1950 F5 COE Build - Page 7 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1950 F5 COE Build

Old 06-10-2017, 09:44 PM
Junior User

50COE is starting off with a positive reputation.
stand back and take it all in...

still a ways to go but you can really start to see it...

only a couple weeks of heavy fabrication left...
Old 06-10-2017, 11:00 PM
Elder User

pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.pweng1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Looks great Brian. You really kept the project moving forward.What hurdles do you think are ahead of you.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:29 AM
Senior User

ingo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50COE View Post
I purchased a set of stock reproduction steel running boards for an F1 standard pickup.

I initially pulled them out of the box and compared the radius to what I have on the COE...

Because it's a COE, the "cab" is shorter than a standard F1. Almost a foot shorter.

According to at least one other FTE member, I am installing the running boards backwards... but the radius matches my front fender perfectly. and the other end was close enough to require only a minor radius adjustment to match the rear fender.

We made the adjustment to the rear radius; then temporarily held both the front and rear fenders where we believe they should be and then measured the distance. We cut approx. 10 1/2" out of the center of the running boards and re-welded the seam -- after cleaning it up, you can barely tell that we cut them.

We kept the running boards parallel to the frame.

after getting them mounted to the support brackets and bolted to the fenders, we marked them up and cut the rear flange off -- that flange will be used later... we are now working on adding a flat extension so that the flange can be placed where we want it to allow the bed to basically tie into the running board in a way that looks good.

Front and rear radius is near perfect and we cut the running board / you can see the initial seam near the middle. The support strips are temporary / holding it all flat / in place.

most of the seam has been cleaned up. We are just about to cut the rear flange off / extend it back about 4"...

driver's side; Radius front and back is dialed in; length is cut and seamed; seam is cleaned up and permanent support metal has been welded to the under side (similar to the stock running boards) Rear flange cut and we are fabbing up the flat steel / prepping to re-install the rear flange that has been cut off.

...great job on the Runningborads! Where did you order them and how much $ are they?
Old 06-11-2017, 07:50 AM
Still Learnin'

petemcl is a splendid one to beholdpetemcl is a splendid one to beholdpetemcl is a splendid one to beholdpetemcl is a splendid one to beholdpetemcl is a splendid one to beholdpetemcl is a splendid one to beholdpetemcl is a splendid one to behold
Nice work on the running boards.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:45 AM
Junior User

Running boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingo View Post
...great job on the Runningborads! Where did you order them and how much $ are they?
I bought them from Midwest Early Ford. (937) 325-2408

They have a lot of great parts for all of the older Ford trucks

I believe I paid about $550

Note: these were made to be a perfect fit for 48-50 F1
Old 06-11-2017, 09:09 AM
Junior User

Hurdles ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweng1 View Post
Looks great Brian. You really kept the project moving forward.What hurdles do you think are ahead of you.

It would be easy to get overwhelmed by the long list of things that needs to be done on a project like this…

I try to back up and look at the big picture periodically... I make a list of all the high-level items and then break that up into many smaller projects. Focus on those one at a time.

I'm very fortunate to have found help on the areas that I feel I am not qualified... like metal fabrication.

Next hurdles:

Finish up the running boards / tie into the bed skirt

Finish up frame related mods:
* Watts link for the rear diff
* fuel cell / tank and filler tube
* relocate the air ride components
* redo the rear shock mounts

Get the front clip completed

* the entire lower section will become one piece
* modify the inner fender to allow the removal of the front clip as one piece -- the Crown Vic suspension towers interfere currently so a small modifications need to be made
* get the air conditioning routing figured out
* clean up all of the holes etc. in the firewall

At that point, I should be able to tear down everything and begin cleaning the frame and all chassis components / epoxy painting / rebuilding the chassis including installing all brake lines fuel lines etc.

I haven't even begun to think what to do with the interior

Ugh. The list is long
Old 06-12-2017, 08:52 AM
Senior User

'77 Ranch Beater is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.'77 Ranch Beater is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It's a long list for sure however, with the amount of progress you've already made, I'd say you'll have a healthy chunk of it knocked out very quickly. The work you've already completed is fantastic, I'm positive the remainder will be just as good.

Well done on the running boards, they look great as many have already said.

t
Old 06-19-2017, 09:19 AM
Junior User

Running boards... work... and rework

still working on the running boards... trying to get this area looking just right.

we have the base part of the running boards looking great; now have the cab skirt on the driver's side on and the transition looking great... the first mach up of the bed is getting reworked.

we first duplicated the transition that we have at the rear of the fender... but I'm not happy with the look of it.

I don't like the way the bed post fades away into the lower bed side...

We are removing the lower bed skirt that we tacked in... I need the 4" extension of the running board to match the extended fender... we are going to use the original roll from the running board that we cut off... and then bring it up at the same plane as the bed... and going to extend the bed post down to a place and miter it back into the bedside... hopefully will have pics later this week.

these things take time...

you mach something up... look at it... tear it apart and do it again...
Old 06-19-2017, 09:24 AM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50COE View Post
still working on the running boards... trying to get this area looking just right.

you mach something up... look at it... tear it apart and do it again...

What you see in these pics looks too "square" for a truck with awesome curves everywhere else...

also a bit surprising how the sweat from our hands is making the running boards show almost immediate signs of rust. will have to clean these up when we get them done.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:28 AM
Junior User

Passenger side running boards

The plan is to make a battery box behind the skirt... Even though my skirt and original battery box / step are practically spotless, I think the original battery box/step on this side looks "utilitarian" and everything else I'm doing is a little more refined.

we are going to try to duplicate the step from the driver's side... and just make a the lower skirt solid with a door for the battery that will sit completely behind it...

will show pics as we make progress...

Old 06-19-2017, 09:31 AM
Junior User

getting a nose job...

also making some progress on the lower skirt area on the front...

the frame stem holes closed off... the entire lower skirt will become one piece over the next few days...

just getting things tacked in place... need to modify the inner fenders to allow the complete removal of the front clip in one piece... the Crown Vic suspension towers interfere a bit.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:37 AM
New User

R.A.D is starting off with a positive reputation.
I like the progress
Old 06-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Senior User

'77 Ranch Beater is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.'77 Ranch Beater is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The nose job is coming along great, I think it will look very clean. Thanks for the update!

t
Old 06-22-2017, 10:07 PM
Junior User

still on a quest to get the running boards spot on...

flipped over to the passenger side...

Using a curve transition from the running board to the bedside is a much better look. You get to see the full extent of the widened fender as well.

Decided to extend the post all the way down

I can't believe I'm doing this but the stock battery / step is not going to be used... we are putting the battery box completely behind the skirt and making a removable door... and will duplicate the fender step that is on the driver's side.

This isn't something that happens overnight... that's for sure

This is only basically tacked in place...

the top seam in the bedside will stay because that is on the same plane as the fender and cab lines... that flow from front to back.

the lower seam will be welded / disappear.

we need to make a flange joint where the flat running board meets the curved bedside... lots of details to finish but you can get an good idea of where we are going with it...
Old 06-22-2017, 10:32 PM
Post Fiend

abe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant future
I also like the curved extension better.