1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Holley Pro-Jection on 390?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 01:43 PM
1965kale
Cross-Country
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Holley Pro-Jection on 390?

Has anyone done this? I like my motor craft carb, but with this being my daily driver, I put more than 20k on this truck a year, & I want to at least try it out, I already have the 2D throttle body, so I would just need a pump, wire harness and an ECU, if I'm correct. has anyone done this on their 390? or any FE, how did it work?

Old 03-22-2017, 02:24 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Why not do a Holley Sniper or FITech TBI??

.. add a fuel pressure regulator, high pressure line, return line, fittings, filters, and an O2 sensor and bung to your shopping list.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:33 PM
1965kale
Cross-Country
well, I already have the projection 2D TBI unit from an old chevy i had, and I have a budget, just doing the projection, I can keep my intake manifold, and I need too buy a lot less parts

Old 03-23-2017, 08:12 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 1965kale
well, I already have the projection 2D TBI unit from an old chevy i had, and I have a budget, just doing the projection, I can keep my intake manifold, and I need too buy a lot less parts
Good luck with tuning it and getting it to actually run.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:47 AM
1965kale
Cross-Country
well when its -45 out I think ill be glad to have the fuel injection instead of the carb, this winter it took me 3 tries to get it started once i think, carb and engine are both in fine condition, but when its any colder than -20 that cold start is a bitch and always takes a couple tries

Old 03-23-2017, 11:53 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
well when its -45 out I think ill be glad to have the fuel injection instead of the carb, this winter it took me 3 tries to get it started once i think, carb and engine are both in fine condition, but when its any colder than -20 that cold start is a bitch and always takes a couple tries
Besides a block heater I wonder if there is a fuel heater out there sold to help you cold weather folk. Maybe even adapt one for a diesel truck to your rig.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:58 PM
1965kale
Cross-Country
that would be nice, my block heater does wonders in the cold, but sometimes its just too cold even for that, a heated honeycomb carb spacer would be cool, Iv thought of doing something like that, like a heated intake on a cummins

Old 03-24-2017, 01:10 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
http://www.arctic-fox.com/fuel-fluid-warming-products/in-line-fuel-warming

In-Line Fuel Warming

In-Line fuel warming is a proven, cost effective method of providing protection against stall-outs due to fuel waxing. Obtain the margin of safety you need in moderate cold weather temperatures with In-Line Fuel Warmers from Arctic Fox. In extremely cold weather operation, In-Line Warmers may be combined with In-Tank Fuel Warmers to provide additional protection.
Installation is accomplished by simply routing fuel and coolant lines to the unit. Heat is exchanged inside through a series of stainless steel tubes to provide efficient fuel warming. In-Line Fuel Warmers are available with and without mounting brackets and fuel temperature sensing, coolant shut-off thermostats.
By positioning the unit close to the fuel filter, you are obtaining maximum fuel warming efficiency and preventing costly fuel freezing and clogging at the filter. An advantage of In-Line Fuel Warmers is the flexibility of mounting applications.
Arctic Fox has an In-Line Fuel Warmer model to fit applications from forklifts and passenger cars to construction and mining equipment. Arctic Fox In-Line Fuel Warmers are compatible with Diesel Fuel, Diesel Fuel Additives, and there are models available to operate with B-100 Biodiesel as well.
For more information, download our full line Product Catalog, or go the "Product Information" section to see product data sheets, installation instructions and other information to help with your decision making.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:31 PM
1965kale
Cross-Country
does anybody know if a TBI unit off of a 1991 chevy silverado can be hooked up to the holley projection 2d system? they look identical, & I already have the chevy TBI, i just need the o2 sensor, wire harness, computer & fuel pump. is the 2d the same exact thing as chevy's TBI's they used all those years?

