1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

87 F250 swapped with 96 Powerstroke issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 09:10 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelhead4
yeah totally, im gonna check around here but if you wanna send me a pic of the condition of it and how much that would be awesome!
I will ask him for a picture and price and post it when he sends it to me.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:10 PM
Shovelhead4
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much for the gauge cluster if you have one?

Old 03-14-2017, 09:11 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
I have a lot of parts as well, and am about to get rid of the parts truck probably. Let me know if you want anything.
Did it have grey power door panels? If so I may be interested in them if you would ship. Only other thing I need is intercooler pipes and the spider but I'm sure if you had those they went quick.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:12 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Prices have to be talked outside of the open forum. You could look me up on bookface and message me.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:13 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by B-Rad88
Did it have grey power door panels? If so I may be interested in them if you would ship. Only other thing I need is intercooler pipes and the spider but I'm sure if you had those they went quick.
Nope. it was tan and no intercooler. Sorry man.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:22 PM
Shovelhead4
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
Prices have to be talked outside of the open forum. You could look me up on bookface and message me.

dammit i don't have one haha

Old 03-14-2017, 09:39 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Keep posting and you can message me. I think it is 20 posts or something before you can private message.

OR

You could go to my listing on the classified section. Go to the sticky that says links to posts in classifieds and look for my listing.

It will probably be one page back. It has been a while.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:40 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
That's NOT an OBS cluster of any kind. It's a bricknose ('87-'91) IDI cluster. It has a mechanical speedometer. It shouldn't look anything like your '94 (your '94 should have the "UNLEADED GASOLINE ONLY" designation on the tach). The tach in that IDI cluster can only work from an IDI tach sensor. Was the truck originally an IDI? VIN should provide a clue.

You must have the original transfer case in the truck. Even going back to your second pic in post #9, you can see a speedometer cable, which no powerstroke truck would ever have. Good thing it's a ZF5, because you have no PSOM, and therefore this truck would not be capable of shifting an E4OD.

Tach option - decommission the existing tach, and get an Aeroforce Interceptor to dedicate (in part) to RPM, or perhaps an otherwise-obsolete Android phone, an ELM327 dongle and the Torque Pro app.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:46 PM
Shovelhead4
Freshman User

Here's the vin!

I'm pretty sure your right about it being an IDI in its past life!

Old 03-16-2017, 08:34 PM
Shovelhead4
Freshman User
so i talked to a buddy who has a friend that has a 96 powerstroke that he's parting out. his buddy who is a supposed know it all about ford, said that i would also need to swap the dash out of a 96 to make the cluster fit? they look the same to me so i dont see why i would have to go thru that headache?

Old 03-16-2017, 08:43 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Look at your '94, and look at the '87. They're not even close. And beyond the physical differences, the '92-up clusters have an electronic speedometer that needs to be fed by a speed sensor that the '87 truck doesn't have.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:05 PM
B-Rad88
Tuned
Originally Posted by Shovelhead4
so i talked to a buddy who has a friend that has a 96 powerstroke that he's parting out. his buddy who is a supposed know it all about ford, said that i would also need to swap the dash out of a 96 to make the cluster fit? they look the same to me so i dont see why i would have to go thru that headache?
Most likely that is correct. However you should be able to use a dash from gas or diesel trucks. If he's parting it out, see if you can get the dash and gauge cluster. I haven't heard back from the guy I was receding to earlier this week yet. I'm interested in the cluster as well because I want to experiment with one amd figure out how to strip that green crap off so it can be clear, so I can out any color lights in that I want.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:15 PM
coreylasalle
Elder User

The engine harness and engine bay harness must be PSD so the pcm and IDM plug in. But I saw that pic of the round plug. The harness must be pretty spliced up? I would get the psd dash , cluster, the engine bay harness etc. And replace any spliced and cut harness so it all plugs into each other and everything works from engine through the steering column and cluster. I much rather splice some wires for lights and the chassis harness than the engine/dash harness. Swaps like this and figuring out other peoples work can be a challenge.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:15 PM
Shovelhead4
Freshman User
when i say they look the same Im talking about mounting points and gauges being in the same locations with the same connectors. so yeah, they seem similar. i know one has a cable and the other does not. but if it wont mount to my dash then maybe i will look at getting the dash from the guy also.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:19 PM
Shovelhead4
Freshman User
not really sliced at all actually! im thinking someone must've mapped it out at one point. because theirs hardly any splicing in the engine bay, and it all leads to that connector . i only have probably 3-5 wires in the dash, that splice into the OBD II connector

Quick Reply: 87 F250 swapped with 96 Powerstroke issues