6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Changing my mind - CAT EC-1

Old 03-16-2017, 05:57 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing my mind - CAT EC-1

Well,

I am going against what I have always said.............

I am going to return the 4 gallons Ford Gold Coolant to the dealership, and I have just ordered 4 gallons of of CAT EC-1 from my local Cat Dealer.

They will have the concentrate tomorrow morning for me to pick up after work.

I am only doing this so I don't have to deal with the coolant all the time, since I do put some miles on the truck.

Does anybody know if I still should use the VC-9 when flushing and doing the CAT EC-1 switch?

My delta's are already at 7*-9* at 65mph and 11*-12* at 75mph.

Think I will have higher deltas if I use that VC-9?

Thanks - Preston

Old 03-16-2017, 06:06 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you plan on back flushing the oil cooler?

When I used the VC-9 it literally was an all day project.

A lot of the things I read were if you flush it and you don't get everything out that the vc-9 broke up its a good possibility you'll end up doing an oil cooler. I would highly recommend back flushing the cooler. Not that hard to do

Old 03-16-2017, 06:08 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
VC-9 is to remove iron. Restore removes silica.
I'd just flush with lots of distilled... like 20 gallons, drain the block and flush until it runs clear.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:13 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
If you don't see any indicators that warrant the chemicals I'd just drain and flush unless you want to do an oil cooler soon.
Get this much!

Old 03-16-2017, 07:23 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,448 Likes on 1,696 Posts
VC-9 and "Restore +" scare me!

Restore (for silicate) is not too bad as Randy said.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:04 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Returning the VC-9 tomorrow, along with the Ford Gold.

No chemicals will be used.

Thanks for the call today Randy!

Old 03-16-2017, 10:10 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by WatsonR
VC-9 is to remove iron. Restore removes silica.
I'd just flush with lots of distilled... like 20 gallons, drain the block and flush until it runs clear.
What Randy said...,

Except there is an order to the VC9 and Restore. I don't remember which goes first, but you'll have a squeaky clean cooling system after.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:32 AM
Yama4fitty
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ughh...when you doing yours? I have some ELC sitting in the garage screaming at me to get into the rig. I just have not bit the bullet and taken the time to do it. Will not be doing a VC-9 or Restore Plus flush, but might do just the Restore only with a backflush of the oil cooler. Made up a neat flush device with some threaded pvc and an air nozzle. Maybe we can suffer a day together while drinking some double IPA's

Old 03-17-2017, 09:18 AM
Bumblebee04
Senior User
If it's the original oil cooler than I would definitely do restore flush + a follow-up oil cooler backflush. Your deltas are okay but not beautiful. There is some partial blockage. Might be able to decrease delta a few. If the system has never been neglected with tap water then rust shouldn't be a problem, however, if you flush it and see chunks of rust than most likely tap water was used in it before. I would only use VC9 or restore+ if you plan to change the oil cooler.

Doing a chem flush with oil cooler backflush is a very time consuming and repetitive job. Plan 8-12 hours.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:41 AM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Yama4fitty
Ughh...when you doing yours? I have some ELC sitting in the garage screaming at me to get into the rig. I just have not bit the bullet and taken the time to do it. Will not be doing a VC-9 or Restore Plus flush, but might do just the Restore only with a backflush of the oil cooler. Made up a neat flush device with some threaded pvc and an air nozzle. Maybe we can suffer a day together while drinking some double IPA's
Haha!

I am doing mine tomorrow morning.

Kristi ain't gonna be liking me drinking at 6am , plus our neighbor is our Pastor, and she doesn't like drinking in front of him she always hides her beer or drink when he comes over and wants me to do the same.

Women

But I can do some morning hot sludge coffee.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:46 AM
Yama4fitty
Elder User
Originally Posted by silverbullet6oh
Haha!

I am doing mine tomorrow morning.

Kristi ain't gonna be liking me drinking at 6am , plus our neighbor is our Pastor, and she doesn't like drinking in front of him she always hides her beer or drink when he comes over and wants me to do the same.

Women

But I can do some morning hot sludge coffee.
Good luck to you. I don't think I will be doing it tomorrow and I know it wouldn't get done with the DIPA's

BTW...Jesus turned water into wine and is a beer drinker

Old 03-17-2017, 10:13 AM
Idahoser
Tuned
this is not really a mysterious topic. These things are not really disputed by people who know:
Ford Gold is not able to take these temps and is the biggest reason Ford had such awful time with this engine. EC-1 is good for this engine.
You must flush Ford Gold with chemicals before switching to EC-1, or you will cause your own problems with the interaction.
The chemical flush is not optional but does have the potential to reveal problems right away (not "cause" them) by breaking loose chunks that quickly increase the oil cooler clogs.
Restore and VC9 are the same thing.
Restore Plus is necessary to neutralize the active ingredients in Restore.
(I'm going by memory which sucks so I might be mixing up Restore and Restore Plus, but the total picture is true either way)
Count on replacing the oil cooler soon after or replacing it with the BulletProof one. Backflushing the oil cooler is probably not going to permanently solve your problem.

Old 03-17-2017, 12:18 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 407 Likes on 269 Posts
And the group of folks seated in the folding chairs facing Preston at the podium say: Welcome Preston!

Old 03-17-2017, 12:30 PM
Euroman
Senior User
Received 291 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Idahoser
this is not really a mysterious topic. These things are not really disputed by people who know:
Ford Gold is not able to take these temps and is the biggest reason Ford had such awful time with this engine. EC-1 is good for this engine.
You must flush Ford Gold with chemicals before switching to EC-1, or you will cause your own problems with the interaction.
The chemical flush is not optional but does have the potential to reveal problems right away (not "cause" them) by breaking loose chunks that quickly increase the oil cooler clogs.
Restore and VC9 are the same thing.
Restore Plus is necessary to neutralize the active ingredients in Restore.
(I'm going by memory which sucks so I might be mixing up Restore and Restore Plus, but the total picture is true either way)
Count on replacing the oil cooler soon after or replacing it with the BulletProof one. Backflushing the oil cooler is probably not going to permanently solve your problem.
From experience backflushing will indeed not permanently solve the problem, but it does make it better for a while. After the second clean and backflush I put in a filter, and plan on doing it a third time soon - anything rather than spending a weekend on a cooler change (which I already have).

Old 03-17-2017, 12:53 PM
Yama4fitty
Elder User
In case you're interested in doing the backflush:

Cost about $18 to make.
- Air nozzle (from Vatozone, rest from hardware store)
- 1/4" x 1/2" brass reducer
- 1/2" PVC Tee
- 1/2" pipe to 3/4" female hose adaptor
- 3/4" hose shut-off
- 1/2" male thread to 1/2" plastic barb fitting
- 3' of 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD tubing
- 3/4" hose clamp

Greg (Bumblebee04) gave me some info and parts ideas to use. I just reused my old blue silicone hose to connect to the outlet tube to reverse flush when my oil cooler was out when doing the HPOP. But, you can yank that little cover and stick the hose into the hole with a slight bit of chamfering of the hose OD. Will need to hold the hose in there tight otherwise it'll blast back at you when you put some air pressure to it.

You can get a new gasket at the Ford dealer (3C3Z-9N693-EA) for pretty cheap. Pretty sure that is the right part number.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing my mind - CAT EC-1