2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 F450 Speed Governor

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 06:36 AM
OnDLamb
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 F450 Speed Governor

Can someone recommend a way / tuner to remove the speed governor?
I looked up SCT and they don't have a tuner for the 2017 F450

Thanks

Old 03-24-2017, 09:04 AM
theboom
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
The governor is on there because it's the max speed rating of the commercial tires that come on the 450 so I don't know if you want to be doing that.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-24-2017, 10:26 AM
Johnpsz
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
So not to sound like I'm getting too old here, I was a drag racer and street racer in my youth, but what is the need to go more than 90 MPH (it's limited to 87 MPH)in a truck as big as the F450? Not to mention you'd be sucking fuel like crazy.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:07 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnpsz
So not to sound like I'm getting too old here, I was a drag racer and street racer in my youth, but what is the need to go more than 90 MPH (it's limited to 87 MPH)in a truck as big as the F450? Not to mention you'd be sucking fuel like crazy.
I too am getting older and gave up driving foolishly over 25 years ago, but I'll remove the speed limiter on my F450 when it's convenient as well.

I raised the limiter in my F150 to 130 MPH 8 years ago, but the truck has never seen 85 MPH or above. If I had an emergency, I could make the decision to drive faster than the OEM speed limiter. Even with the near-zero chance I'll need to drive over 87 in my new F450, I don't want the ability to do so taken away from me.

If I understand tire speed ratings correctly, the F450 tires are rated to sustain 87 MPH at full load (22,940# between the 6 of them) on the hottest of days without overheating. That doesn't mean they'd have an issue exceeding this speed for a short period, especially if running empty. Even the heavier (esp per tire) front axle is at only 70% of the tires rated capacity and you'd be over GVWR before the rears hit 70%. I suppose I'm just a big fan of liberty and don't want others making decisions like this for me ahead of time.

BTW, a 4.30 geared F450 engine would be spinning at 3200 RPMs in 6th gear by the truck hits 104, so anything above that is superfluous.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:30 AM
Johnpsz
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 2009kr
I too am getting older and gave up driving foolishly over 25 years ago, but I'll remove the speed limiter on my F450 when it's convenient as well.

.... Even with the near-zero chance I'll need to drive over 87 in my new F450, I don't want the ability to do so taken away from me.

.... I suppose I'm just a big fan of liberty and don't want others making decisions like this for me ahead of time.
As a Vet I completely agree, and this would be the ONLY reasons that I would remove it to, at least personally.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:34 AM
AngelesCrest
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are 350s speed governed? shtf situations...

Old 03-24-2017, 12:21 PM
OnDLamb
New User
Originally Posted by AngelesCrest
are 350s speed governed? shtf situations...
Yes they are

Old 03-24-2017, 12:25 PM
OnDLamb
New User
Thanks for those that replied with their personal opinion
Not trying to be a *****; but I was looking for a recommendation; I'm sure I'm not the only one that's interested in removing the governor for WHATEVER reason.

The thread is looking for a recommendation for an available tuner; BUT if you must chime in with your feelings....it is what it is.
I just wanted to remind the purpose of this thread

Thanks

Old 03-24-2017, 02:04 PM
Johnpsz
More Turbo
Originally Posted by OnDLamb
Thanks for those that replied with their personal opinion
Not trying to be a *****; but I was looking for a recommendation; I'm sure I'm not the only one that's interested in removing the governor for WHATEVER reason.

The thread is looking for a recommendation for an available tuner; BUT if you must chime in with your feelings....it is what it is.
I just wanted to remind the purpose of this thread

Thanks
No, you're not being a *****, being a ***** would be like chiming in and saying, "if you searched the forums, you will see there is nothing available yet", lol.

But truthfully, you have all the rights to try and keep a thread you started on topic, however after a few months on here and starting a few threads I have succumbed to the playful atmosphere of this forum and sometimes contribute to the sidetracks, my bad...

Old 01-02-2019, 08:38 PM
gilliaa
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnpsz
I first learned of my speed governor when I was driving in AZ to a dog show up a grade with 2 lanes on my side. I was in fast lane, with 2 big rigs next to me in slow lane. I was about 1/3 back from front of second big rig who decided to pass the slower big rig in front of him. I was going about 85 and all of a sudden this big rig starts sliding over into my lane with no place for me to go but speed up to get in front of him before he ran me off the road (a large drop-off in the center divider). I floored the accelerator to get away from him while honking my horn, but my governor kicked in and stopped me! My life flashed because he didn't hear my horn quick enough. I couldn't slam on the brakes to let him in because he was too long and his rear would have knocked me over the edge before I slowed down. So this is an example when you might need to exceed the speed limit governor for a short time for safety reasons. I was pissed because FORD did not warn me about the speed governor (or the auto shut off of the engine after 15 minutes which almost killed 6 dogs in 100 degree weather while I left it running while I went in a diner to eat lunch.) This is my 4th FORD truck since 2005 and to make such drastic changes without a warning was very negligent in my humble opinion.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:21 PM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
So, did anyone find a concenient way to raise the speed limiter yet? It was a simple parameter with my tuner on my 2009 F150. I suspect there is a value settable via forscan just waiting to be discovered.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:37 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,730 Likes on 1,328 Posts
There are highways with speed limits of 85mph in this country. To have a vehicle governed at 87mph is stupid. The only governor a vehicle needs is the size of the ***** the driver has between his legs. I hope you find a way!

Old 01-03-2019, 06:51 AM
Lindenwood
Senior User
Why? Because 'Merica!

Old 01-03-2019, 11:10 AM
ravill
Senior User
I want to talk about my feelings.

I believe my government will protect me and will make good decisions for me.

I don’t need to think because my fearless leaders will make the best decisions for me.

I feel the same way about the speed governer.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:28 PM
First Dually
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ravill
I want to talk about my feelings.

I believe my government will protect me and will make good decisions for me.

I don’t need to think because my fearless leaders will make the best decisions for me.

I feel the same way about the speed governer.
Well ravill, at least you have good taste in trucks!

Quick Reply: 2017 F450 Speed Governor