Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

needs some ideas from yall

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 01:14 AM
TAMU05
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, i have a 98 f150, ext cab, 4.6L 2wd. i added a fabtech 3.5 inch performance lift, to level it out, dual exhaust, and random acc. for looks. i am not sure if i want to lift it more, or leave it where it is and add some 33x11.50's on wheels simialr to the micket T's classic 2's. i have been reading in all the forums to see what other people do, but i still havn't seen anybody with the same set up as me. i don't do to much offroading, just regular home, work and school driving, eveyonce in awhile to the deer lease and some fun on the beach, but i like to have the clearence. take i look at my gallery and if you can give me some ideas on what else to add or upgrade. i still think there is more to do to it but i need some advise.
thanks

Old 09-03-2003, 03:03 PM
skyhighlifts
New User

Sorry about that this computer is being strange. Anyways I think you should with no doubt lift it we need more lifted vehicles in the world. I would after get like a 3 inch lift from Fabtech which cost 659.99 go and put the performance parts on. I would go with a hypertech programmer, a throttle body spacer, headers, air intake, power chip, and possibly nos or a supercharger.

Last edited by Rosati; 10-12-2003 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:43 PM
TAMU05
Senior User

yeah nos would be nice i am looking at adding the 3.5 in spindle lift to go along with my performance lift, the first 3.5 inches was nice but i want it bigger now. only thing that i don't like is running my stock tires right now. i would put on some 33's but then i would prolly want to lift it more . how much of a difference would a throttle body spacer make? what chip would you prefer?:

Old 09-03-2003, 09:28 PM
BroncoHunter1972
New User

I dunno.... not much beats a stock truck or at least close to stock, i do agree some 33's would be a nice addition to the truck. Even minor performance upgrades would be cool. Make it yours is how i always think of it. Good luck with what ever you choose and keep the pictures updated.

Old 09-03-2003, 10:31 PM
skyhighlifts
New User

A throttle body spacer I believe gives u like 8 to 20 more horsepower and it is suppost to give u like 10% better gas mileage. I would go with hypertech, but even easier would be to get the hypertech programmer, it takes less time and is easy any body can do it.

Old 09-05-2003, 08:14 PM
retired2001
Elder User

Nice looking truck! I wouldn't "lift it" anymore until you get larger tires. As for "mods", with the lift and "maybe 33's" your mpg is going to suffer. I don't know what gears you're running, but I just incresed tire size from 255R70X16 to 265R70X16 w/3.55 gears & 5.4 engine and I can tell the differance. Just going up about 1" in diameter, made a noticable change. Who would have figured?

Old 09-22-2003, 05:30 PM
TAMU05
Senior User

now i am stuck. i want to keep my truck, put some bigger tires on it and some wheels. but i just founf a 2002 f150 supercrew, lariat fx4, white with tan leather interior with only 32,000 miles. i am thinking about going for that. but i am not sure what i should do. i really want a 4x4 for those times when i need it.

Old 09-22-2003, 05:48 PM
88B_RONC
Senior User

sounds like a nice truck but I'd rather have a pickup with a bigger bed than the ones they put on the supercrews.
Also if your worried about gettin stuck just put a locker in the truck you have now like a ARB or OX or some other selectable one and it will get you outa almost all the same jams that a stock 4x4 with open diffs will.
Just my $.02

Old 09-26-2003, 12:07 PM
TAMU05
Senior User
well it is too late now they sold that truck the other night. so i might just stick with mine for awhile, and you are right, the bigger bed is nice, when we pack up to go hunting for a weekend my bed is completly full and the back cab too. about an hour ago i got in my truck to try go to the store and it took 5 times to start it. it would start for a sec then die. sounded like i was out of gas but i have 1/4 tank. hopefully it won't do it again. how much would a locker cost? easy install?

Old 09-29-2003, 12:44 PM
88B_RONC
Senior User
Could that be a bad or clogged fuel filter?? Its probably the cheapest and easiest thing to try to fix that.

