1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1956 T-700 Coleman 6x6

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 09:44 AM
T-700
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1956 T-700 Coleman 6x6

Hi guys,

Just joined your forum. My first 4x4 was a Dodge Power Wagon but my first driver was a 1977 F-150 Ford 4x4 stepside pickup. That was a great truck. But then in college when gas cost so much for the first time and I was broke I traded it for a 2002Tii BMW and my Ford days were over for a long time.

Then last summer I saw a 1985 F-800 4x4 bucket truck with huge high flotation tires that had been built for an electric company to access backwoods work I assume. It was reasonably priced, runs and drives and I have a lot of trees, so I figured buying it was the smart thing to do. Ha. It has a 7.3L diesel in it and lifts me up 50 feet in the air. It will pay for itself in a few years not having to hire tree trimmers.

But that truck doesn't really count as a collectable vehicle in my book, more of just a cool tool, plus I've been a serious Power Wagon guy since the 70s. Then about a year ago I saw some articles and photos of T-700 6x6 online and thought that thing had a lot going for it and I had never seen one. I sent some emails and searched high and low but could never get the name or contact info for the guy in Massachusetts who was trying to sell it, unsuccessfully. I have a facebook page for vintage all wheel drive vehicles pre 1970 with almost 1500 members at this point so I put a few pics on there of the truck and asked if anyone knew about it to pass the info on to me. I really didn't think it would amount to anything. But then a couple days later someone said that he thinks he found it and it was on ebay again for sale. I looked it up, contacted the guy and turns out the T-700 had been purchased from the guy in Mass and now lived in KS, where I do, and amazingly, I know the guy. We went to highschool together and used to go 4 wheeling back in the 70s. He has serious health issues and wants to sell off his stuff. He gave me a good price and the next day I went to pick it up. I can hardly believe it.

It's in pretty good running condition. It needs some detailing and I'm not sure what to do about the back end. I may just leave it as a cab chassis so I don't have to cover up the view to that great looking drivetrain or those very cool looking fuel tanks.

One easy question, is that a big back window cab? I need to know that to get a head liner. I haven't checked to see if the gauges work, so I might need some of those if available. Or have them rebuilt if that is the only option.

Still a Dodge guy, and International, but Ford can now officially be added to my moniker.

Attached Images     
Old 03-27-2017, 07:25 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to FTE. Thats one beautiful truck. It looks somewhat familiar. Maybe its been posted here before but either way , welcome back to the ford family...
Oh and that back window is the standard window. The big one curves around the corners.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:37 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Welcome to FTE the best Ford Truck Forum on the world wide Web!

I remember seeing that truck on ebay. And the way you got it, word of mouth, in your own state.... it was meant to be! The Ford gods were smiling on you!

Don't be a stranger, keep is posted with plenty of pictures. If your gauges don't work you can find NOS ones on eBay and they reproduce them. Check MidFifty.

What's the red **** for? It looks like a **** you pull for the PTO.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:45 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That is one beautiful beast.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:07 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,831 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Welcome to the board!!
That's a great looking truck. What a beast, WOW!

I'm envious, I'd love to have a big truck, I just don't have the room.

Bobby

Old 03-27-2017, 08:07 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 261 Likes on 215 Posts
Add my welcome. Great story, glad the truck found its way to you, but I guess sorry too it was due to your friend's ill health. Your Coleman has been discussed here a number of times before, and shows up early every time I do a Coleman search on Google Images. I'm sure you've gotten to know our Chuck Mantiglia and his magnificent F-7 Coleman. I had a close call at being a Coleman owner a year or so ago, but escaped uninjured. I'll also catch you on the Power Wagon forums, and glad you've joined us here. Stu

Old 03-27-2017, 08:10 PM
T-700
Junior User
Thanks for the welcome.

There are 2 big cast ***** on the dash, you just can't see the black on in the pic. The black one engages the PTO and the red one is out to power out and in to power in. I guess the dog on the Tulsa winch must have been worn and popping out of engagement because someone put a collar behind it so now it is always hooked up and also the handle is gone. Not too good for spooling out cable, particularly if you are alone, but I doubt the truck is going to see any serious off roading.

When I saw the original ad the guy said it had a rebuilt Ford 361 motor in it, not sure what year and came with a period rebuilt V8 and a "haystack" carburetor for it and the original V8 out of the truck. He also said he replaced the 5 speed crash box with an optional 5 speed trans with syncros. My friend who bought it from that guy never heard anything about the extra rebuilt motor and he said the trans does not have syncros in it. So far all I've done is take it off the trailer and drive 50 feet to park it inside my shop, so I don't know but he is probably right. There is a block and other engine parts in a crate, but it has a Chrysler tag on it. So unless it is a Ford motor that was rebuilt by Chrysler who knows. I have so many other truck project, and this motor is Ford and runs, so I will probably just leave it alone. If I come across proper motor I may pick it up for the future of the truck and someone else to deal with when I die.
It's a keeper.

