1950 F5 COE Build - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1950 F5 COE Build

Old 04-02-2017, 09:55 PM
Welder User

tinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputationtinman52 has a superb reputation
In regards to COE's on the HAMB.......ALL COE builds were removed from the main board a while back. However, there is a great "social group" there for just for us....a good bunch of guys with some cool trucks! If anyone wants a link I'll post it.
Sorry for the Hijack...
Old 04-05-2017, 02:02 PM
Senior User

50COE is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman52 View Post
In regards to COE's on the HAMB.......ALL COE builds were removed from the main board a while back. However, there is a great "social group" there for just for us....a good bunch of guys with some cool trucks! If anyone wants a link I'll post it.
Sorry for the Hijack...

Sure, please do post it. It's always good to see what others have done and are doing. A lot of my ideas come from seeing what others have done.

thanks!
Old 04-05-2017, 03:28 PM
Senior User

Front lower skirt and Fulton Sunvisor

I want the front three lower fender / skirt pieces to become one solid piece.

I'm also removing the frame slots and fabbing in a license plate holder...

Progress Pics:

cut the lower center skirt section to accommodate the license plate holder.

License plate holder just about finished.

first time we had the front clip installed back on the cab... still working on the lower section.

more progress on the lower skirt section

found an original 40's Fulton Sunvisor ... it will require some minor modification but it looks killer.

The visor will give it a bit of attitude.

Even though my grill is in really good condition, i was missing the lowest grill fin. The firehouse had installed a pump that must have been connected somehow to the drive pully on the in-line 6 and had removed the lower gill fin.

I found a NOS 48-50 Grill -- note that the COE grill looks just like the F-1 thru F-5 standard truck grills but the COE grill is about 6" wider. I believe the F-7 and F-8's had the same wide grills.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:32 PM
Posting Guru

Mixer man is a name known to allMixer man is a name known to allMixer man is a name known to allMixer man is a name known to allMixer man is a name known to allMixer man is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50COE View Post
I found a NOS 48-50 Grill --
WOW! I've been looking for one. May I ask where you found it?
Old 04-05-2017, 09:57 PM
Senior User

NOS 48-50 Grill

I bought it from:

Stilwells Obsolete Car Parts
Address: 1617 Wedeking Ave, Evansville, IN 47711
Phone: (812) 425-4794

it's been about a year ago now and at the time he had at least one or two more.

I think I paid around $325 ...

If you can't find one, the one I'm not using is actually in remarkable condition, but missing the bottom gill bar... if anyone is interested, I can post a few pics.

thanks
Old 04-05-2017, 10:26 PM
Senior User

COE Parts

I keep forgetting to mention the folloiwng:

There were a couple things that I consider to be the rules that I wanted to try my best to keep when I started the build:

* Buy the cleanest cab I could find - I knew it would save me
money in the long run.
* I want to build a "driver" that is as nice as I can manage to build
I know this will not be a SEMA or Hot Rod Show Build.
* Modern drive line / brakes / power steering
* Purely Ford.
* All Steel (I do not want to use fiberglass, plastic or other)
* I'm only planning to build one ... so I'm going to do my best to
build it the way I want it from the start.

Also, wanted to mention that Chuck at Chuck's Truck's in Connecitcut has been extremely helpful in finding and sourcing replacement parts. He personally owns multiple COEs and specializes in the older Ford Trucks. I believe he can get parts for Ford Trucks of any year... but it seems like he has a special place in his heart for 48-56 trucks. He is a wealth of information and if he doesn't have something, he knows where to get it.

Chuck's Trucks
Truck accessories store in Hamden, Connecticut
Address: 15 Corporate Ridge Rd #5, Hamden, CT 06514
Phone: (203) 288-2769

with just one call, I found all my window rubbers, door weather stripping, window guides, door seals, hood rubber bumpers, EVEN a new pair of COE Hood springs -- NOBODY ELSE has these.

Also, If you're going to keep your original drive line, he can have your original wheel centers welded into new/modern rims to eliminate the dangerous split rim problem and you can keep your super rare 5x8" lug pattern

You'll save yourself a ton of time and energy by giving him a call when you need anything.

--Brian
Old 04-06-2017, 02:12 PM
Posting Guru

Mixer man is a name known to allMixer man is a name known to allMixer man is a name known to allMixer man is a name known to allMixer man is a name known to allMixer man is a name known to all
Quote:
I bought it from:

Stilwells Obsolete Car Parts
Address: 1617 Wedeking Ave, Evansville, IN 47711
Phone: (812) 425-4794

it's been about a year ago now and at the time he had at least one or two more.

I think I paid around $325 ...

If you can't find one, the one I'm not using is actually in remarkable condition, but missing the bottom gill bar... if anyone is interested, I can post a few pics.

thanks
Didn't think to check with Chuck on the grille. A pic of your grille would be great. Thanks.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:07 PM
Senior User

50 COE grill -- available

Bob,

let me know if you found that Stillwell's had any NOS one's left...

Here are a few pics of the one I'm not using:

the only rust is surface rust. the hole drilled on the driver's side was for a throttle cable (it was a fire truck and had a pump hanging off the nose) Note the only real defect is that the bottom grill bar that's missing.

light surface rust on the back side only.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:27 PM
Senior User

50 COE grille -- available

Quote:
Bob,

Here are a few pics of the one I'm not using:

I was thinking of glass beading this and putting on a coat of epoxy primer but a lot of people would want to powder coat the grill and I wanted everyone to see it in it's "as found" condition. I could glass bead it and prime it if that was a preference for a little extra.

