1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New 1954 F100 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 06:23 PM
jakevidrine
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
New 1954 F100 Build

I traded a gun for a 1954 F100 last November and I have been cursing my way through rust repair ever since. The good news is it looks like the rust repair will end this weekend and I can finally start putting the truck back together...

I'm in the process of putting new floor pans in but while I'm waiting on a replacement rocker panel I decided to start swapping out the existing front "suspension" to the CV IFS. Hopefully I get that buttoned up this weekend, after that I will put the cab back in place and replace the rear end with an 8.8 from a 1997 explorer with a 3.73 gear set and locker.

The plans for this truck are to put in a reliable engine that makes decent power, power steering and brakes, I'm dropping it without airbags. I basically want to build a reliable daily driver that will turn heads...

I'm planning on putting a 302 in the truck and mating it to a 1999 WC T5, the only problem is this is by first build with a manual trans and I have no idea how to do it. I've been looking for a brake booster/hydraulic clutch pedal combo with limited success, the problem is everything is $500+ just for the pedal assemblies. I was hoping to get some insight on how everyone is doing this, I stripped all of the existing pedals and linkages when I started tearing down the truck. I figured I didn't want floor mount pedals anymore either..

Here's a few pics of my progress so far:

Attached Images          
Old 03-09-2017, 06:29 PM
jakevidrine
Mountain Pass
Just a list of the rust damage:
Both rear corners were replaced, inner and outer
Both front cab corners were replaced
Both lower a-pillar (door columns) were replaced
Both lower b-pillar (rear of door columns) were replaced
Both rocker panels were replaced (waiting on driver side currently... backordered)
Entire floor pan has been replaced
Both doors had inner and outer skins replaced
Battery box has been replaced
I trashed the bed and I plan on replacing it with a Dan Carpenter bed
Both running boards are going to be replaced

Obviously I am working in my garage so I have limited storage... Most of the parts are either in the attic or in the guest room... My wife is not pleased.

This is my second restoration, I did a 1969 Torino Cobra about 3 years ago. I learned a lot of what not to do on that car and I am trying to apply those lessons here.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:41 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Welcome to FTE, the best Ford Truck Forum on the world wide Web. Thanks for the pictures.

I was amazed at how bad your floorboard and rocker panels were and how your front fenders and Hood and grille, etc are not too bad..... I wonder why?

Good luck on your build and keep us informed of your progress with lots of pictures.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:59 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Welcome! Looks like the truck is coming along.
Also working on a '54 that will be a dependable driver. Luckily the previous owner did body work. Now I'm straightening out all of the other problems!

Don't have any experience with manual transmission pedals. Mine has an automatic and the pedals came out of a Ranger.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:35 PM
jakevidrine
Mountain Pass
The truck was parked in a barn for God knows how long and there was carpet in it. I'm assuming the carpet was wet at some point and it helped to expedite the rusting process on the floors, rockers, and doors. I did find a few pin holes in the nose of the hoof, but I should be able to weld them shut without any issues.

I was thinking of pulling the pedals out of an explorer or a ranger and mounting them to the firewall, I just need to figure out the linkages and determine if there is room in the engine bay for an engine and a brake booster...

Also, when changing out the steering column, is there anything I should look for? I was thinking about ordering a ididit 30" tilt column with the boot covered floor mount I just don't know exactly how this will work with the CV ifs... I've never done a steering column swap

Old 03-09-2017, 08:43 PM
Silver54
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm definitely interested in seeing this all play out, a lot of these are what I would like to do to mine. Shop time just hasn't been so frequent for me (at least not on my projects) for the last year or two.

Good luck!

Old 03-09-2017, 08:47 PM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts
You're going to find that a majority of the manual trans trucks around here are using original drivetrains. Most of the modded trucks use autos.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:47 PM
BTclassics
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
There was room for the ranger power brake booster in my '54. There is a thread on here for a T56 swap into a '56. There was discussion on clutch pedal set up.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:09 PM
jakevidrine
Mountain Pass
Thanks BT, I'll search for the thread and see what I can find. It sounds like I'm going on a junk yard hunt this weekend...

I told my wife I would take 2 years to complete this truck, the torino took 6 months. As long as she doesn't cut my funding I should get it done in about a year and a few months. The goal is to have the chassis and bodywork completed this year then engine and interior next spring. I have a pretty fair amount of time to work on it so I'm able to get a lot done each week. I'm hoping that now that I'm finishing up the rust repair things start to move quicker.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:25 PM
jonnireb
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking good,
You've already come a long way.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:34 PM
jakevidrine
Mountain Pass
Thanks, I've been working pretty diligently on it. Once everything is in primer I will be much happier with it.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:59 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Welcome to FTE
Great work so far. And Pictures early on.
Got any on your CV install?

Old 03-11-2017, 12:08 AM
jakevidrine
Mountain Pass
I haven't started the saw yet, I've just started tearing the suspension out of the crown Vic. I'm hoping to start drilling holes tomorrow morning but I'm not quite sure what my wife has planned for the weekend yet. The fitting and mounting may wait until Sunday.

The crossmember is already out, I just need to remove the old leaf spring setup. I'm thinking this will be a pretty fast swap once everything is laid out

Old 03-11-2017, 01:49 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Looking good, there, mate.
I guess now that you have traded a gun in you will have to give your truck your best shot. Heheh. Awful pun, sorry.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:05 AM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Nice work, I have to do what you did on my floorboards also. Where did you order your floor boards and were you happy with them? I am putting a 300 6 and a M5R2 transmission in my 56. I bought a entire 92 f 150 (transmission donor) and took out the whole brake/clutch/master cylinder assembly. It looks like it will all fit on the firewall but i don't have it set yet. I plan to use the hydraulic clutch master cylinder also. The pedal assembly off the 92 is relatively compact. I also have a pedal assembly out of a 85 F150 (engine donor) and it is huge and wouldn't work well.

Quick Reply: New 1954 F100 Build