Sponsored by:

Befuddled in recharging the AC

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 09:29 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Befuddled in recharging the AC

Now that there is some semblance of sunshine, I discovered the AC was not blowing cold air. I bought a can of Artic Freeze and took the Betty Crocker approach. As the compressor cycles on, the pressure guage goes to 35 psi. As soon as it hits 35, it cycles off dropping out of the green zone to about 18 psi and then it cycles on and back to 35 over and over..that was after 18 oz. The air is somewhat cool but not near where it should be. I assume there is a range of pressure that this normaly cycles through. Anyone know what the low end and high end pressures are supposed to be(measured on the low port side)?

Old 03-29-2017, 10:14 PM
hunteraharper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure what the range is but you were all the way out of freon, must have a leak somewhere. You should keep adding until compressor stops cycling and stays on.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:18 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
Your pressure readings appear to be backwards. The pressure at the low pressure port should DROP when the clutch is engaged and should RISE when it disengages. Under "normal" cycling conditions, the switch should close around 43-45 psi ascending then open around 22-24 psi descending. I would never assume those cheap meters on the cans are actually accurate.

In any event, you do have a leak. Fix the leak, evacuate, then charge to proper weight of refrigerant into the system.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:13 AM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Your pressure readings appear to be backwards. The pressure at the low pressure port should DROP when the clutch is engaged and should RISE when it disengages. Under "normal" cycling conditions, the switch should close around 43-45 psi ascending then open around 22-24 psi descending. I would never assume those cheap meters on the cans are actually accurate.

In any event, you do have a leak. Fix the leak, evacuate, then charge to proper weight of refrigerant into the system.
i probably have the cycling on and off pressure readings reversed. I was just watching the guage. Something tells me this is not going to be fun.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:32 AM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
OK-so before I buy everything I need, please tell me what I need. Manifold, vacuum pump how much refrigerant, oil (vacuum pump and system?)dye-does this have to be removed with vacuum or does it stay in, leak sealer---no clue where leak is as I havent looked. Since I live in the wilderness I have to consider every possibility of need, no matter how absurd. Oh and BTW---how do you do this?

Old 03-30-2017, 08:28 AM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Look on YouTube for how to make a vacuum pump out of an old refrigerator pump. I need to make a new one because the one I used to use at the body shop was great for evacuating AC systems. A nice set of manifold gauges and the pump were able to troubleshoot/repair most systems. Aside from recovering freon that is...

Old 03-30-2017, 11:14 AM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by 05MilMachine
Look on YouTube for how to make a vacuum pump out of an old refrigerator pump.
That's okay if you have reasonable access to the parts. But for $90 I'd rather buy one and save myself the aggravation of running around looking for parts and connectors.

Electric Vacuum Pump - 2.5 CFM

Old 03-30-2017, 11:53 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Rockauto ( or any parts store ) will have a A/C o ring seal kit.

Uview is a good UV leak detector for AC - cooling- oil systems
UV Dye Injection Systems | UView

Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2017, 04:19 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
That can stuff has additives that are not good for your AC system from what my mechanic told me. I'd get it charged professionally.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:03 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The stuff in the end cap isles at the parts stores with built in can gauges does have some undesirable stuff. Stop leaks, colorants, seal conditioners, incompatible oils etc..You can overfill your system with oils and other liquids that can cause issues. I like to use the cheapest cans you can find at TSC. It is usually just straight r134.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:24 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Is there some type of magnetic component in the compressor. My compressor-when it cycles off, the clutch keeps moving ever so slightly--kinda like cheap spinner wheel covers. Is this correct operation?

What do you do to dispose of the refrigerant once you get it out of the system?

Seals look very simple...so what is it when I go to change one seal--what a 20 min max job-that will turn it into a 2 hr nightmare? I know there's gotta be something?

Old 03-30-2017, 10:39 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Rockauto ( or any parts store ) will have a A/C o ring seal kit.

Uview is a good UV leak detector for AC - cooling- oil systems
UV Dye Injection Systems | UView

Pirate-do you know anything about this stuff?? Was in catalog with uView

LeakGuard OneShot | LeakGuard? A/C Sealer | UView

Old 03-30-2017, 11:02 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Watcher58
Pirate-do you know anything about this stuff?? Was in catalog with uView

LeakGuard OneShot | LeakGuard? A/C Sealer | UView
Id try it on somebody else's vehicle .

Seriously though, Just get a o ring kit and that will likely fix your leak.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:04 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
Did the AC work at all but just weak? If so, I would dump a couple cans of plain freon in until the compressor stops cycling and it blows cold. Then wait and see how long it will hold it. Could be all season. Could be a day. If it's a day, then you need plan B and fix the leak. If it's all season, well that would be good enough for me. YMMV

I don't think changing the O rings is going to be quick or easy.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:20 AM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
Did the AC work at all but just weak? If so, I would dump a couple cans of plain freon in until the compressor stops cycling and it blows cold. Then wait and see how long it will hold it. Could be all season. Could be a day. If it's a day, then you need plan B and fix the leak. If it's all season, well that would be good enough for me. YMMV

I don't think changing the O rings is going to be quick or easy.
I did add part of another can of arctic freeze so maybe 1 1/3 cans about 20 oz. It blows cold but the compressor still cycles. I'm not adding anymore until my manifold guages get here. I checked the pressure using the guage on each of the 2 cans. They only varied 10 psi 35 highest and 45 highest--go figure.
My plan is basically same as yours. Once I know how long it holds then I'll go from there but I'm definitely not inclined to use any more shot cans with the Cracker Jack prize guages

Quick Reply: Befuddled in recharging the AC