"Related Thread" nonsense on mobile app

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 10:14 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
"Related Thread" nonsense on mobile app

Why must we have these so-called "Related Thread"s abutting the end of all threads on the mobile app? 9 times out of 10 they have absolutely nothing to do with the thread I'm scrolling through, but there they are! I end up scrolling through someone's random thread. Pisses me off every time! Having possible related thread titles after a thread is fine, but to always have a random thread show up is not a good idea at all. A few months ago there was a survey on here that I took the time to fill out, and I said how unnecessary the related thread nonsense was, but it persists. Obviously someone thinks it is of some value.

David

Old 03-23-2017, 05:52 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
i simply turned related threads off a couple years ago when they first showed up. POOF no more related threads on the page.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:34 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
You mean I can just change a setting and turn these damned things off? Hot dog!

edit: Nope, unfortunately, that doesn't work.

I'm NOT talking about the related thread titles that show up at the bottom of threads on the full desktop site, I can make that disappear, but that has never bothered me one way or the other. I'm referring to the MOBILE site when viewing a thread and scrolling down, there are always these dang blasted "related" but not even remotely related threads that show up. I tend to focus mainly on the older Dentsides, and the related threads shown are usually for much newer trucks that have nothing even remotely to do with the thread I was looking at, but there they are!

Am I the only mobile user annoyed by this pointless, yet intrusive, feature?

David

Old 03-24-2017, 08:06 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by rougeriver
Am I the only mobile user annoyed by this pointless, yet intrusive, feature?

David
Probably.

But I can understand your frustration, I went to a JY yesterday and was wanting to use my phone's camera to send some pictures and I quickly abandoned that effort... have to allow the Facebook Messenger thing to access the device, fine, go ahead... but then that stupid app defaulted to the FRONT camera and the sun glare made it virtually impossible to see the screen with all the little icons you click or swipe on to change things... it was frustrating as all heck and I was ready to smash the thing so I gave up.

But in the correct, low-pressure situation, all those buttons and adjustments can be pretty useful.

So, my take is, "it depends" and I should maybe learn how to use that phone/app stuff some more so I don't get so frustrated. The related threads things is similar... depending on what information a user is looking for, the results may or may not be pertinent. I have no idea how the IB mobile app thing works these days, I personally haven't used it in over 3 years.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:12 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
i use the full version on my tablet. the mobile is not worth bothering with.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:17 PM
IB Jose
Internet Brands
Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts
We do recommend the desktop full version on tablet.

The related threads in the mobile template have been there for at least a year and a half now.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:13 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by IB Jose
We do recommend the desktop full version on tablet.

The related threads in the mobile template have been there for at least a year and a half now.
And I have cursed them every single day for a year and a half!

Why were they put in the template? Did someone think it was of some benefit?

I have tried using the desktop version on my phone but that has it's obvious negative issues due to layout and size. I like the mobile version except for this unfortunate feature.

I will stop beating this dead horse and just live with it. Lol.

David

Old 03-25-2017, 07:21 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
someone somewhere decided related threads was a good thing and added it years ago.
it is part of the code and to delete it would probably be such a pain in the asterisk it is just easier to leave it be.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:21 PM
IB Jose
Internet Brands
Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts
The related threads were designed for search users landing on the site, and it has been helpful for us.

We are in talks of adding a toggle at some point in the future for registered users to not display, as it's not really worthwhile for logged in members.