Perma-Cool inline tranny filter, or bypass filtration system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 02:25 PM
bmonnig
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I've got to drop the pan to change the filter/fluid anyway. I picked up the stock filter and gasket yesterday. While I'm messing with all this stuff I may as well add a tranny filtration kit. My stock A4LD in the Ranger has 170k miles, so I'd like to do everything I can to keep it alive.

I've visited www.oilguard.com and checked out their bypass filtration setup. It sounds like a good deal, for both the engine *and* the transmission. A lot of reading has convinced me of the benefits of a bypass filtration setup. It looks quick and easy to install for the engine.

I'm not sure what the best installation would be for the tranny, though. I'd somehow need to tap into the pressurized output line, feed into the filter, and dump back into the pan, correct? I'm going to have the pan off anyway, so I wouldn't mind brazing in a couple of fittings for the temp sending unit and/or fluid return lines.

I'm not sure where to tap into the tranny fluid. The engine oil setup installs a T fitting at the oil pressure sending unit in the block. The filter gets oil feed here, and the pressure sending unit still functions. I guess I could install a similar T fitting at the transmission output line?

The other option would be a Perma-Cool inline tranny filter. http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page25.html This unit basically puts a regular oil filter in between the tranny and the radiator. I think installation would be easier, but the filtration wouldn't be as good.

If I can get the install figured out on the Oil Guard system, I think it would be a good investment at ~$150.

Or am I just throwing away money on a 170k original tranny anyway? It currently runs/drives/shifts fine, and I'd love to keep it that way. Your thoughts/input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brandon

Old 09-03-2003, 02:36 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

You can buy a transmission filter that is made for the job. It is installed in the cooler line:

WIX TRANSMISSION/PS FILTER #58964
200 PSI WORKING, PRESSURE RELIEVED, MAGNETIC
CHANGE YEARLY OR 12000 MILES
FORD EQUIVALENT FILTER KIT #XC3Z-7B155-AA
FILTER ALONE #XC3P-7B155-BA

Ford uses the filter as a service part.

Old 09-04-2003, 07:50 AM
chevdog
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful when brazing the (steel) pan - sometimes you can overheat the metal and cause carbon to start flaking out of it. When it cools , the carbon chips off and the metal shrinks, causing cracking. If you can TIG or MIG the pan, it seems to work better.

Just my viewpoint, but I would not spend the money on the OilGuard product - the inline filter would be fine for your application. I like to add the inline filter to one of the tranny lines that go to the radiator and/or cooler. Most auto transmission failures are due to heat, not filtration problems, so if you're going to add anything, add a cooler, especially if you go off-road or tow.

I've had very good luck with www.bulkparts.com for transmission parts and the inline filters too. Good prices, good materials, and really fast delivery.