1950 F5 COE Build - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1950 F5 COE Build

Old 04-17-2017, 09:39 AM
Posting Guru

Mixer man has a great reputation on FTE.Mixer man has a great reputation on FTE.Mixer man has a great reputation on FTE.Mixer man has a great reputation on FTE.Mixer man has a great reputation on FTE.Mixer man has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50COE View Post
Bob,

let me know if you found that Stillwell's had any NOS one's left...
Sorry, I kinda dropped the ball on this. Had other pressing stuff. Yeah, Stillwell's is out for now. I really need the top and lower grille bars too. You have a nice grille assembly though.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:58 PM
Senior User

50COE is starting off with a positive reputation.
Grilling to perfection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer man View Post
Sorry, I kinda dropped the ball on this. Had other pressing stuff. Yeah, Stillwell's is out for now. I really need the top and lower grille bars too. You have a nice grille assembly though.

I have a great top bar, but that one (with the turn signals incorporated) didn't come with the NOS grill that I purchased -- so I'll need that one.

Best of luck finding everything you need!
Old 04-20-2017, 10:04 PM
Senior User

Gauges and wiring harness

I've done quite a bit of research and made some decisions on wiring harness and all my gauges

Since I'm using the 4.6L from a 2007 Crown Vic and the matching automatic transmission, I have decided to go with the Ron Francis wiring harness made especially for my engine combination. They will also send me the updated programming to eliminate everything that I will not be using like the second set of O2 sensors, the variable speed fuel pump etc..

Ford 4.6 Telorvek Wiring Kit 07-11 Crown Vic-Ron Francis Wiring

I've also decided to go with the Speedhut gauges ... these gauges are fantastic fully customizable. and have a lifetime warranty

Hopefully I'll get the gauges set this weekend...
Old 04-20-2017, 10:16 PM
Senior User

Running boards

I've done quite a bit of measuring and I decided to buy a set of real steel 48-50 running boards from the early ford store near Springfield, OH

Though quite expensive, These will require significant modifications/customization

They will need to be shortened; and the back flange will quite possibly require complete customization

To my pleasant surprise, the left and right ends look like the will match my COE fenders as well -- this is a huge bonus

1st Mock up pics:

You can see the profile looks great... even though I have much custom work ahead, these look like they will be perfect...

I'll continue to send updates when we get there... but first: Rear wheels arrive 5/12. Then widen the rear fenders about 3 1/2"... then, finally, finish the running boards... one small step for man... one giant leap for mankind!
Old 04-20-2017, 10:41 PM
Posting Guru

Gicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to behold
Thats cool that they fit like that. Don't know if you are aware, but you actually have that on backwards. The side with you have towards the front fender is actually for the rear fender. Its neat that they have the same contour though!
Old 04-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Senior User

Running boards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gicknordon View Post
Thats cool that they fit like that. Don't know if you are aware, but you actually have that on backwards. The side with you have towards the front fender is actually for the rear fender. Its neat that they have the same contour though!

... Hmm looks like I could use the back portions of both to make one... maybe need another pair to make a set. Either way you look at it, they will require significant modifications. They are about 10" too long to begin with... plus the rear flange will require almost complete customization.

thanks for the note... I'm sure when I get the rear fenders modified, there will be even more adjustments needed.

Anyone have an old COE frame with the running board supports? I'd like to find at least 2 more of the factory running board support brackets if I can.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:56 PM
Senior User

Dash & Steering

The original 1950 dash cluster is in very good condition and I'll be selling it with only 6,523 miles... I believe all the gauges worked in my short process of getting the original 6 cyl. running.

The cluster was an odd shape with a 1/2 round on the left and square end on the right... We welded a steel insert in the original opening and I purchased new gauges from Speedhut.

I originally started with a 32" aftermarket steering column... but after getting my offset steering box positioned the way I needed it, my column came up out of the floor about 2" higher than I expected. I felt the column was too tall, so I purchased a 30" steering column and that seems to be about perfect for what I'm looking for.

See Pics of the new steering column:

This column is a tilt, with column shift, 4 speed auto markings, turn signal and emergency flasher switch and no key on the column. GM style plug was about the only option I could find anywhere.

I found a 2 1/2" drop - billet steering column holder for my 2" diameter column tube for about $27 on eBay... and it bolted directly in and works perfectly.

I set the column in place to measure directly where the center of the column is positioned on the dash so that I could mark my centerline on the dash for my 4 1/4" GPS speedometer with tach built in. This center gauge also has high beam indicator and both turn signal indicators built right in... the SpeedHut gauges are the way to go...
Old 05-01-2017, 11:06 PM
Senior User

Dash & Steering continued

center line marks in place -- I don't have a set of punch dies like the electricians use for knock outs... if I did this a lot, I would buy them. Instead I used drill mounted hole saws.

Recommendation: buy the carbide tipped hole saws, they cut the metal 10x easier and cleaner than any other type of hole saw.

Recommendation #2: if you need a 4 1/4" hole, use a 4 1/8" hole saw.
If you need a 2 1/6" hole, use a 2" hole saw.

