Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When are the front lower Valance for ?

Old 03-19-2017, 12:19 AM
Bohen
Senior User
Bohen has a good reputation on FTE.Bohen has a good reputation on FTE.Bohen has a good reputation on FTE.
When are the front lower Valance for ?

I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket bumper and fried and doing away with the factory chrome one or stainless steel what is this Valance for ?

Old 03-19-2017, 01:51 AM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
On many vehicles it is for looks, to hide the undercarriage or so my thinking goes. You can do without it it need be.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:06 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.ruschejj has a spectacular reputation.
Supposedly Ford decided on its size and shape during wind tunnel testing and way back in 2010 they claimed it was responsible for 1 mpg improvement vs. not having it there.

Few people travel consistently enough at highway speed to ever realize this, but that's the claim.

It also hides the fangs designed to keep us from just rolling over top of small cars in a collision.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:40 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
fuel economy. Not sure it really helped.

Mine was sold with my stock bumper.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:34 AM
Karl4Cat
Post Fiend
Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
As stated above, MPG increase and to hide the Prius catchers. Remove either or both if you please.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:44 AM
cangim
Postmaster
cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.
anyone have picture of the valence and fangs removed?

Old 03-19-2017, 02:58 PM
projectnitemare
Elder User
projectnitemare is starting off with a positive reputation.

only bad part of this is the flange the valance bolts to. You could trim it off but I was too lazy and built a winch bumper instead

Old 03-19-2017, 04:37 PM
cangim
Postmaster
cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.
Looks much better, I do see what you mean with the flange though...

Old 03-19-2017, 09:28 PM
JohnD333
Senior User
JohnD333 has a good reputation on FTE.JohnD333 has a good reputation on FTE.JohnD333 has a good reputation on FTE.
It is for mpg. It reduces turbulence beneath the truck. Same reason that the big rigs have them up front and along the sides. That turbulence createst drag. Started back in 2008 on Job2. 22 not so much, it's "stuff" lower than the bumper and ground clearance is much reduced, and thus the valance is half as tall. Yes it does work at highway speeds. Yes, 1 mpg is about right. I changed out my Job1 '08 and was amazed. That said, a lot of off road construction rigs lose them within a few weeks. Add taller and wider tires - you should get an even larger/lower valence to help with mpg. Probably be even better than 1 mpg improvement when on Highway.

Originally Posted by ruschejj View Post
Supposedly Ford decided on its size and shape during wind tunnel testing and way back in 2010 they claimed it was responsible for 1 mpg improvement vs. not having it there.

Few people travel consistently enough at highway speed to ever realize this, but that's the claim

Old 03-20-2017, 07:33 AM
golfmedik
Post Fiend
golfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by projectnitemare View Post

only bad part of this is the flange the valance bolts to. You could trim it off but I was too lazy and built a winch bumper instead
A friend of mine painted the flange black and it made a world of difference to the front of his. Just made it blend in instead of sticking out.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:04 AM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
robinsonpowerstroke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.robinsonpowerstroke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I do not agree that you will loose any mileage. I can get HAND CALCULATED 19 mpg without it at 75 mph all day long as long as I'm not bucking a head wind. I took mine off & cut it with an air cut off wheel just below the bumper flange so it covers up the bumper flange. I think it is about the same length as the 2WD valance.

To: