Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Motorcraft Fuel Filter FAIL

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:41 AM
freesoul
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Motorcraft Fuel Filter FAIL

This is the gasket out of the box. I gently got it to fit in the bowl and carefully tightened it down, cleaned the area and observed no leaks. Drove about 15 miles and it failed on me requiring a tow because of where I stalled.

The purolator replacement I got has the flat gasket and fits much easier. Returning this to dealer today.

Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2017, 11:06 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
What kind of fuel bowl do you have? I've never seen the inside of one look like that before.

Stewart

Old 03-27-2017, 11:15 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
EDIT: IGNORE THIS POST. I was wrong!

Old 03-27-2017, 11:28 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
You got the wrong filter element (refer to the image below).
Oh heck, is that the top of a filter element in his bowl? Is that what perplexed me?

Stewart

Old 03-27-2017, 11:39 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Yeah, it almost looks like an empty bowl with just fuel in it.

WHOA... forget what I said in my earlier post!!

Now that I look at it closer, I believe it IS an empty bowl after all, and what we're seeing is fuel sitting in there without the filter element. I can see vaguely the heater coil through the fuel around the edge of the bowl.

OK... back up then and recalibrate. I see two potential failure points...

1) An oversized gasket o-ring due to poor QC when the filter element was packaged at the manufacturer, or

2) A failed (warped) fuel bowl lid.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:44 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
I see an upside down bevel ring not installed correctly. That beveled ring will fit accordingly, when installed on the bowl cap

Old 03-27-2017, 11:55 AM
F250_
Hotshot
I believe the bevel is correct in the OP's picture. If you zoom up close where the gap shows up and look carefully at about the 2:00 position where it meets the raised fuel bowl sidewall lip, it appears that the straight inside edge of the o-ring is up against the lip as it should be... at least that's how MY eyes see it.

I really think it was just a packaging mistake with too large of an o-ring to begin with.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:58 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
I see an upside down bevel ring not installed correctly. That beveled ring will fit accordingly, when installed on the bowl cap
The position and size look correct to me.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:15 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Fellas, the bevel is up and the fuel bowl isn't empty.

Freesoul, the motorcraft packaging has exact instructions. Are you running an aftermarket cap, lets say a luberfiner.........

Did you lube the gasket before install? Did you place it on the lid or on the bowl before install???

Tightened beyond spec will spit that baby out like my parents used to in the 60's.

Puro filters and gaskets are not the dream team.

Denny

BTW short story, On my way to take the kids to the circus 45 miles south. Michigan winter. Just serviced my filter and always carry a spare onboard. _0 degrees out light snow. Full tank. I get half way and notice my fuel is at half. First exit, off I go. Pull into a fuel station and pop the hood....heavy fuel in the valley and under the truck.

I can't feel my hands, so I just grabbed the spare, installed it correctly and continued on. Got to the circus, 1/4 tank now, should have paid more attention but with the kids and elephant dreams of rides, that went south. Was in the negs so I remote started the truck before the show ended. Walked up to the truck (running) and saw at least 5 gallons of fuel on the ground. Shut it down, checked the fuel filter housing. It was bright enough in the parking lot (yet bitter cold and blowing) to pull my new filter and inspect. The metal plate on the bottom of the element came off the original filter which didn't keep her from running, but wouldn't let the new filter get tight enough to seal the gasket surface. Took less than an hour to run thru a full tank and so glad we didn't get a flame on.

Most people as I did, take this simple maintenance task lightly. Fact is, I could have lit that whole arena up with parked cars because of my hasty situation and inept diagnosis.

Thanx for the patience, but make damn sure what ever you put in, you get out.

Denny

Old 03-27-2017, 03:21 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Just to add, I don't see in your bowl the fuel heater which should be readily evident unless it's glare. Everytime you change your filter, everyone recommends to pop your drain valve on the back to discharge contaminents and water as well as exercise the valve.

Wipe out the bowl for turds and go with everything fresh. KOEO a few times for 30 seconds and start and inspect for leaks.

Sorry about the double post, but it is very important to do this one truck burning venture accurately and with due diligence.

Salute,

Denny

Old 03-27-2017, 03:25 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
You had the right gasket, but wrong install technique. There should be a little donut gasket in there as well that goes on the bottom of the filter.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:53 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
If that is the lower donut gasket on the stem that mike is referring to in your photo.......that's the issue with the sealing. If the glove don't fit........(OJ days).

Old 03-27-2017, 03:56 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Freesoul, just to educate everyone on this forum and beyond. CAN YOU DRAIN THE BOWL COMPLETELY AND REPOST A PICTURE/PICTURES.

It would be used a lot in future discussions.

Denny

Old 03-27-2017, 05:23 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Looks like it need injector O rings that fuel is pit h black.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:37 PM
johnsps250
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DieselDenny
The metal plate on the bottom of the element came off the original filter which didn't keep her from running, but wouldn't let the new filter get tight enough to seal the gasket surface.
I had the same issue with plate coming off. Noticed it leaking right away at startup. Being irritated by the mess, I just figured I didn't get the lid tight enough with the makeshift wrench I was using. I then used the handle on my channel lock pliers in the lid groves, and a big screwdriver through the handle to tighten it. Leak stopped, it wasn't until the next time I changed the filter 10k miles later that I noticed the second metal plate in the bottom of the housing. Made me sick when I saw it.
That's been quite a while ago, and I have never had another one come apart like that. I have also never had to use that much torque on the lid since to get a leak free seal.

But you can bet I look out for it every time I change the filter now!!

Quick Reply: Motorcraft Fuel Filter FAIL