6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

please talk me down...LOL thinking about the "C" world

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 10:23 AM
Tarster
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sure, just put it in 4x4 and drive with the front end.. alittle duct tape.. SH** will buff out..

Old 05-04-2017, 10:35 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Somethings never change, no matter how fancy the rest of the truck gets.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:24 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 935 Likes on 737 Posts
Geez, really good photoshop or that thing has been overloaded and wrecked up too many times.

Oilfield road in Canada?

Old 05-07-2017, 11:02 AM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by ATP Pilot
you guys are not good therapist...LOL...I'm no longer a Ford owner...went to the other side...and bought:

2017 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 3500 DRW long bed with the Aisin transmission. Factory tow prep and lots of other goodies.... so far I really really like it. Can't wait to tow.

Thanks for everything...this has been a great site and I will keep in touch
I'm ready for your report and update.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:50 AM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Update:

Truck rides so much better than my F250 ever did, could be the heaver engine up front

UConnect 8.4 radio, Nav and ability to start from my phone is terrific

Pulls the trailer with easy and the stability of the dually is great.

Brake controller seems to be better

Right at 1,200 miles and no issues I really like this truck.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:09 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Update:

Truck rides so much better than my F250 ever did, could be the heaver engine up front
Honestly and not starting any kind of trouble here. If a 3500 DRW 6.7 diesel could not pull your current rig any better than the F250 with a gas 6.2, I would drive the truck ride back to the dealer and request my old truck back in a second Glad to see the new ride work out for you. I'm more interested in seeing if it's still running well in a year or two from now. Most of my buddies with Ram trucks seem to trade them out in 3 or so years "claiming they don't want to have problems" especially the half ton owners. I don't know if it's a half ton thing or just a 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton thing. Either way keep us posted.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:41 PM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,441 Likes on 937 Posts
As an owner of 2nd 3rd and 4th gen dodges i would like to weigh in
2nd gens live up to the dodge rep of falling apart around the motor, dash doors etc all have annoying bits and pieces that break fall off stop working etc. we put up with them because of the cummins
I put 112k in 6 yrs on my 3rd gen dually and 104k in 5 yrs on my 4th gen 2500
Both were great trucks and huge improvent over the previous generation. Never had an issue out of either(clutches in 2007, too much power) i did not cause except the right rear wheel seal on the 2012.

Before the cummins trucks i had 3 7.3's one 97, one 02' and one 03'. I started looking elsewhere because i grew tired of my 2006 v-10, i wasnt going near the 6.0 so i found dodge and went that route for awhile. The 17' super dutys sucked me back in to ford and i am happy with the truck.

Wht i am saying is ford dodge and chevy all make top notch trucks that are on the same level as one another.

The cummins comes alive if the emissions parts fall off, just the same as the powerstroke.
The filters and oil changes on my 99,07 and 12 came out much cheaper than any other diesel. I know the 13'-up are more expensive fuel filters and oil filter more difficult to get to, not really familiar with them.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:35 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Update:

Thanks for the update. That's a great looking setup you have.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:09 AM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Hi!,

Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
As an owner of 2nd 3rd and 4th gen dodges i would like to weigh in
2nd gens live up to the dodge rep of falling apart around the motor, dash doors etc all have annoying bits and pieces that break fall off stop working etc. we put up with them because of the cummins
I put 112k in 6 yrs on my 3rd gen dually and 104k in 5 yrs on my 4th gen 2500
Both were great trucks and huge improvent over the previous generation. Never had an issue out of either(clutches in 2007, too much power) i did not cause except the right rear wheel seal on the 2012.

Before the cummins trucks i had 3 7.3's one 97, one 02' and one 03'. I started looking elsewhere because i grew tired of my 2006 v-10, i wasnt going near the 6.0 so i found dodge and went that route for awhile. The 17' super dutys sucked me back in to ford and i am happy with the truck.

Wht i am saying is ford dodge and chevy all make top notch trucks that are on the same level as one another.

The cummins comes alive if the emissions parts fall off, just the same as the powerstroke.
The filters and oil changes on my 99,07 and 12 came out much cheaper than any other diesel. I know the 13'-up are more expensive fuel filters and oil filter more difficult to get to, not really familiar with them.
Wow! That's a pretty good write up. The Cummins does have that rep for reliability. Yes it's true when I see an older Dodge, the truck looks like hell but the motor is still going. I hope the newer trucks just hold up better. Most of my experience is with my friends who own 1500s. These guys seem to trade out every few of years and claim for problem reasons. One of them who owns a 3500 trades them in every year or so due to business reasons. Another friend wishes he could trade in for another Ford as his current dodge was a disappointment.

