Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

New 2013 , did dealership really change the oil question

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 03-19-2017, 07:22 PM
motionmatt
Junior User
motionmatt is starting off with a positive reputation.

Ive put 1500 miles on my new to me 2013 F350. The dealership said they changed the oil and filter prior to putting it up for sale but I just found out through my Forscan app that my oil life is 6% left, Ive had 156 days since last oil change and 7000k miles since last change.

Think the dealer really changed it and forgot to hit the reset or did I get scammed on that? This was at a Ford Dealership.

While I was looking at the truck I had the salesman go to the Service dept and get a record of all the stuff done to the truck just prior to sale. This list included brakes and rotors all the way around, new shocks, oil change, filter change , Trans fluid change and coolant change. They full of BS? Truck has 50K on it. The rotors, brakes and shocks all look new to me.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:07 PM
Jeff Campbell
New User
Jeff Campbell is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not trying to sound too optimistic, but I bet they did and forgot to reset oil life indicator. However, piece-of-mind might be worth a $105 oil change. At least you'll know it was done at that point.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:44 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Army RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to behold
Take it back to the dealer and ask. Maybe (just maybe) they'll give you a good will oil change, either free or at half price. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:40 PM
elee3
Posting Guru
elee3 is a splendid one to beholdelee3 is a splendid one to beholdelee3 is a splendid one to beholdelee3 is a splendid one to beholdelee3 is a splendid one to beholdelee3 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the reminder. I changed my oil last week but forgot to reset the counter. I'm going to do it right now before I forget.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:43 PM
motionmatt
Junior User
Originally Posted by Army RET View Post
Take it back to the dealer and ask. Maybe (just maybe) they'll give you a good will oil change, either free or at half price. It doesn't hurt to ask.
I did ask and they said it had been changed. But the guy was a salesman and would tell me anything I want to hear in order to make the sale.
The oil looked dirty to me but I figured its a diesel and to be expected with this type of engine.

Maybe they did change it but at a dealership on getting a vehicle ready for sale wouldnt they reset the thing?

The truck is going back tomorrow for a list of warranty repairs. In the last 7 days Im getting codes for throttle position sensor fault, reductant pressure low, reductant leak, short with key on,

Also hubs dont lock in in auto mode and today it seems the thing doesnt have anywhere near the power it had before. I didnt see any reduced power mode indicator but its just doggy like somethings going on or wrong.

Not real happy about any of that since Ive only had the thing for about 2.5 weeks now.

Since the oil filter seems to be weeping at the oil filter gasket and thats on the list of things to fix, Im going to suggest they change the oil while they are at it.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:57 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.HRTKD has a spectacular reputation.
With that many problems, if they have a 30 day return policy I would take them up on that.

Transmission fluid change at 50k? That is awfully early. Makes me wonder if the prior owner burned the fluid.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:31 AM
donovan
Posting Guru
donovan has a great reputation on FTE.donovan has a great reputation on FTE.donovan has a great reputation on FTE.donovan has a great reputation on FTE.donovan has a great reputation on FTE.
Dealer and oil changes

I am sure they say they changed the oil.

Back in 2007 I purchased a USED 2005 6.0. This was a large Dealer and they said they changed all fluids filters including oil. So I pulled the cap off the top filter and the filter was collapsing on itself. DON"T TRUST the dealer.

Another time I had another dealer on the same truck change oil. , It sounded wrong after the oil change, so I pulled the dip stick. Not a drop of oil on the stick. I put 5 quarts of oil before the stick showed oil. That truck had more problems then all my vehicles combined. After that I stop trusting dealers and started doing my own oil changes.

So Don't trust the dealer with oil changes.

PS I did my trans fluid 52. Old stuff was fine.
You can check the shocks, Are they NEW? Look in the gap between the shock body and the cover.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:35 PM
Dakster
Post Fiend
Dakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputation
diesel oil does go black fairly quick....

Chances are int he oil filter looks news and is leaking oil then I bet the fluid was changed, but still. When they change the filter out, they will have to top at least top it off...

I have the same issue with dealers and routine service, seems like I get more problems that way. It's why I DIY.... My wife's car has free oil changes and I still seem to always have to make two trips. I get it, as the non-ASE certified, learning employee gets the oil changes since their flat rate is very low. Funny part is that you still pay diesel rates to the dealer.

Sounds like you will be able to resolve the oil change question because of another issue that came up...

Old 03-20-2017, 04:18 PM
motionmatt
Junior User
OK, So update on this. Dropped truck off this AM at the dealership for the work listed above . They went back and forth with me about the oil being changed, said they didnt reset the oil timer in the truck computer. SO they are giving me an oil change for free to be sure and to set my mind at ease.

The other issues are being resolved as well, the reductant pump and heater are being replaced and the gas pedal assy for TPS is being replaced tomorrow when the parts come in.

I forgot to ask about the reasoning behind the trans oil and coolant change, but I will when I pick up the truck tomorrow evening.

Overall, Im happy with this service so far....BUT I will be checking their work carefully.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:10 PM
Dakster
Post Fiend
Dakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputationDakster has a superb reputation
I'm sure now that they know you are on the ball it will fine.

My old companies fleet would routinely change the transmission, coolant, and rear diff fluids early... I've have heard of used car dealers (especially the big ones) doing that, just to make sure it has good fluid. Some buyers will pull dipsticks and look... If it had burnt fluid in it you probably would've passed on buying the truck. And the bigger dealers won't trust the mechanic that looks over the vehicles to make that decision, so it's just "change it"... I bet you get an answer like that.. We changed it, just because...