2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP 2004 FX4 Intermittent stuck in park????

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 10:00 PM
Capt No Slack
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP 2004 FX4 Intermittent stuck in park????

Hello,

I have a 2004 ford FX4 (f150) automatic transmission with floor shifter between front bucket seats

Few weeks ago my truck started intermittently being stuck in park. I did some research on the internet and I decided to replaced the

"Ford F-150 Automatic Transmission Shift Actuator OEM 7L3Z7E096A"

the "Shift Actuator" is the part that has the White Button which when depressed allows you to shift out of park when the truck gets stuck in part.

When I installed this part which was new from a ford dealership. Initially it did not work, I was confused defeated and pissed. So I just kept messing with it and the shift actuator started working!

So......I just assumed that this part/actuator had been sitting so long that it was seized. So I was happy the part started working, every time I would put my foot on the brake it would release and allow me to shift out of part!!!

It felt great fixing my truck myself and saving lots of money.

The truck worked perfectly for two weeks step on brake and could shif out of part everytime it was fixed.

HOWEVER......NOW it is right back to intermittently sticking in PARK!!!!

Sometimes I can keep pressing the brake peddle and get it to release and sometimes I cant and have to pull up the cup holder and depress the White Release button on the Actuator!

Also additional Info: My Cruise control set is also working intermittently, sometimes I can set my cruise and some times I cant!

I personally think these two problems are connected or related to each other and

Im frustrated

What should I do next????

Ive noticed there are two switches/sensors on the brake pedals metal shaft
one for the brake lights and one for the cruize I think?
should I change these out next.....

any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Old 03-12-2017, 08:27 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
The usual suspects would be the BPP switch and the wiring immediately adjacent to the connector (it breaks inside the insulation causing an intermittent connection). The speed control is affected by the same fault since the PCM is also looking at the same signal as does the shift lock to see what the position of the brake pedal is. Fix the underlying problem and you will probably fix BOTH symptoms.

If you want to guess, try a new BPP switch. If that doesn't resolve it or you want to actually troubleshoot it, you'll need to get in there with a meter and see what's actually going on.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:25 PM
Capt No Slack
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the quick response

the brake pedal pressure switch appears to be easy to change and it is not that expensive.

I will change this.

if this doesn't fix my problems your are saying that the wiring in the wiring harness that pugs into the connector could have broken wires inside the insulation.

If this is the case with the broken wires inside the insulation how would I go about finding out which wire is broken??

I have a basic volt meter I guess simply touch the connector pings inside the wiring clip/connector and make sure Ive got a good ground and see if they all read 12 volts that is just a total guess. advice on trouble shooting for broken wire would be greatly appreciated!

My brake lights work 100% of the time! There is nothing intermittent about my brake/tail lights so which ever color wire feeds that circuit I assume is ok and not the broken one.

Anyway I look forward to responses helping figure this out

I do not have a shop manual.

lets say it is a broken wire do I simply repair the wire or do I need to replace the entire wiring harness???

thanks again for the help