6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Low mile 2011 6.7 F-350 CEL on test drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 06:03 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 896 Likes on 325 Posts
Ok, it seems like you are set on buying this truck. One thing you have to understand is that a TSB is not a recall, and Ford is under no obligation to do the work in it proactively. TSB are simply a communication to their mechanics to alert them of common problems. The TSB you show is not the one we are referring to.

This is the one that I had reposted some time back:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16662660

While is discusses damaged glow-plugs, that was the the method that Ford chose to have their mechanics diagnose the problem without pulling the heads to examine. So, what we are all telling you is to see if the truck already has had the repair for this TSB, and if so, you are good to go, if not, and you can get the selling "Toyota" dealer to sublet the work out to Ford to do the repair and pay for it, then you are good to go, otherwise you are rolling the dice. If you do decide to buy, don't come back here badmouthing how bad Ford is, and what a piece of junk they produce.

There have been no less than 4 reports on this forum alone in the last 12 months of guys in your similar position that bought an '11, had the engine blow. Each and every one of them was out of the factory powertrain warranty. Unfortunate for them, they were not aware of the problem before they bought. You my friend, are now aware of it.

Sorry, if I am coming across harsh, I just hate to see people part with their hard earned coin, only to be left holding the bag later for a $10K repair bill.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:57 AM
defekticon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fair enough, I get where you're coming from. I'm fully informed and did my research here. I already said I would only buy if the TSB was already completed (via OASIS report) or the toyota dealer was willing to pay ford dealer next door to have the valves replaced.

On a related note, If someone went to a Ford dealer and said, here do this TSB, and take my money. Would they turn away work like that? Business is business. 2000 to get a truck like this sold is a drop in the hat for a massive network volume dealer to eat. They've got to understand that if I walk away from it, why would anyone else buy it with a CEL on. Would they really just send the truck back to auction?

Old 03-14-2017, 07:01 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
They would most like agree with you and do the work. It is all about the money.

Don't get us wrong on this, the 6.7 is a good motor. Like all new rollouts, the first bunch had a different valve design and it didn't work. ( well for some).

They also tried ceramic bearings in the turbo's and that proved not so good.

That has really been about it for the big issues and even then it was not near the disaster that previous motors (think 6.0) have had.

Several out there now well over 200K and going strong.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:32 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
TSB

I would also have ford look at the bottom fuel filter to see if metal fakes are present. This would indicate problems with the fuel system. This happens when someone puts the wrong liquid in the fuel. This is also a 10 to 12 k repair. This applies to all manufactures of current diesel engines not just to ford.