In the friends circle we have a bunch of very loyal Ford guys. We all seem to keep our rides the longest. We even have an Eco Boost 150 in there. The 2 Chevy guys dare not open their mouths. Even the Toyota Tacoma owner makes fun of them. It's pretty funny when a Toyo had to pull one of them out. Funny too since the one Chevy guy uses his dad's F 350 to tow his camper. He can't get his Chevy on the road fast enough. Then claims he has over 300K on the truck. The last time I saw it was on blocks at his house rusting away.

Originally Posted by RainDesert
Thanks for the update. That's a great looking setup you have.
Agreed! It does look like a nice rig for pulling.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:16 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
The G56 trucks are almost extinct around here and no more in production. I have given getting one some serious thought as I know they will always hold a good resale. Would you all say that a new manual "deleted" cummins would be as reliable as a new 6.2?

Old 03-06-2019, 12:11 PM
ddown54
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a Cummins Positives: When their is an Emissions problem you're only dealing with one company Cummins not Bosch, or numerous other suppliers. Mine had some issues but Cummins had Solution they build and warrantee Engine, DEF, Exhaust, Catalyst, EGR, the entire system one supplier. That's a good thing.. Not talking about rest of truck

Old 03-13-2019, 08:02 AM
llmflyfisher
Senior User
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dnewton3
Take an objective look at this ...
We're Ford guys here. So don't take our word for it.

In the Consumer Reports last couple of annual auto reviews, the worst brands in terms of performance / reliability: at or near the bottom were Fiat, Ram, Dodge, and Jeep. All related to the same parent company.

Ram with Cummins?
Great engine wrapped in a POS.
Unfortunately have to agree. My new F250 arrives March 24.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:13 PM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
They’re well on their way to looking like this around here after about 5 years. And this is the good side, as usual the bottom of the tailgate is rusted away. Next thing to happen is the pinch welds will let go...

Old 03-13-2019, 08:15 PM
EStrange
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't stop looking at this Ram 6.7 Dually with the "C" engine....came close to buying one twice before...now here I'm again....help...is there a 1-800 number I can call

I just traded out of one. If it helps.. and honest response with no brand loyalty one way or the other?

My Ram 2500 cummins was a great truck... I liked owning it. But this is a list of everything that happened, under warranty, that had me in a rental.

Lower shock bolt came loose and was banging around..

Rear main seal leak...

Trans pan gasket started leaking within 20K miles

Both batteries needed replacing within the first 30K miles.. at $200 a pop.

It requires a very expensive, and pain the butt fuel filter change regimen that costs around $350 if you have a shop do it... and will bathe you in diesel and give you a crik in the neck if you do it yourself. Oil changes are around $150+ with good oil.. oil filter location will make you cuss.

At the end of the day, our new Ford F250 gasser has almost double the payload.. and the same towing capacity of the Ram 2500 cummins truck.

Our mileage in the Diesel was about 15mpg averaged over the year.. but diesel was more expensive.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:13 PM
Blue6.2
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EStrange
I just traded out of one. If it helps.. and honest response with no brand loyalty one way or the other?

My Ram 2500 cummins was a great truck... I liked owning it. But this is a list of everything that happened, under warranty, that had me in a rental.

Lower shock bolt came loose and was banging around..

Rear main seal leak...

Trans pan gasket started leaking within 20K miles

Both batteries needed replacing within the first 30K miles.. at $200 a pop.

It requires a very expensive, and pain the butt fuel filter change regimen that costs around $350 if you have a shop do it... and will bathe you in diesel and give you a crik in the neck if you do it yourself. Oil changes are around $150+ with good oil.. oil filter location will make you cuss.

At the end of the day, our new Ford F250 gasser has almost double the payload.. and the same towing capacity of the Ram 2500 cummins truck.

Our mileage in the Diesel was about 15mpg averaged over the year.. but diesel was more expensive.
I had a very similar experience with my 2013 ram 2500 Cummins with less than 50,000 miles. Rear main seal leak (not uncommon), premature battery replacement (also not uncommon due to the style of block heater Cummins uses), water pump failure (if you have a newer Cummins and haven't had a water pump failure get ready because it's cummin). My truck had electrical demons as well and it was a nightmare trying to diagnose. This truck left me stranded more than any vehicle I've ever owned.

I averaged 14.5mpg for the life of the truck which is not very impressive considering diesel averaging .75 - $1 more per gallon. I use a little more fuel with the 6.2 but it cost me less money at the end of the week. The regen cycles kill the fuel mileage on the new diesels. My 6.2 f250 after 2 years and almost 28,000 miles has been flawless. Saving on fuel, oil changes, and no nasty/expensive fuel filter replacements doesn't hurt either.

The f250 has a much better suspension and build quality as a whole. More payload, similar towing capacity, and far better driving characteristics.
There is a reason you can get a ram 2500 diesel for around the same price you can get a f250 gasser. You get what you pay for!

Quick Reply: please talk me down...LOL thinking about the "C" world