1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What is the Hot Set Up to improving head lights...

Old 04-19-2017, 05:31 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I ordered two of these from rock auto yesterday afternoon and they showed this morning... How do they do that? Any idea about how much time I should set aside to replace two headlights? Have the tools and skills just never replaced these before...

Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2017, 06:08 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 575 Likes on 372 Posts
Easy....not over an hour.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:20 PM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Projected HID's with LED Halo's, do an excellent job lighting up our dark country roads without blinding and endangering the occasional oncoming vehicle.

Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2017, 06:26 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford
Projected HID's with LED Halo's, do an excellent job lighting up our dark country roads without blinding and endangering the occasional oncoming vehicle.
Those look nice Mike. Who makes these lights?

Old 04-19-2017, 10:01 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dan V
Easy....not over an hour.
OK, I'm calling forum B.S. On the hour thing. Been at it for almost 2 hours and haven't been able to get the first clip off. Man I don't get why they won't come up? I even made a couple sheet metal pieces that I can slide down to un lock the clips while I pull up... No Wayno! Guess I had better hold off for a whole days worth of light and start early! Any hints? Please

Old 04-19-2017, 10:35 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=Metal twister;17128235]OK, I'm calling forum B.S. On the hour thing. Been at it for almost 2 hours and haven't been able to get the first clip off. Man I don't get why they won't come up? I even made a couple sheet metal pieces that I can slide down to un lock the clips while I pull up... No Wayno! Guess I had better hold off for a whole days worth of light and start early! Any hints? Please [/QUOTE

Spray them with WD 40, soak'm up real good, then yank up hard. They'll give, I promise..
Fast Forward this to 3:15 to see how to remove them with pic tool.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:05 AM
Metal twister
Senior User
Yeah... I watched this a couple of times after I saw your post and boy did I feel stupid after the first hour, the second hour I was defeated. Had to call the game due to darkness. I squirted them down with lube and will try again this weekend after my ego heals. Who engineered these things anyway?

Old 04-20-2017, 12:33 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Metal twister
Who engineered these things anyway?

Stewart

Old 04-20-2017, 02:23 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H

Stewart
LOL, this is about right. Changing the headlights in my truck was a PITA.. It is NOT easy with the darn clips. Hang in there.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:50 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
It always amazes me how they can build a seriously simple bad *** truck and get so caught on the designs of clips, electrical connectors and stupid plumbing fittings. Now the tail lights are really sweet! Couple easy bolts and they pop off. Guess the adjustment part of the headlights must have put them in a tail spin. Lol Thinking seriously about making a hook attachment for the slide hammer!

Old 04-20-2017, 08:42 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
So I tackled it again today. I couldn't believe the difference in letting the clips soak over night. First three pulled out as easy as you would suspect they should. Ah, but the fourth and final one was another story. It was the inboard one down in the pocket. I pulled on it so hard that it snapped off just under the square hole!!! no way to grab it now. So I decided to squeeze the clips in the back which went ok but except I tore my Hands all up. Worse than working around the radiator! After some thought I ran the adjuster all the way out on the broken clip adjuster and un threaded the new one all the way off, Then threaded the new light in the old threaded part stuck in the truck. Worked out just fine. man o man what an *** kicker! waiting for night fall so I can adjust em up. Thanks for the help and encouragement. No biggie, should take about an hour! LOL

Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2017, 09:53 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
So I tackled it again today. I couldn't believe the difference in letting the clips soak over night. First three pulled out as easy as you would suspect they should. Ah, but the fourth and final one was another story. It was the inboard one down in the pocket. I pulled on it so hard that it snapped off just under the square hole!!! no way to grab it now. So I decided to squeeze the clips in the back which went ok but except I tore my Hands all up. Worse than working around the radiator! After some thought I ran the adjuster all the way out on the broken clip adjuster and un threaded the new one all the way off, Then threaded the new light in the old threaded part stuck in the truck. Worked out just fine. man o man what an *** kicker! waiting for night fall so I can adjust em up. Thanks for the help and encouragement. No biggie, should take about an hour! LOL
LOL, good to see yah got it. No biggie only about 1 hr, LOL...... Well with out the fiasco of the clip's being welded in place, it should only be about 1hr job

Old 04-20-2017, 10:30 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Yep, next time around it will be an hour job. Just adjusted them up and what a difference. Well worth the effort... Hamburger hands and all. Thanks again guys!

Old 04-21-2017, 08:02 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 575 Likes on 372 Posts
Yep, next time around it will be an hour job. Just adjusted them up and what a difference. Well worth the effort... Hamburger hands and all. Thanks again guys!
Well, I had maybe 5-7 years less rust on mine when I did them then you. Glad you prevailed though. Throw this in and see the difference.

Harness Upgrade

Old 04-21-2017, 04:02 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Metal twister - which Rock Auto part did you order? Cheaper or more expensive? Was it for an '04? Thanks - Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the Hot Set Up to improving head lights...