Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

anyone know where i can buy these tow hook mounted hitch receivers?

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Old 03-13-2017, 08:42 PM
ufvj217
Postmaster
ufvj217 is a splendid one to beholdufvj217 is a splendid one to beholdufvj217 is a splendid one to beholdufvj217 is a splendid one to beholdufvj217 is a splendid one to beholdufvj217 is a splendid one to beholdufvj217 is a splendid one to beholdufvj217 is a splendid one to behold

apparently a company named "Bodiak" makes them, although i'm sure others do too, as well as they can pretty easily be made custom. before wasting time making them, i'm trying to see if there's any for sale still, but i'm having trouble finding them. from what i hear, Bodiak is no longer in business, can anyone confirm?

if they are out of business, anyone know if anyone else makes these? i'm going to use them to mount big D ring tow hooks on each one since these will replace the factory tow hooks, and leave those on most of the time, but will remove them when i want to use it for other things, such as a slide in little step for when working under the hood, etc. i also want to make a push bar, sometimes i push stuff and i don't want to damage my bumper. i don't do that too often, but it would be nice to have that when i do. just a few days ago i was moving a beater van my buddy is cleaning up to sell, and the front tires are flat, and the way it was positioned, it would have been WAY easier to push it rather than pull it, reposition, pull, reposition, etc. so things like that is what i'm gonna use these for.

hoping someone can find a pair online, maybe i'm using the wrong search terms or something.

thanks!

Old 03-13-2017, 11:02 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Pocketlint has a good reputation on FTE.Pocketlint has a good reputation on FTE.
Never seen something that attaches to that point, but it is a clever idea that's for sure.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:53 AM
cyncwby
Elder User
cyncwby has a very good reputation on FTE.cyncwby has a very good reputation on FTE.cyncwby has a very good reputation on FTE.
R&P Carriages makes them for Dodges, don't kinow about Fords....(815)357-3292. $100 a pair, a lot cheaper to build them yourself.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:19 PM
thomabb
Posting Guru
thomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to behold
Find a local welding shop. Those are easy to make (if you can weld).

Old 03-14-2017, 05:52 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Jaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to beholdJaime74656 is a splendid one to behold
Go to your local AutoZone and pick one up, they are stocking the hitch mounted recovery hooks now

Old 03-14-2017, 06:57 PM
Pastor Scott
Senior User
Pastor Scott is starting off with a positive reputation.
Harbor Freight ..I have one on mine..like 12 bucks

Old 03-17-2017, 03:09 AM
ufvj217
Postmaster
ufvj217 is a splendid one to beholdufvj217 is a splendid one to beholdufvj217 is a splendid one to beholdufvj217 is a splendid one to beholdufvj217 is a splendid one to beholdufvj217 is a splendid one to beholdufvj217 is a splendid one to beholdufvj217 is a splendid one to behold
really, autozone and HF sell these that bolt specifically to our tow hook bolt holes?

got a link to the HF one by any chance Pastor Scott? thanks!!

Old 03-17-2017, 07:14 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ufvj217 View Post
really, autozone and HF sell these that bolt specifically to our tow hook bolt holes?

HF and AZ sell a tow ring that mounts in a reciver hitch......you are asking about reciver hitches that mount in place of a tow ring.

I am curious , aside from a custom application...what would be the use for a reciver hitch that mounts in place of a tow ring....adding two of these wold provide 3 hitches if you also had the standard front mounted hitch.

Old 03-17-2017, 08:03 AM
thomabb
Posting Guru
thomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to behold
Removable bull bar comes to mind. A place to mount a tow bar to flat tow the truck. Steps to reach the motor. A seat to pull your studded wading boots off at the end of a fishing trip. I can think of a few reasons...

Old 03-17-2017, 09:39 PM
Pastor Scott
Senior User
Pastor Scott is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry - I thought you meant something else

I thought you meant a hook that goes into the receiver

Originally Posted by ufvj217 View Post

Old 03-18-2017, 12:54 AM
ufvj217
Postmaster
Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
HF and AZ sell a tow ring that mounts in a reciver hitch......you are asking about reciver hitches that mount in place of a tow ring.