As far as the lockers...The one I've got in my bronco was pretty cheap and easy to install but its not a selectable one which is probably the way to go if you do most of your driving on road with only occasional off-roading. For selectable lockers your three main choices all use a different selection method
Detroit Electrac - electric
OX - cable activated
ARB - air compressor
For any of these your probably looking at at least ~$600-800 installed. These I would probably have someone else install as I wouldn't trust myself to set up the gears cause there is alot involved and the gear back lash has to be set up perfect or it'll destroy the gears and probably the locker to.
There are cheaper lockers that you can probably install yourself without having to mess with the gear backlash but these are "automatic" lockers that are supposed to unlock when you are off the throtle and going around a turn but I've heard these types of lockers do not do well in rear axles and will wear out pretty fast. I have this type, but mine is in the front so I can just unlock the hubs when I don't want the front end locked.

If it were me and it was for the rear I would really look into the selectable lockers and stay away from the automatic ones.
Also I guess it depends on what axle you have in the rear -
You shouldn't have any problem finding a selectable locker for the 8.8in but if you've got the 9.75in you might have a harder time because the aftermarket is still trying to catch up on these axles. But then again, one good thing about the 9.75in is the bigger and stronger axles so you might be able to run a full time locker like a detroit...which will be a little cheaper than the selectable and you won't have to worry about leaking air hoses, broken cables or any other problems with the selectable mechanism, BUT it will be engaged all the time sometimes resulting in tire chirping and driveline stress when turning. But this depends alot on wheel base and axle size. I think this type of locker works better with long wheel base trucks like yours than in shorter wheel base trucks like broncos but again I'm not positive.
OK I'll stop rambling now

Old 09-29-2003, 03:11 PM
TAMU05
Senior User
I am gonna start lookin into the locker as soon as i get all my bills paid this next week. i had my oil changed about 3 weeks ago and they also replaced my fuel filter. so i checked today to make sure it was new and it was. so i don't think that is the problem. i posted a topic in the a/c section from when my fan speed control stopped working in the first 3 positions, and when i turn the a/c on my RPM's would drop down to about 400-500 and then back up to normal. i still havn't figured that one out yet. i am going to replace to fan control but i still havn't to figure out the RPM drop. maybe that problem and the hard start problem are the same hopefully but it hasn't had a hard time starting since then. So much to do and sooooo little time.

Old 10-12-2003, 04:25 AM
Doorgunner808
Senior User
If you are gonna put in a locker and add 33's to your truck I would strongly suggest changeing your gears too. From the looks of it you really don't need a 4x4 but adding a limited slip or locker to the rear end and putting in the right gears, you won't shuoldn't have any problems going where you want to go. Another thing that the correct gears will do for you is keep everything in the drivetrain closer to stock perameters and not put such a strain on your engine. This is a link to a chart to help you decide what gears you want to put in your truck. I would suggest 4.11's or 4.56's as these are very common gear sets.

http://www.tennessee4x4.com/trailrun...atio-guide.htm

Gig'Em!!

DG808

Old 10-19-2003, 10:51 PM
matt1morton
Junior User
I'd do a fiberglass bed topper and then get some BFG all terrains on it. If you are going to lift a 2wd I would look into something like prerunner bumpers for the front and rear. Look up a company called Fabtech and see what they have for your truck. Getting some shocks with the seperate resevoir would be really cool and would be funtional but that cost a decent amount of money.

Old 10-20-2003, 12:34 PM
TAMU05
Senior User
thought about getting a fabtech hood, but i am not sure yet, i want a scoop but fabtech doesn't have them. i have my tires now. 285-75-16 bfg t/a ko's. i already have the fabtech lift on it, so i am done with all the suspension and tires stuff. a bed topper would be nice but i would end up taking it off alot so i can get things i there that go up to high. its always full to the top when i go to the huntin lease. so i am looking for interior or engine mods now.

Old 10-26-2003, 10:57 PM
02superstroker
Posting Guru
buy that new one you found! fx4 kicks ***!... hey it's only money

Quick Reply: needs some ideas from yall