1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Automotive wire sourc

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 11:25 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Automotive wire sourc

Looking to repair dash harness and would like to know if member's have come across a source where one can purchase individual strands with same wire color codes found in the passenger, and/or, truck harnesses?

Old 03-28-2017, 02:47 PM
Crop Duster
Logistics Pro

Received 521 Likes on 414 Posts
Don't know if this will help. I've never bought from these folks. It came up on a Bing search when I was looking for some connectors and I just happened to book mark it.Wire

Old 03-28-2017, 02:52 PM
Crop Duster
Logistics Pro

Sorry that link is a little fuzzy, it just happened to be the page I was on at the time. Try this. Rhode Island Wiring Service Inc.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:33 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
CD; Outstanding source, greatly appreciate the link. Intend compiling list of replacement wires needed to repair the dash harness, will contact them ASAP and place the order.

Again, I thank you!! Dave

Old 04-17-2017, 08:41 AM
Crop Duster
Logistics Pro

Wire

Originally Posted by daveengelson
CD; Outstanding source, greatly appreciate the link. Intend compiling list of replacement wires needed to repair the dash harness, will contact them ASAP and place the order.

Again, I thank you!! Dave
Dave, Did you get any wire from those folks in Rhode Island? I'm thinking of building a new harness for the ALT & OIL gauges. The best one I have is a little ragged on the engine compartment side. I figured if I was going to put the effort into making a new one I should at least make it like the original one. That is if their wire is correct.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:24 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Crop Duster
Dave, Did you get any wire from those folks in Rhode Island? I'm thinking of building a new harness for the ALT & OIL gauges. The best one I have is a little ragged on the engine compartment side. I figured if I was going to put the effort into making a new one I should at least make it like the original one. That is if their wire is correct.
I did, if U care to hold off a few day; when the package arrives I can give my impression, w/ couple pic's if you like.

Unable to locate wire gauge, the sales person did not know the appropriate size wire for my application so decided to order a variety of colored #12 gauge wire? Also ordered several connectors; bullets, spades, and 'ring tongue', hard to determine from pic's but suspect have to be an improvement over the cheap connectors I have now??

Old 04-17-2017, 11:39 AM
Crop Duster
Logistics Pro

Wire

Originally Posted by daveengelson
I did, if U care to hold off a few day; when the package arrives I can give my impression, w/ couple pic's if you like.

Unable to locate wire gauge, the sales person did not know the appropriate size wire for my application so decided to order a variety of colored #12 gauge wire? Also ordered several connectors; bullets, spades, and 'ring tongue', hard to determine from pic's but suspect have to be an improvement over the cheap connectors I have now??
Thanks, I will wait to see what you think of their stuff before I order any.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:46 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Crop Duster, I greatly appreciate the Rhode Island automotive wire source link: Per follow-up, received package today; very pleased. I found the wire color codes are close, if not exact match to the original wires. My 'bull in china shop' mentality went with 12 gauge wire when 14 gauge would have been sufficient. No question I will purchase if in need of auto wire in the future, and would recommend!! Also purchased several types of connectors, very good quality, likely able to find in a local automotive quality supply shop.

Again, I thank you!!

Old 04-25-2017, 05:22 AM
Crop Duster
Logistics Pro

Thanks Dave! I Will give them a call today. I know what you mean about wire sizes, even if you strip an old one and try to measure it they seem to be larger than what they really are. Besides bigger is better and at 50ft. and a hundered mile an hour ain't nobody goin to know the difference.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:19 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Crop Duster
Thanks Dave! I Will give them a call today. I know what you mean about wire sizes, even if you strip an old one and try to measure it they seem to be larger than what they really are. Besides bigger is better and at 50ft. and a hundered mile an hour ain't nobody goin to know the difference.
If have already done so, believe they will add catalog with order, suggest ask just in case. In browsing their catalog, found they have all the components to repair instrument and/or taillight sockets, 'pig tails' with insulator, spring, etc.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:27 PM
cbquinn66
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
american wire makes wiring for all of engine compartment for the slicks.Just completed it on my 66 style side.exact replica

Old 04-25-2017, 09:07 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by cbquinn66
american wire makes wiring for all of engine compartment for the slicks.Just completed it on my 66 style side.exact replica
Familiar with American Auto wire; purchase couple sets of individual wire harnesses over 10 years ago for the 65's, no question the quality was very good, at the time, same wire color codes and connectors, matter of disconnecting the original and plug in the American Auto Wire replacements.

Been to American Auto Wire website and could not find where they offered individual wire, nor offer a selection of primary, and tracer color wire in desired gauge?

In my case, wanted to replace a few wires for the sending units, and distributor circuit. In browsing Rhode Island wire found I was able to purchase individual wires, same manufacturer's primary and tracer wire color codes and in various gauge wire.