go to the local military base (CFB Shearwater and/or CFB Stadacona and/or CFB Windsor Park) here in Halifax and inquire.

I'll get the VIN on another trip back out to the truck after this late winter weather moves on past and things warm up a little.

Where should I look for specific VIN data and other unique markings?

Old 04-02-2017, 11:02 AM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by unilover6163
Hello Matthew,

Wow, many thanks for your reply, details and suggestion to contact DND.

This truck looks to be totally unmolested (other than dump body removed & a paint job), and, I'm confident it has its original powertrain still in it judging by the patina and the factory elements still intact all over the vehicle. This small salvage yard has a fair amount of military and airport equipment laying around so I'm sure they have 'bid' on a lot of surplus equipment over the years.

You last paragraph does indeed pique my interest but I'm not sure how to go about this task, where to go and whom to speak with???
Maybe I'll just go to the local military base (CFB Shearwater and/or CFB Stadacona and/or CFB Windsor Park) here in Halifax and inquire.

I'll get the VIN on another trip back out to the truck after this late winter weather moves on past and things warm up a little.

Where should I look for specific VIN data and other unique markings?

To get the information of the truck go here
Access to Information and Privacy (ATIP) - Request forms | National Defence | Canadian Armed Forces and follow the instructions.

You want to Fill out the Access to Information Request Form and send it to the address listed along with $5

The VIN plate should be screwed to the drivers door B pillar alternatively look in the glove box.

The Dump box likely would have been removed and been mounted to new truck. Most all the former military off the self trucks I have seen from that era 1950's are missing their box's, beds, tanks,service bodies etc.

These were the first newer style trucks bought after WWII and when they were replaced in the early 70's most of these components were fitted to new chassis's. When that lot was disposed of in the late 80's they were sold with box's, beds, tanks,service bodies etc attached. As this equipment was then end of service life and out dated by that time.

The CAF did the same thing with the Dodge M880's CUCV pick up's when they were retired.
When the Army retired the Dodge M880 pickups in the late 80's most all the service bodies, radio bodies and command bodies that they came with were removed and installed on then new LSVW's. The LSVW's are just now being surplussed off with all the service bodies etc attached that were originally fitted to the M880's.

To find complete off the self support trucks from that era (1950's) that still have their box's, beds, tanks,service bodies etc is akin to winning the lottery.

As for markings RCAF the CFR number would have been painted on both doors and possibly the RCAF Insignia or that wing's (base) badge above that.

On Red (Fire trucks) or grey painted vehicles it would have been stenciled in white on Yellow vehicles stenciled in Black with the Insignia or base badge in colour.

I have attached some pics of RCAF trucks with their markings to give you an idea

Matthew

Old 04-03-2017, 11:35 AM
unilover6163
Tuned
Thanks again Matthew,

In 1985 I followed a trio of 1976 Dodge M880 (I believe) Military Ambulances that were in our local Crown Assets holding compound while they awaited the quarterly auction date to arrive.
They were identical to one another except for wear & tear and mileage.
The ambulance pictured below was the lowest mileage unit and remained in nearly new condition perfectly preserved and had just over 3,000 miles on it.
On auction day I was ready to make my bid but when I arrived at Crown Assets Compound I saw a note on the rig stating it was pulled from the auction and reassigned to another post. I later found out it was "donated" to our 'Regional Fire & Rescue Service' as a Site Command & Control Communication Vehicle.
It was a 1976 D200 4X4 318-2V c.i., 4-speed, Dana 60/70 differentials, dual batteries, roof lights, in-dash gauges, etc... I was smitten by that rig!

That same year, after the auction, I was lucky to purchase a 1980 Dodge 3/4 ton pickup from a guy who purchased it from the Alberta Department of Highways (ADOH) surplus auction and that truck was solely used by him to transport his stuff from Alberta to Nova Scotia then he put it for sale hen I saw & immediately bought it.
This truck was unique in that it was special ordered by ADOH: 1980 3/4 ton, 360-4V c.i., auto, H.D. trans cooler, Dana 70 (no Dana 60 as confirmed by VIN when I had to replace a pinion seal & bearing), 16.5" wheels, rear sway bar & rear stacked Helper Spring Set all factory-equipped. It rode like a tank but was very cool and I once hauled two full pallets of chimney bricks in it that only leveled it out!