Rescuing another Ex from the junkyard: 2002 V10 - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Reload this Page >

Rescuing another Ex from the junkyard: 2002 V10

Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rescuing another Ex from the junkyard: 2002 V10

Old 12-11-2017, 11:24 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
I just read your thread. Awesome! The truck you bought is a great color combo, and the paint seems to be in real nice shape.

The rusty areas and undersides unfortunately just look like a typical "northeast" truck. I certainly give you a lot of credit for doing the bodywork on this vehicle. I think you're doing a great job. I wish those rockers came coated with the spray-on bedliner material from the factory.

Back in the spring we picked up an Excursion. Not the most desirable one by any stretch, but one thing it has going for it is there simply isn't a speck of rust on it anywhere and the frame is spotless. All the sills are basically in perfect, rust-free condition. We got the vehicle in northern NH near the Maine border, but it very likely spent most of its life in the south. Usually, a vehicle of this age would look just like yours did underneath when you first started to repair it.

So, it is a 2003 Eddie Bauer, but its 2WD with the 5.4L engine. Has 150k on it. Runs great, bottom of engine and trans are bone dry, uses no oil, transmission is as smooth as a new vehicle. Front and rear A/C work great, in fact every option and feature works perfectly except the reverse sensors. Just changed the spark plugs. Very happy with it. Pic:

Old 12-11-2017, 12:06 PM
csnow
Senior User
csnow has a good reputation on FTE.csnow has a good reputation on FTE.
Greenscobie86 you do really nice work. Body work was never a skill I acquired over the years. I covet your skills...lol. Well done.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:32 PM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Greenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by troverman View Post
I just read your thread. Awesome! The truck you bought is a great color combo, and the paint seems to be in real nice shape.

The rusty areas and undersides unfortunately just look like a typical "northeast" truck. I certainly give you a lot of credit for doing the bodywork on this vehicle. I think you're doing a great job. I wish those rockers came coated with the spray-on bedliner material from the factory.

Back in the spring we picked up an Excursion. Not the most desirable one by any stretch, but one thing it has going for it is there simply isn't a speck of rust on it anywhere and the frame is spotless. All the sills are basically in perfect, rust-free condition. We got the vehicle in northern NH near the Maine border, but it very likely spent most of its life in the south. Usually, a vehicle of this age would look just like yours did underneath when you first started to repair it.

So, it is a 2003 Eddie Bauer, but its 2WD with the 5.4L engine. Has 150k on it. Runs great, bottom of engine and trans are bone dry, uses no oil, transmission is as smooth as a new vehicle. Front and rear A/C work great, in fact every option and feature works perfectly except the reverse sensors. Just changed the spark plugs. Very happy with it. Pic:
Thanks for the kind words! You have a really nice rig, reminds me of my previous project truck I bought and fixed up as well. Something about Oxford White EB Excursions, a soft spot in my heart for them I suppose

Originally Posted by csnow View Post
Greenscobie86 you do really nice work. Body work was never a skill I acquired over the years. I covet your skills...lol. Well done.
Thank you but I really don't think I have many skills, my buddy and I did the work together with lots of trial and error. The truck will never be as nice as a mint mint mint southern truck with no rust at all, but I like the feeling of getting to save one from becoming a parts donor or a complete beater.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:49 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Greenscobie86 View Post
Thanks for the kind words! You have a really nice rig, reminds me of my previous project truck I bought and fixed up as well. Something about Oxford White EB Excursions, a soft spot in my heart for them I suppose
Thanks man. We're contemplating putting a 2005-style grille on, and maybe the towing mirrors. I hate the style of the standard mirrors, but they are heated and have the red LED signals built in the glass.

I'm also contemplating a 4x4 conversion or at least a 2" lift to make it sit right. I think 4x4 wouldn't be that hard...just need a Dana 50, a transfer case, a front driveshaft. Probably could get the entire assembly from a similar vintage F-250. Would probably go for the manual hubs / manual floor shift for simplicity.

On the other hand, as it sits the Ex can get 16mpg on the highway full of people and the turning radius on the 2WD is remarkably good.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:01 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Sunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputation
Thanks man. We're contemplating putting a 2005-style grille on, and maybe the towing mirrors. I hate the style of the standard mirrors, but they are heated and have the red LED signals built in the glass.
For the short time I had them, I hated that red arrow, especially when waiting at red lights at night.

Once you have the tow mirrors, you'll quickly wonder how you lived without the blind spot mirror, and the amber signals and clearance lights are helpful when pulling up close to things.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:38 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
For the short time I had them, I hated that red arrow, especially when waiting at red lights at night.

Once you have the tow mirrors, you'll quickly wonder how you lived without the blind spot mirror, and the amber signals and clearance lights are helpful when pulling up close to things.
The red arrow is a throwback, for sure. Chevy has stuck with them, though.

I've had 6 Super Duty trucks with the good towing mirrors, driving a 2017 right now. Definitely can appreciate the spotter mirrors and amber clearance lamps. My 2017 actually has side LED spot lamps you can turn on from inside the cab which really light up what's next to you. Very useful feature.

