1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big "clunk" in tranny/front end - no mo drivin...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:06 PM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
If the axle is not turning with the wheel you do not need to pull anything else to be in 2WD. The needle bearing is in the wheel bearing/hub assembly outboard of the steering knuckle u-joint. The stub shaft is the short OUTER shat that runs through the wheel bearing.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:19 AM
jpilk99
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jetjockey99
If the axle is not turning with the wheel you do not need to pull anything else to be in 2WD. The needle bearing is in the wheel bearing/hub assembly outboard of the steering knuckle u-joint. The stub shaft is the short OUTER shat that runs through the wheel bearing.
Thank you!!! Just weird then, that I confirmed the axle - on both sides - is not turning with the wheel/hub. Yet, as I drive down the road, about 25-30mph, I hear something rubbing. 99% sure it is not a brake rotor. I will say that I still have some remnants of one of the manual locking hubs stuck in the hub, but, i know for sure it's not grabbing the axle.

Wonder what's rubbing.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:07 PM
jpilk99
Senior User
Update:

I've been able to get both of the front axles out; what a job the passenger side was. Had to drill and drill and drill through the scuttled manual-locking-hub to get all the chunks/pieces out, and finally get at the c-clip etc. Had to chizzle out the ...metal retaining ring that was keeping me from pulling the axle out, but, finally got it. Yanked the shaft out.

I've put both wheel hub bearings back on and am driving around, granted in 2-wheel, but, at least I'm driving.

Question: Do I need to do anything, greasing or whatever, to the wheel hubs to help them roll along healthily?

I certainly have some working coming up to either swap out the entire axle carrier (hub to hub) or have my current setup rebuilt... I will try and jamb a ball or something into the open axle holes into the carrier/housing so that water etc. doesn't get in until I can afford to finish the job "right". Any thoughts are appreciated.

Jay

Old 04-09-2017, 08:17 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
having the hole in the bearing front and back open will get the needle bearing dirty. Diving should be fine.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:55 AM
jpilk99
Senior User
Originally Posted by 99f350sd
having the hole in the bearing front and back open will get the needle bearing dirty. Diving should be fine.
Thanks 99. I'm not 100% sure I would know a "needle bearing" if it walked up and slapped me in the face, but, I'm assuming it's the bearing, maybe 4" in outside diameter that sits/sat inside the wheel hub ...holding the stub shaft in place?

Well, thems is gone now, with the axle shafts I pulled out. Manual locking hubs are out - one came easy, the other one I had to drill and break apart. Only thing left of the "4 wheel drive" in that whole front axle carrier assembly is whatever is left of the Ring & Pinion gear. So:
  • I think I'm okay to drive around in 2 wheel drive. I did about 10 miles yesterday and no longer heard any rubbing.
  • With the manual locking hubs gone, and the axle shafts/stub shafts (I hope I'm terming thing correctly here), and therefore the needle bearings, dust shields etc., everything is "wide open" to any rain, sand, whatever. BUT, where everything needs to be replaced, I'm wondering how bad it is to have everything open like this --- or should I try and cover up the opening (axle carrier, wheel bearing, etc.) and preserve it for when I can afford to get it rebuilt?? (I'm leaning away from buying a parts front axle carrier assembly, hub to hub, as I will likely have no idea how good all the components are to that one --- and where it ain't the easiest of jobs, and likely an acquisition cost of $300 or so (that's what I'm seeing at junkyards and Craigslist in Massachusetts)... I'm thinking that new parts is the way to go; when I can afford.
  • Wondering if the axle shafts are still usable. Any decent way to tell? I see no horrible wear and the u-joints don't seem to have much play in em.
  • Last question: How difficult is it to reinstall/rebuild this setup? Do I need a press to get bearings into place? I've never done one before. If I can simply slide things back into place, line em up with the ring gear, etc. and get
new manual locking hubs... I should be good to go, no?

Thanks as always for everyone's help. I can post some pics of the stuff I pulled out and what's sitting there now if it helps.

Jay