2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Truck in a Parking Garage - Not Good

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 11:56 PM
Pintabo
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truck in a Parking Garage - Not Good

Had my truck for three weeks now, loving it!! My office bldg has a parking garage under the bldg, and I park everyday on the first floor. Well Texas is going through a pollen overload right now and everything is covered in a yellow pollen dust, so being a smart guy I thought - hey, let's get it washed and clean for the weekend. We have a small car wash company that comes to our bldg a couple of days a week, so I give them my $25 and the keys. Head back to my office and when it's time to head out I go to my truck, to find him finishing up the roof.

He then asks me how tall is your truck, and I start to get worried. He tried to take it down to the second floor to their wash area, and we found out the hard way it won't fit down there - a massively large concrete pier completely raked the top of my truck. I have no idea how the moonroof did not shatter. Made me sick to my stomach just to look at it.

I am waiting on his insurance (Progressive) to call me back. He called them this afternoon and reported it. I sure hope they will cover it. Afraid that my insurance will have to cover. Just sucks.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:05 AM
jdunk54nl
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That sucks man! Hopefully his insurance will cover it, it should.

We drive my wife's car when we go downtown now due to parking garages being basically the only place to park. I attempted one garage and the antenna was hitting about 6" below. The 5 people behind me weren't happy when I made them backup. I have decided just to ignore parking garages unless I see 9' of clearance which I know is overkill but keeps my pucker factor at a minimum.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:46 AM
David1986
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow! Sorry your truck is damaged. Insurance should take care of it without issue.

Best of luck getting it repaired!

Old 03-25-2017, 09:37 AM
silver_pilate
Tuned
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Was in San Antonio for work recently and stayed at the conference hotel. I searched around for clearances in their garage. It was a no go by about 3 inches. Had to pay extra to valet it at the ground floor. Positive is it was right by the hotel door and valet stand so I wasn't as worried about break ins (which are an epidemic in San Antonio).

Nathan

Old 03-25-2017, 09:46 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Ouch. I have nightmares about that happening to my truck. If the wash guy's insurance doesn't cover it your insurance company will more than likely cover it and then go after his insurance company for the cost. Progressive knows this and will likely want to cover the fix upfront rather than end up having to ultimately cover the fix and legal fees.

I don't get why newer garages don't have a minimum clearance of 7.5 or 8 feet, especially here in Texas where most households have a truck. They built a new garage at Hobby Airport here in Houston and the clearance is only 6ft 9in...WTF?

Old 03-25-2017, 09:50 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nothing is more difficult to repair than roof damage.
Hope you get this done right.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:54 AM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
and its aluminum a whole lot different than steel, make sure your body shop knows how to fix aluminum. Some are even certified in it. The Importance of Certified F-150 Aluminum Body Repair - Peters Body Shop

Old 03-25-2017, 10:43 AM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
That really sucks, hopefully it gets repaired correctly and to your satisfaction.

They build them short because an extra 2' of concrete for every wall adds a LOT of money to the price of the building. Money they will never see when they sell or rent it out.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:45 AM
Americal_Vet
Junior User
When you said "he was finishing up the roof" - that's exactly what he did! Don't blame you, I'd be sick too. Hope all works out to your satisfaction.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:51 PM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh man, so sorry. I feel your sickness, good luck, hope it gets worked out to your satisfaction.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:20 PM
ofd343
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh Jeez, I think I would have cried a little

Old 03-25-2017, 04:16 PM
marysdad
Cross-Country
That's terrible. I park in a garage and have about 6 inches of clearance to the lowest beams (the beams above the angled ramps going up/down). The radio antenna is about 5 inches taller than the low beams. I have thought about shortening it, but decided to leave it be to serve as a telltale for when I unexpectedly encounter low clearance. I'll never let anyone else put the truck into a garage.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:59 PM
Americal_Vet
Junior User
Another terrible thing about this whole ordeal is if in the future, the auto-body repair shows up on a 'Car-Fax'... in most cases that will equate to diminished value.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:22 PM
C.moore01
Senior User
I went through a 7' clearance garage and never again .. the antenna was banging off concrete piers, whenever i plan a trip out of town I always check the parking garage cleanrences

Old 03-25-2017, 10:49 PM
Pintabo
New User
His insurance (Progressive) called today to get my account of the incident. They admitted that he is admitting that it was his fault, so that is a good start. But then they asked for my insurance company and account number - I refused to give it, and instead gave them my agency's number. Figured they can call her first, as I have already explained the situation to her, and she will fight to make sure they cover it all on my behalf.

My garage is 7'0", but apparently when you go down to the second floor (underground) it is less than 7' - these garages scare me bc they don't have accurate signs. My truck is stock, and it is not 7' - it should have fit just fine.

Will Progressive Insurance try to force me to go to one of their shops? I think the dealership would be the best for all the repairs - don't you guys think they could do it the best?

Quick Reply: Truck in a Parking Garage - Not Good