There is another small **** on the left of the dash that locks the 2 rear axles together if need be. The truck also has factory power steering and power brakes.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:18 PM
T-700
Junior User
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
Add my welcome. Great story, glad the truck found its way to you, but I guess sorry too it was due to your friend's ill health. Your Coleman has been discussed here a number of times before, and shows up early every time I do a Coleman search on Google Images. I'm sure you've gotten to know our Chuck Mantiglia and his magnificent F-7 Coleman. I had a close call at being a Coleman owner a year or so ago, but escaped uninjured. I'll also catch you on the Power Wagon forums, and glad you've joined us here. Stu
Thanks. I may have seen his F-7 searching for photos, but I do not know of Chuck Mantiglia. I'm guessing if he as a Coleman too and I need to know him. Is he on here?

Fortunately the guy in Mass rebuilt a lot of stuff on the truck and also replaced all the tires with Firestone All Traction 8.25/20s. I love those tires and as far as I know they have been out of production for quite a while in the US, so I'm not sure how he got them. The wheels are a split in the middle rim and I don't know how it works and have never seen anything like it. I'll post a couple pics later along with a couple others and maybe someone knows.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:28 PM
T-700
Junior User
I just googled Chuck, and yes I know the truck. It is a beauty for sure and actually how I found this forum, from reading the long thread on his truck and saving photos to share of it on my FB page. No conversing with Chuck so far however. His truck has a Timken type front axle. Either earlier or lighter duty I guess.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:41 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Here's my old thread about Chuck's F-7 Coleman. IIRC there's a YouTube in there too of it driving. Chuck is owner of Chuck's Trucks in CT.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...7-coleman.html

Chucks Trucks LLC., Chuck's Trucks, Chucks Trucks

You're right that Firestone Super All Tractions are long gone. Looking more closely I see that you do have widow maker Firestone RH-5° rims. Tubeless 22.5" x 6.75" Accuride 28157s might be a good thing to look for in your yard searches. Your Dodges and IHCs have sheltered you from the widow maker plague. They both used Goodyear rims almost exclusively. Stu

Old 03-27-2017, 08:54 PM
T-700
Junior User
Thanks Stu, Split ring wheels I have no issue with and have serviced quite a few. Just have to be conscious about what you are doing. Split rim, Firestone rims as you say, I have never heard of. How are you supposed to mount and dismount tires? Do you hook the rim halves together then treat it the same as a tubeless rim? I guess I could google it. I doubt the truck is going to get much highway time and I have also never seen a lugged 22.5 mud snow tire that looks period, so I will probably just risk my life. I don't have a wife. So no widow to be made. lol

Old 03-27-2017, 09:03 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Of course, PTO for the winch. I forgot about your winch.

Power steering! Does your horn button have power steering written on it? If so can you post a pic. I'm sure many of our guys have never seen one.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:28 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Originally Posted by T-700
Thanks Stu, Split ring wheels I have no issue with and have serviced quite a few. Just have to be conscious about what you are doing. Split rim, Firestone rims as you say, I have never heard of. How are you supposed to mount and dismount tires? Do you hook the rim halves together then treat it the same as a tubeless rim? I guess I could google it. I doubt the truck is going to get much highway time and I have also never seen a lugged 22.5 mud snow tire that looks period, so I will probably just risk my life. I don't have a wife. So no widow to be made. lol
Not all Firestone's, just the RH-5°. I'll save band width and defer to past discussions and pics that you'll find on Google. I agree that no new tubeless 22.5s have old tread patterns. Instead, living in Kansas, there will be military surplus yards around Ft. Riley with Goodyear type 20" side ring wheels having your 6 x 8.75" pattern. Old pattern 8.25" x 20" traction tires are being reproduced and are available near you at Nebraska Tire and at all the mail order places. Stu

Old 03-28-2017, 07:44 AM
T-700
Junior User
Originally Posted by abe
Of course, PTO for the winch. I forgot about your winch.

Power steering! Does your horn button have power steering written on it? If so can you post a pic. I'm sure many of our guys have never seen one.
No. The horn button looks normal Ford.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:55 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Here is what I was thinking of.

So I was mistaken. This one is for a 1960 truck according to the eBay seller. Did they have then for 57-59 trucks with power steering? I guess I thought 53 to 56 trucks had them was because I saw a 56 F100 at a show once and the owner was so proud of his power steering horn button.

Quick Reply: 1956 T-700 Coleman 6x6