I'm thinking $100 plus whatever shipping from VA.

thanks,
Brian
Old 04-11-2017, 04:43 AM
Still Learnin'

petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
If you are going to paint the rest of your truck, and it looks like you are, then I would recommend cleaning all the rust off (glass beads, walnut shells, etc.) then prime and paint it. The grill takes a beating as it is out there in front of the rest of the body. Good primer and paint will protect it from further deterioration.

I'm having the same decision to make with my heater components that live out under the RF fenderwell. They take a beating and powdercoating is chip resistant but not chip proof. There are other materials that may be better.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:04 PM
Senior User

Wheels & Tires... what a painstaking process in making a decision

Well... I feel like I've been kicking thoughts about wheels and tires around for a few months now and I've finally pulled the trigger and placed the orders.

You can see the general stance that I'm going for in my profile pic... I really wanted a wide tire for the rear and something that compliments it for the front.

My first dilemma is that there are very few wide tire options 12" or wider. Since the scale of the COE is huge and it had duallies, I initially was thinking of using something similar to a "super single"... but I'm using a crown vic front suspension and ford explorer 4.10 limited slip rear... they are 5x4.5"

the standard F-2 bed components that I have makes the bed basically 49 1/2" wide plus standard F-1 fenders that are each about 11" wide makes my complete bed without modifications just under 72" wide. That's about 9" more narrow than the COE cab / front fenders.

So, we are going to widen the rear fenders to make the total bed width almost the width of the front of the truck AND will accommodate a 15" wide tire.

That brings me to the point that there are only a very few options for street tires (preferably radials) that are 15" wide. I settled on the decision to go with Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R 29"x15"x15" they only make the 15" wide tire for a 15" and 20" rim. The 20" rims make the tires look like low profile tires -- not a look I'm interested in. The 15" rims I think will look a little small.. but what other choices do I have?

Here's another small dilemma. 2007 Crown Vics and '97 Explorers came with 16" rims... so I have to be very conscious of the caliper clearances. I feel confident that my aftermarket 15" rims will clear because of two reasons: I only have a 3 1/2" offset and the Weld rims appear to have a bit more clearance than the OEM rims that came with original vehicles.

Because I chose the Explorer rear diff, the dimension from my WMS (wheel mounting surface) to my bed sides is 5 1/4" If I put a 15" wide tire on a 13" wide rim, and want to keep as close to 1" clearance as possible, my wheel offset needs to be 2 3/4"

5 1/4" total space between WMS and bed sides
- 1" recommended tire clearance
--------------
4 1/4" WMS to the inside edge of the tire.

Since I'm putting a 15" wide tire on a 13" rim, I'll have 1" of rubber sticking over the edge of my wheel.

4 1/4"
- 1" rubber sticking over the edge of my wheel
--------------
3 1/4" wheel offset

I ordered Weld Draglite rims 15"x13" with 5x4.5" lug pattern

that will give me a 3/4" clearance in the inside.

rear tires:

We'll have to widen the fenders by about 4"...

lots of work yet to do...
Old 04-11-2017, 03:33 PM
Senior User

ingo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ingo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hey Brian,

very nice build.

This is what i put under my COE.
31X12.50-15 Hoosier.
I thought about the 16.50s but i think the 12.50s is the better ride and on the 12 inch wide wheels they look pretty wide also...

Old 04-12-2017, 10:26 PM
Senior User

That '47 style cab is awesome. You have a great looking build as well.

I looked for one like that first and then I sat in one and realized I'm too big and those cabs are more rare than hen's teeth! Your tire selection looks great and proportional on your build.

Even dropping the air ride to the point where my front fenders are 3" off the ground, the top of the cab is still taller than I am... (6'3"). The '50 COE style is huge. I'm hoping the 15" wide on the back will look good... the wide Weld wheels appear to be made after ordered because my rear wheels aren't scheduled to ship until May 10...

Anxiously waiting now...

I also see I made a typo in my previous post... I said my offset needed to be 2 3/4"... but that was incorrect... ideally it should be 3 1/4". I ordered the 3 1/2" which will give me just under 1" clearance inside...

Thanks for the feedback
Old 04-13-2017, 01:33 AM
Senior User

ingo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ingo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
When i started looking for a Cabover i first wanted a 52 or maybe a 56 like my other Truck ist. But then we found the 47 and i fell in love .
Yes you are right for a tall guy like you the 47s are too little, for me its OK, im just 5' 10".

I was looking for the taller tire, wanted at least 31" i like the big & little look.
This week we should get the bed ready, than i will take some more pics outside.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:41 AM
Still Learnin'

petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingo View Post
When i started looking for a Cabover i first wanted a 52 or maybe a 56 like my other Truck ist. But then we found the 47 and i fell in love .
Yes you are right for a tall guy like you the 47s are too little, for me its OK, im just 5' 10".

I was looking for the taller tire, wanted at least 31" i like the big & little look.
This week we should get the bed ready, than i will take some more pics outside.
Wow! That is going to be nice. I see a few pictures of them on the internet. But like Brian I would need a bigger cab. Really nice work from both of you. Thanks for sharing.