Old 04-03-2017, 05:27 AM
Classicdriver
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anybody know if a TBI unit off of a 1991 chevy silverado can be hooked up to the holley projection 2d system? they look identical, & I already have the chevy TBI, i just need the o2 sensor, wire harness, computer & fuel pump. is the 2d the same exact thing as chevy's TBI's they used all those years?
To me, doing things like that seems to end up causing you more problems than you already have. This may help,

Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2017, 09:14 AM
1965kale
Cross-Country
If they are in fact an identical unit, ill use it, I'm gonna compare mine to another one, a mechanic I work with has one and he says it will work cause all the parts are the exact same parts

Old 04-14-2017, 07:15 PM
1965kale
Cross-Country
Alright HIO silver, talk too me about this Holley Sniper or FITech TBI, Ill own this truck forever, and have not heard a lot of good about the projection 2d. I need something reliable that will start in extreme cold every time.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:28 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,088 Likes on 1,781 Posts
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
In-Line Fuel Warming

In-Line fuel warming is a proven, cost effective method of providing protection against stall-outs due to fuel waxing. Obtain the margin of safety you need in moderate cold weather temperatures with In-Line Fuel Warmers from Arctic Fox. In extremely cold weather operation, In-Line Warmers may be combined with In-Tank Fuel Warmers to provide additional protection.
Installation is accomplished by simply routing fuel and coolant lines to the unit. Heat is exchanged inside through a series of stainless steel tubes to provide efficient fuel warming. In-Line Fuel Warmers are available with and without mounting brackets and fuel temperature sensing, coolant shut-off thermostats.
By positioning the unit close to the fuel filter, you are obtaining maximum fuel warming efficiency and preventing costly fuel freezing and clogging at the filter. An advantage of In-Line Fuel Warmers is the flexibility of mounting applications.
Arctic Fox has an In-Line Fuel Warmer model to fit applications from forklifts and passenger cars to construction and mining equipment. Arctic Fox In-Line Fuel Warmers are compatible with Diesel Fuel, Diesel Fuel Additives, and there are models available to operate with B-100 Biodiesel as well.
For more information, download our full line Product Catalog, or go the "Product Information" section to see product data sheets, installation instructions and other information to help with your decision making.
You know this is for a diesel because diesel fuel will/can wax when cold. Never heard of gasoline waxing?

1965kale, that is the best news I think we all have heard. Piecing a system together I think is just asking for issues and if used as an every day transport its not what I would do.
Dave ----

Old 04-14-2017, 11:29 PM
1965kale
Cross-Country
well, Im sure the GM TBI would work the same as the holley TBI, but I would rather not use the analog system from the far past. Im really liking the looks of this FI tech TBI, Im looking at running the 40003 with the fuel command center, so I can eliminate the need for a return line, and can therefore keep my perfectly functioning dual tanks withought altering any of that. Im still not entirely sure how that fuel command center works though, it dosnt make sense too me yet. but I really like the Idea of the whole system. would suit me just great, the only downside is I need to find a 4 barrel intake manifold for my 390

Old 04-15-2017, 12:02 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
well, Im sure the GM TBI would work the same as the holley TBI, but I would rather not use the analog system from the far past. Im really liking the looks of this FI tech TBI, Im looking at running the 40003 with the fuel command center, so I can eliminate the need for a return line, and can therefore keep my perfectly functioning dual tanks withought altering any of that. Im still not entirely sure how that fuel command center works though, it doesnt make sense too me yet. but I really like the Idea of the whole system. would suit me just great, the only downside is I need to find a 4 barrel intake manifold for my 390
The FiTech Fuel Command Center Assembly is mounted in your engine compartment. It can also be mounted anywhere on the vehicle’s chassis if necessary. The conventional fuel line that originally went to your carburetor is connected to the “IN” port of the Fuel Command Center. A supplied high pressure hose is plumbed from the Command Center to the inlet port on your EFI throttle body.

Your stock carbureted fuel pump (or a TBI low pressure EFI pump) feeds low pressure fuel to the FiTech Fuel Command Center’s sump tank.

A reservoir of fuel is in the sump tank at all times so the 340 L/PH pump inside is submerged in fuel. The sump tank contains a float that automatically shuts off the fuel coming into the Sump Tank when the correct fuel level is reached. At that point the stock pump is dead heading against the Fuel Command Center just like it normally would against a fuel pressure regulator.

When the engine is running the Fuel Command Center pump supplies high pressure (58 PSI) fuel to the EFI throttle body.

Consider the Edelbrock Performer PN 2105 or Performer RPM PN 7105. Starts at about $340 nowadays...

Alternatively, an OEM "S" code FE intake for around $100 to $150. Edelbrock Streetmaster is another alternative although prices are climbing for vintage FE intakes... like $200 to $250.

And as an FYI, ... an aluminum intake weighs around 22 pounds... an OEM intake is around 80 lbs.... What is equivalent to about 60 pounds in the real world? A bag of QuikCrete concrete!!!! Ever lift one?

Quick Reply: Holley Pro-Jection on 390?