The Excursion is a third vehicle and doesn't see a lot of towing. It's a very good stable tow platform, but the 5.4L with 3.73 gears isn't exactly awesome up long hills. It also does not have a trailer brake controller, although I'm thinking of adding one.

Heaviest I've pulled with it is a 2007 Ford Expedition loaded up on a 3500lb equipment hauler. I figure it was close to 10k overall...without a TBC I only went a short distance but did climb a steep hill. It was straining. Most of the time I use my diesel Super Duty.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:12 PM
Green Power
Elder User
Green Power is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just wandered upon this thread, very nice work that you are doing!

Old 12-12-2017, 03:29 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Sunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputationSunline Fan has a superb reputation
Heaviest I've pulled with it is a 2007 Ford Expedition loaded up on a 3500lb equipment hauler. I figure it was close to 10k overall...without a TBC I only went a short distance but did climb a steep hill. It was straining. Most of the time I use my diesel Super Duty.
Oh my, that's a big load, even for a V10. I can imagine the 5.4 was struggling.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:03 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
Oh my, that's a big load, even for a V10. I can imagine the 5.4 was struggling.
It definitely was, but it maintained 2nd gear longer than I thought before dropping to first. Temps all stayed in the normal range, and the hill was pretty short. The load itself felt nice and stable though. Without the trailer brake controller...it felt like the Ex had no brakes at all. I won't do that again.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:32 PM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Greenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to beholdGreenscobie86 is a splendid one to behold

I'm also contemplating a 4x4 conversion or at least a 2" lift to make it sit right. I think 4x4 wouldn't be that hard...just need a Dana 50, a transfer case, a front driveshaft. Probably could get the entire assembly from a similar vintage F-250. Would probably go for the manual hubs / manual floor shift for simplicity.

On the other hand, as it sits the Ex can get 16mpg on the highway full of people and the turning radius on the 2WD is remarkably good.
16mpg is great indeed. A 4x4 conversion shouldn't be too hard to do esp with a parts truck if you can find one. I actually like the paddle mirrors with heat/signal that are on this current truck, they may not be great for towing but are actually more useful around town compared to the extendable tow mirrors on my old '03. Of course as other posters here mentioned the newer style towing mirrors with blind spot mirrors are the bees knees.

Originally Posted by Green Power View Post
I just wandered upon this thread, very nice work that you are doing!
Many thanks for the kind words! Hoping to really make a turnaround on this truck.

More little updates:

Couldn't get my exhaust patched up today due to poopy weather, oh well.
I did replace the #24 fuse which brought my rear hatch wiper/washer/defroster/lock actuator back to life. Easy fix, must blown a fuse jump starting the truck so many times with a dead battery. More to follow. Biggest things left are tires + exhaust manifolds and cleaning at this point, and probably a 2" front shackle.

oh and my OEM bumpstops arrived, score!

Old 01-08-2018, 10:12 AM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Not much progress due to cold weather and snow in NYC, but the truck is being driven. Needs tries badly, gotta find some 285s pronto, preferably with white letters... Used ones are proving hard to come by.
Also got a line on a buddy who will help me do the exhaust manifolds at his shop after hours on a weekend, so that will save some coin.

Big thanks to Nicmike for picking up a left inner rear mudflap at the goldmine and sending it over to me. Going to mount it up once the weather gets better. Thanks for that!

Came with the hardware and everything, rust free lol!

Snow shot of the truck last week.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:19 PM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr
wildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputationwildstang has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Greenscobie86 View Post
Not much progress due to cold weather and snow in NYC, but the truck is being driven. Needs tries badly, gotta find some 285s pronto, preferably with white letters... Used ones are proving hard to come by.
Also got a line on a buddy who will help me do the exhaust manifolds at his shop after hours on a weekend, so that will save some coin.

Big thanks to Nicmike for picking up a left inner rear mudflap at the goldmine and sending it over to me. Going to mount it up once the weather gets better. Thanks for that!

Came with the hardware and everything, rust free lol!

Snow shot of the truck last week.
Is that the Austin Powers 50 point turn around to get out of that spot?

Old 01-08-2018, 01:51 PM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru

Old 01-08-2018, 03:58 PM
Vinny G-the EX man
Senior User
Vinny G-the EX man is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Scobie, looking great, have you tried Ace tire on Morningstar Rd they were able to order my 285's and I had them installed in 2 days I went with Bridgestones dueler revo 2 's great guys there
They work with all brands

Last edited by Vinny G-the EX man; 01-08-2018 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Omission
Old 01-09-2018, 03:37 PM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Vinny G-the EX man View Post
Scobie, looking great, have you tried Ace tire on Morningstar Rd they were able to order my 285's and I had them installed in 2 days I went with Bridgestones dueler revo 2 's great guys there
They work with all brands
thanks for the heads up! I'll give them a buzz. Revo's are nice, sadly I think they may be out of my budget, trying to keep the costs manageable so a Chinese brand tire or a used one may be in my future.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rescuing another Ex from the junkyard: 2002 V10

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.