Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

6.9 IDI Podunk retired ambulance

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 08:56 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The reason their prices are low is the do not have a brick and mortar store they are drop bc shippers for the manufacturers

Old 03-28-2017, 07:34 PM
640rider
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That bites, I didn't get a message telling me of your posts and have just ordered some universal window channel weatherstripping off Ebay after frustrating myself to the point of just going for it and saying I'll making it work. Potential self inflicted tribulations may follow, stay tuned.

Today started with three failed key only efforts at starting the ambulance and had to apply a little throttle to make it start. Yesterday it stalled twice, once while making a turn that nearly caused a skid mark on the drivers seat and another while coming to a stop.

This stalling happened again a few times today and the wheels in my head started turning, somebody siphoning fuel, fuel pump, lift pump, water in the fuel, air in the fuel lines WTH did I do?

Hesitating at even the thought I reached down next to the drivers seat and pulled the water release chinggie, then looked underneath, no water to be seen. Popped the hood, check the bottom of the fuel filter for a water valve, WIX but no valve, nodda!
The fuel tank is at a 1/3 to 1/4 of a tank by my best guess and being the fuel gauge is not working and after some reading it sounded as though the fuel pickup might be the issue. Oh come on, it's acting like it's running out of fuel this can't be that easy! Topped the tank and yes it was that easy, the fuel pickup starts sucking air at about a 1/3 to 1/4 tank.

No call back from the number supplied for info on the sending unit yet. I would have called again today but I got busy again. I may be juggle fumbling the tank out of this thing tomorrow although rain's forecast for Thursday.

Doesn't seem right but the RDT may have effected my mileage in a negative 2.5 mpg gallon kind of way that will have a new CDR replacing the RDT real soon if this kind of mileage is seen much more at all. The CDR that was removed I wouldn't trust going back in, it's looking pretty soupy inside!
Taking everything into account it's been real windy lately and this road brick cuts the wind like a kite! We shall see eventually.

Edit: I also found out it's a limited slip 4:10 today too.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:52 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Clean your CDR up. On the off chance it is bad it malfunctions to open. On your eBay if it has not shipped contact the seller see if he will cancel and give you a refund

Old 03-28-2017, 09:45 PM
640rider
5th Wheeling
Like most everything on the net I've read pros and cons to cleaning the CDR too, solvents and thin diaphragm, not real expensive just get a new one...... if I go there I'll likely just use some fuel after pulling what parts I can so I'll be able to get the fuel back out again. May be time to read up on the cleaning process some more.

I've been putting a little more thought to it and it may very well be the wind that caused the mileage decrease, it has been windy especially yesterday. Passing big rigs going the other direction recalled memories bikers swept off the road.

Considering the price of the weatherstrip and having already contacted the Ebay seller to clarify shipping and parts on hand I'm committed or should be, we'll know through the outcome of the task at hand.

Oh yeah, the dash temp selector is no longer stuck on the heat side of things and actually works now, AC doesn't though. I'd imagine R22 is about ounce for ounce with platinum these days, this would be what the wind wings are for. Radio, nah, gone the way of the Dodo long ago I'd guess, not a peep out of the thing.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:33 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
You can still get R 12 if you the certification card. R22 is for houses

Old 03-30-2017, 12:44 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Check your system carefully. Like my van, the PO converted the system to R134a a decade ago. You might already have a converted system.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:12 PM
640rider
5th Wheeling
R12 it is than, ur maybe the 134, I haven't really gone there yet, not certified and I'm without the proper tools for the job. Maybe a working sound system would be cool enough?

The rain came in and the fuel tank's still full, I have a big Tupperware storage kind of container, might just be 50 gallon. Not sure how the fuel would treat the plastic, likely best to line it anyway, any suggestions?