I am curious , aside from a custom application...what would be the use for a reciver hitch that mounts in place of a tow ring....adding two of these wold provide 3 hitches if you also had the standard front mounted hitch.
i do have a front hitch in the center too LOL. i don't use it incredibly often, but i have 3 trailers in my backyard, sometimes more if my buddy parks his 1 or 2 there temporarily, and sometimes i need to shuffle them around, and depending where they are positioned, and how my truck is positioned (if i don't feel like turning the truck around lol) i use the front hitch to move it around pretty quickly. i usually leave the ball in my front hitch, helps to keep people in parking lots from hitting my front bumper also lol.

also i have one of those cargo carriers that goes into a hitch receiver, sometimes i put that on the front if i'm carrying something and maybe the bed is full etc.

i do want to make or buy (probably make) an extendable arm thing that i can put in the hitch if i'm carrying long pieces of pipe or wood, that way it can lean on my headache rack in the back, and the arm extends all the way up to the height of the roof, and provides a place for the pipe/wood to rest on securely, rather than trying to strap it down to the hood latch or tow hooks or whatever and it flap all around while driving.

all kinds of things you can use them for, pretty cool IMO.

the 2 in place of the tow hooks however, i posted in my first post on what i'd use them for.

Originally Posted by thomabb View Post
Removable bull bar comes to mind. A place to mount a tow bar to flat tow the truck. Steps to reach the motor. A seat to pull your studded wading boots off at the end of a fishing trip. I can think of a few reasons...
ah you just gave me an idea. removable bull bar, better idea than me making a little push bar that i mentioned in my first post, for times that i may want to push something and don't want to damage my front bumper. didn't know they had removable bull bars! got any pics of one by any chance?

i also want to have a step for when working on the motor.

i kind of like the idea of the tow bar as well. although i don't think my dually would ever be the tow-ee, she is the tow-er, haha. plus, only other truck i personally own that would tow my CCLB dually would be my excursion lol.

Originally Posted by Pastor Scott View Post
I thought you meant a hook that goes into the receiver
gotcha.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:08 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
The receiver system in the first picture would not work in a tow hook position. The tow hook mounting bolt holes are very close together and the overall area is small.

what this would look like is more of a receiver tube with holes drilled on one end as bolt thru holes and bolt mounts and on the other end the horizontal pin hole.

there would be a lot of fabrication for most of the reasons I'm reading to do this and the weld labor host would be pretty high.

i do have a front tow hitch and do use it to back trailers in. For very heavy trailers I wrap the tow hitch with a thick chain and Clovis connect each end of the chain to my tow hooks. In this way my tow hooks take on some of the weight.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:56 PM
ufvj217
Postmaster
Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
The receiver system in the first picture would not work in a tow hook position. The tow hook mounting bolt holes are very close together and the overall area is small.

what this would look like is more of a receiver tube with holes drilled on one end as bolt thru holes and bolt mounts and on the other end the horizontal pin hole.

there would be a lot of fabrication for most of the reasons I'm reading to do this and the weld labor host would be pretty high.

i do have a front tow hitch and do use it to back trailers in. For very heavy trailers I wrap the tow hitch with a thick chain and Clovis connect each end of the chain to my tow hooks. In this way my tow hooks take on some of the weight.
wow i didn't even notice i worded my thread wrong until you caught it. i didn't mean tow hooks, i meant in place of the bolts that hold the bumper to the frame horns, same place my front hitch bolts too (i'd need longer bolts if i get these in addition to my current center front hitch).

next time you have that chain setup on your truck, could you take a pic and post it? that's actually a good idea, one of my trailers is very heavy, i would feel safer (not that i'm driving with it on the front hitch, but so it doesn't bend it or anything)

Old 03-18-2017, 02:52 PM
JackOHearts
Freshman User
JackOHearts is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So

Does anyone have an answer to the original question ?
If I missed it sorry.

Old 04-30-2019, 07:46 AM
'Sonny Renegar'
New User
'Sonny Renegar' is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine bolt directly to the tow Hooks, you do not have to remove them. I would love to find a couple more of these is anyone has them for sale please message me.

Here is mine mounted on my 99 F350

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anyone know where i can buy these tow hook mounted hitch receivers?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.