Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New To Me 7.3L Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 06:13 PM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
Received 136 Likes on 77 Posts
If I was you, I'd get the truck up on ramps and do a lot more cleaning. Its a messy damn job, but it needs to be clean to find that leak.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:17 PM
patchychilli
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, big reply delay again. If you look in the third picture that seems to be the wettest area. I think this is one of the oil cooler lines? My rear leak seems to be the drain plug possibly? I haven't done an oil change yet, figured I should stop the leaking before I replace all the oil and pump it back out. Don't worry, I've been keeping an eye on the level. I'm not blowing my new baby up.

As a response to an earlier post, the o-rings have been done for the fuel drain. That was my major major leak. Now I'm trying to deal with these smaller ones. Don't like leaving a parking lot all rainbow colored. Sets a bad image, imo.

I'll need to get some heavier ramps before I can do more under carriage washing. I agree it needs to happen.

I think this is the source of the leak.

Rear leak seems to maybe just be drain plug? Bad crush washer?

Old 04-10-2017, 12:05 AM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
sometimes, if your stars align, it turns out to be the simple things......

Old 04-10-2017, 07:02 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I'm not seeing the line that you are talking about, sometimes I can't see the nose on my face. The oil cooler is a direct mount to the block, there are gaskets, it has no lines to and fro so you don't have an oil cooler line leaking.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:01 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
It may be just me but in the last pic, that oil soaked pan looks just like mine when I had the dipstick flange leaking.
New O-rings and a cleanup and all is good.
Not saying that is your whole issue but could be contributing.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:50 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
One other thing...that oil pan is getting rusty and if you could clean it up enough to get some paint on it it would be a good thing, the engine has to come out to replace that pan.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:48 AM
patchychilli
New User

This is the line I am talking about that seems to be leaking.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:38 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
I believe thats a fuel line.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:00 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
It looks like it is the fuel bowl feed,return line
Fuel Bowl Feed/Return Line Set - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Old 04-11-2017, 08:12 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
I agree with the previous two and I am in the midst of doing that job myself right now. If that leaks it should leak when you turn the key on and the pump runs for 20 or 30 seconds. You will also smell the diesel. Mine sprays a nice atomized mist all over the place. I think I have found a more reasonable way to do the job but no matter what it will be a PITA if you have to replace that tubing.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...fuel-bowl.html

Old 04-11-2017, 10:03 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Ok, here's the deal. I have had that leak on every 7.3 I have owned. That oil is from oil cooler o-rings on the front housing. It leaks right down onto to those fuel lines. It looks like, LOOKS like some kind of oil line leak, but it is not. When you get an Oil cooler o-ring kit,it will come with new gaskets that go behind each housing. That will fix that front leak onto the fuel lines. I would spray carb or brake cleaner liberally on those fuel lines. It will get them nice and clean.

As for the pan leak...do you see all the oil on the passenger side of the pan? You need to see if you can gently tighten the dipstick tube o-ring nut. it requires a pair of channel locks to do so. I am guessing, like on every one I have owned, that it is finger tight. Do not over tighten or you will have a bigger leak.

Those are very common places to get oil leaks on these trucks. The good news is they are fairly easy to fix.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:20 PM
reelstuff
New User
I just went through the same thing, so far I have located, six different leaks, (the EBPV is notorious for leaking, (I deleted mine) ) the turbo pedestal can leak in multiple locations. One thing I noticed about your pics was the (bright orange gasket maker) you said you got this from a local dealer? That looks like it was done very recently, (oil pan) image attached.

Old 04-24-2017, 02:02 AM
patchychilli
New User
Coming back to revive my own dying thread (was gone at a tradeshow for work all last week).

The dealer I bought the truck from did no work on it. They sold it as a "budget vehicle" because it fell out side of the criteria of something they'd stand behind. IE: too many leaks, miles to high etc. The owner history shows fleet ownership from new until 2015 where someone bought it, had it about a year and a half and traded it in.

I'm not sure why. I've put 1,200 miles on the truck so far and beside from the leaks it runs great. It fogs a bit of smoke when cold (white) but that clears up after about a minute so I'm assuming unburned fuel. There's no skip or miss when she's doing that. Other than that, she does not smoke at all. No blue black or white smoke even if you really get on it. I was surprised, I was expecting a bit of black smoke but it is what it is.

I guess I should be afraid of what could happen but this is the most money, and the newest vehicle I've ever owned. I've been a $500 craigslist car guy up until now. I'm not afraid of mileage. Things break on used cars, sometimes costs more than it's worth. I'll still be ahead vs 30K on a new truck, so to hell with it. I get the feeling personal diesel ownership will be going by the wayside in the future, so I might as well enjoy it now.

My plan right now from what I've read here is Oil cooler O ring kit, tighten dipstick bolt, wash a **** load, paint oilpan and then drive some more. See what happens. I'll keep checking in with more info.

Last edited by patchychilli; 04-24-2017 at 02:05 AM. Reason: late, bad at composing thoughts this late.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:09 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
A secondary concern is all of that oil soaking on your steering gear and suspension bushings. Oil is not a friend to rubber.

Regarding the oil cooler repair, that requires draining the coolant, so you may as well look into a coolant flush as well. An excellent write-up is Gooch's Radiator Flush.

Since you mentioned that the truck was serviced up to 2015, if it was dealer serviced, those service records might be available through Ford's OASIS, although you'll need to go through a Ford dealer for that information. That might let you know how well the coolant was maintained, and save you the coolant flush step. You can also find some interesting info about your new truck at FordEtis. And welcome to FTE!

Old 04-24-2017, 08:17 AM
AACoPD05
Mountain Pass
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
For what its worth the oil you see looks similar to mine when the oil cooler was leaking. From what I've read there are only usually three common places for oil to leak on these, oil cooler seals, turbo pedestal, and hpop. Mine, oil cooler seals, was wet in the front of the motor, drip down the oil filter, and drip off the oil pan. After replacing the seals and gasket there was no more leak, no more puddles, and not a drop underneath. Great video on youtube showing you how its done.

Quick Reply: New To Me 7.3L Oil Leak