Old 04-01-2017, 10:50 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Original text in wrong forum. Please disregard

Old 04-04-2017, 02:39 PM
640rider
5th Wheeling
The weatherstripping is a huge improvement, about as good as can be expected for the $50 spent although OEM would likely be better. Way less wind noise in the cab and it shouldn't rain inside anymore I'd think.

That whistling I mentioned earlier has increased in volume and seems to be coming from back around the rear axle or somewhere in that area. Could an RDT make a whistling noise on start up? That's my guess anyway, not usually dressed for crawling under when I'm starting the beast and generally prefer to at least get the motor warmed to running temp if I'm starting it. Excuses working for you?
I don't start seeing blow by at the oil fill cap until after the motor has been run for a while and has heated up. This motor may have more run time on it than I had thought.
Oh yeah, I caught the odometer as it flipped to 80,000 and it flipped to 80,001 not 80.000, does this indicate anything? Maybe 180,000?

The Dorman 692-115 is the crap shoot I'm banking on being the dimensions seem fitting and it's worked for others with some persuasion. An inline resistor could end up playing a part in my near future, just has yet to be seen.
An old shower curtain lining my big Tupperware storage bin seems to be the temporary fuel storage plan besides a $7 hand operated transfer pump that could end up being a workout in the patience department. I figure I'll get the tank down to about a 1/3, then I'll tilt it on the straps with the motorcycle jack under it. From there it may end up being emptied and coming out for cleaning or with luck what has to be done can be done with the tank in that tilted position. Hoping one man band coordination will not have to be applied!

A $40 sound system is on the way too, budget permitting a lot of this is just bandaging that will eventually be modified or replaced.

The differential I've been researching and looks a little more in depth than originally pondered, this includes the expense! It's limited slip now and with my eventual plans I might as well go locking OX or electric locker while the 4:10 potentially gets the nix .
Cable routing of an OX and lever placement may just have me opting for the electric lock although this has yet to be seen. I've still got a ways to go with this honestly taking eventual tire size limitations into account of the 87s and all the other variables which include the funds for the changes.

Edit: Might anyone have a suggestion for oil test reports from various routing of CDR sytems? I'm curious as to how an RDT verses valve cover routing, verses fuel timing window, verses stock CDR may vary.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:22 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
i doubt it has 180k on it. probably 80,000 miles and 100,000 hours.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:52 PM
640rider
5th Wheeling
Maybe 80/80, it's been out of service for years, I got it from a fire chief. 100,000 hours would be just over 11 years of idling, hard for me to conceive of.

Something I read today did seem to make some sense. The Royal Purple site states that synthetic motor oils are less volatile than conventional oils. Likely part of the reason the synthetic made the engine run more quite than when I got it.

Seems the RDT is the source of the whistling on start up. Why on start up only is the mystery!

Still wondering about crank case vapor venting to different areas of the motor and how it might effect oil tests versus an RDT?

Old 04-07-2017, 12:04 PM
640rider
5th Wheeling
Rain forecast for the next two days and the sending unit just showed up.

Is it just me or are these things a prime example of archaic engineering?

I can think of three better resistance based technologies available at the time of manufacturer and this is what Ford went with!? OMG!

No wonder why people complain of the fuel gauge bouncing and being so inaccurate! By the looks of it I'm surprised there isn't a knife switch to turn the thing on!
Almost discouraging installing the thing!

Old 04-07-2017, 05:37 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
It pretty standard setup on fuel sending units . When I worked at JB hunt we all had an old in our toolboxes for testing

Old 04-07-2017, 05:43 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I find your lack of faith in old technology..... disturbing......

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-10-2017, 12:58 PM
640rider
5th Wheeling
Yeah, I think my dodge was the same although I didn't take to time to look at it like I have this one. The dodge has the pump in the tank and a far different assembly.

Evolution can be disturbing

The 5/8" bolts holding the tank straps are likely going to have to be cut out being I've already broken tools trying to loosen them. I'm with the feeling the trials and tribulations have only just begun with this project.

Quick Reply: 6.9 IDI Podunk retired ambulance