I used a 4 1/4" hole saw for my largest center gauge and theres just a bit more slop in the hole than I prefer. I jumped down to a 2" holesaw for my 4 smaller gauges that called for a 2 1/16" and they are near perfect.

marked the center line for the primary speedometer / guage

center gauge in place, marked the 4 smaller guages

I recommend using one size smaller hole saw than you desire... hand drilling creates slop no matter how good you are with the tooling.

all gauges in place. These are going to look fantastic when finished.

I put the column back in just to see what my vision would be like looking through the steering wheel:

Old 05-04-2017, 12:51 AM
Senior User

Wheels and Tires

I received the new wheels and tires and finally have them mounted and on the truck...

The only company that carried 13" and 14" wide wheels for the rears with a 3 1/2" offset was Weld Racing. I was first looking at the TT63 wheels but they were about $700 a wheel and I just can't justify spending that much when there is another option for less than half that. The TT63s were my favorite look though...

I decided to go with the Weld Draglite wheels. Even though my second favorite design, at more than $1,000 less, it was a no brainer for me at this point. I can always upgrade later in life if I want.

These are the first "Shank" lug nut seat style that I've ever owned and I'm practically embarrassed to say that I though I needed to replace all my studs because they appeared to be WAY too short when I first put one of the wheels on the existing studs. Fortunately, that's not the case. The "extended" length shank lug nuts and washers that I bought worked perfectly.

I also have the covers coming for the additional 5 lug holes -- these rims are made for either 5x4 1/2" which is what I need and 5x4 3/4" which I will put blanks in to cover.

This is a 15" wide tire on a 13" wide rim. I chose a 3 1/2" offset which leaves me just slightly under 1" of space between the tire and the bed side.

You can see that the front and rear tires have almost identical outside edges. If my math is correct, they should be within approx. 1/2" of each other.

You'll also notice that the rear tires are practically twice as wide as the front. The front tires have 8" wide tread, the rear has just over 13" wide tread / 15" wide cross section. The rears are Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R 29"x15"x15LTs

I am thankful to say that even though both the front wheels that came of the Crown Vic AND the rear wheels that originally came of a ford explorer were both 16" wheels, these 15" Weld Rims with only 3 1/2" offsets seem to have no clearance issues.

I think the proportions look great so far.

Lots of work still to do...
Old 05-05-2017, 12:33 PM
Senior User

'77 Ranch Beater is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.'77 Ranch Beater is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wow... I wander out of the Dent Side sub-forum one time and... Wow.. This build is incredibly cool, well done and I very much look forward to seeing this COE progress.

I have to give you props on the column/gauge setup as well, VERY nice setup.

t
Old 05-05-2017, 01:27 PM
Post Fiend

abe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by '77 Ranch Beater View Post
Wow... I wander out of the Dent Side sub-forum one time and... Wow.. This build is incredibly cool, well done and I very much look forward to seeing this COE progress.

I have to give you props on the column/gauge setup as well, VERY nice setup. t
You should visit us more often!
Old 05-09-2017, 07:32 PM
Senior User

Running board brackets

A big thank you goes out to Eric -- eb4strom for sending me running board brackets off of his 51 F5 that he will not be using.

These are very similar to the ones that I have on mine and I will use these for my full length running boards that I am fabbing up.

arrived today:

Old 05-10-2017, 09:53 AM
Senior User

'77 Ranch Beater is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.'77 Ranch Beater is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've barely scratched the surface on my dentside and now you've got me wanting a COE. Glad to see you got your brackets, time for more pics!

t
Old 05-11-2017, 02:39 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by '77 Ranch Beater View Post
I've barely scratched the surface on my dentside and now you've got me wanting a COE. Glad to see you got your brackets, time for more pics!

t

Projects like this usually take much longer than you think and usually cost quite a bit more than you thought.

I'm sure neither of these things are news to anyone who made it this far down the thread with me.

btw, thanks to everyone for the comments.

If you think I'm headed down a rabbit hole or you see me trying something that you found to be a bad idea, don't hesitate to throw it out there. I'm happy to hear about what worked and what didn't for others.

I'm headed into a solid spell of bodywork fabrication which is something I am not doing alone and I'm not sure what that will be looking like from a calendar perspective.

My plan is still to drive it before winter this year...

I'll keep the pictures coming.

thanks again.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:13 PM
Senior User

Rear Fenders

Now that I have the wheels and tires all squared away, we can now get the rear fender fabrication completed.

It looks like I'll need between almost exactly 4" added to the rear fender width. This will bring the rear fender in line with the front fender width and accommodate the proper spacing for the 15" wide Mickey Thompsons.

You can see the very sophisticated method of holding the fender in place

Even though the bottom of the fender is about the same as the front, I think I'm going to raise the rear fender slightly... it seems like its an inch or so too low. I need to keep them close to level because I want to keep my running boards level with the truck as well.

The current plan is to cut the fender about 1/2" from the inside lip... and add the 4" there. My wheelbase -- even with an 8' bed is a couple inches farther back than where the standard F2 fender would have been placed -- I will need to fix the front skirt which needed to be lowered anyway.