Aerostar Camper ideas!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 11:52 AM
Dogcatman34
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Aerostar Camper ideas!?

Hey all,
I hope I'm posting this in the right section, if I'm not feel free to correct me! I just recently got the old Aerostar running again! In the process I thought it may be fun to turn it into my camping rig since it's not worth anything anymore really. I wish mine had some other options which would make it a little more ideal for camping (bigger engine, extend, all wheel drive, etc) but she'll have to do for now!

I'm going to make something that the bench seats can snap into, and then use them outside of the van while we're camping. With the benches out there is enough room in the back to use an air mattress!

I'd like to also put a secondary battery in the back that gets changed by the van, but when used doesn't deplete the van's main battery. This would let me charge a phone, or radio, use an air pump, ETC without worrying about the van not starting.

I already am in the process of making curtains for the back windows.

That's really as far as I've gotten in regards to ideas for turning the Aerostar into a camper, but if you have any ideas, or suggestions I'd love to hear them!

The van has sat parked for several years, and I am just now getting her going again. I had to replace both the water pump, and the power steering pump due to some... harsh driving conditions (Aerostars don't fly well!) I replaced the seals on the back windows so it wouldn't leak anymore, and glued the wall back where it belongs. The outer tie rods where completely shot so those where replaced as well. Other than a slight engine temperature problem, and a few minor things like warped front rotors she drives pretty well! I thought about buying a small pop up trailer for the van, but I don't think she'd even pull that.

My Aerostar (Bertha) is a 1995 XLT with the 3.0L engine. RWD, and the short cabin. She has a full tow package, with break controller which is laughable because she can barley make it over the passes without a trailer.

Thanks for reading! Would love to hear your thoughts, and suggestions.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:20 AM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru

Do whatever your heart desires, Just be sure to post pics! These rigs are fun to modify. At one time, way, way, way back, there were a few places that did camper conversions on the Aerostar.

But so far it looks like you have a plan, so go for it.

Old 03-10-2017, 02:17 PM
87&97Aerostrar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Dogcatman34;17017924]Hey all,
I'm going to make something that the bench seats can snap into, and then use them outside of the van while we're camping. With the benches out there is enough room in the back to use an air mattress!

I'd like to also put a secondary battery in the back that gets changed by the van, but when used doesn't deplete the van's main battery. This would let me charge a phone, or radio, use an air pump, ETC without worrying about the van not starting.

I'm assuming you've never removed one of those bench seats or you are built like Hercules. I don't know what they weigh but they are heavy. Not something I want to be wrestling with on a camping trip and what if it rains and they get wet. How much would they weigh then?

I put a battery in the back of an Econoline once, with an isolater using some 10 gauge aviation wire. But it just wouldn't work. The voltage drop was too great to charge the battery. I figure I would need at least 4 gauge copper stranded wire and even back then it was cost prohibitive.
Your best bet is one of these.
Lithium Ion Jump Starter and Power Pack
They don't take up near as much space. I've seen one rated at 16,000 mAh and been told they go higher than that plus you won't be tethered to the van.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:40 PM
sittinguy
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Mine has full curtains. So don't just do a rear one, do the Big front one also. The front one is like a shower curtain.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:42 AM
zenish
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-21-2017, 09:40 PM
franksosa
New User
the only idea I have is to make sure the rear windows dont leak including the the hatch door, and make sure water doesn't come up through random holes in the floor. I was going to make a camper out of mine until I noticed that water had pooled under the carpet. Everything on the van leaks in. Just stripped the interior and it's proving to be a challenge to correct this. About to just give up and sell it.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:29 PM
Dogcatman34
New User
Originally Posted by franksosa
the only idea I have is to make sure the rear windows dont leak including the the hatch door, and make sure water doesn't come up through random holes in the floor. I was going to make a camper out of mine until I noticed that water had pooled under the carpet. Everything on the van leaks in. Just stripped the interior and it's proving to be a challenge to correct this. About to just give up and sell it.
The van was sitting parked in a field for several winters, and unfortunately both windows on the driver side where leaking. I was able to take them off and seal them which was easier that I expected, and the van has cleaned up nicely considering all the moisture that was inside in it. I glued the interior wall back up because it was sagging, and falling off in places. It seems like I've gotten all the leaks fixed. I don't notice moisture in the van or any leaks, and it's been a wet one this winter here in Oregon. Did you notice any particular holes that it was coming up in? I'll check mine this afternoon.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:34 PM
Dogcatman34
New User
[QUOTE=87&97Aerostrar;17021154]
Originally Posted by Dogcatman34
Hey all,

I'm assuming you've never removed one of those bench seats or you are built like Hercules. I don't know what they weigh but they are heavy. Not something I want to be wrestling with on a camping trip and what if it rains and they get wet. How much would they weigh then?

I put a battery in the back of an Econoline once, with an isolater using some 10 gauge aviation wire. But it just wouldn't work. The voltage drop was too great to charge the battery. I figure I would need at least 4 gauge copper stranded wire and even back then it was cost prohibitive.
Your best bet is one of these.
Lithium Ion Jump Starter and Power Pack
They don't take up near as much space. I've seen one rated at 16,000 mAh and been told they go higher than that plus you won't be tethered to the van.
I'll check out that Power Pack! The main reason I want to have the seats out of the van is so that you can sleep in the back of it. This would at least give you something to do with the seats. Do you know if the seats that fold into a bed will fit into the standard length van? If they do I may just get a set of those for the back, and forget about removing them when we are vamping.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:02 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
Yes, the seat-beds should fit into shorties as well as the extended vans.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:38 PM
zenish
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i doubt the seat bed has room to lay down if in the rear spot in a shorty.

Old 03-28-2017, 02:33 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
The full bed is composed of two seats that fold flat (backward); a full width (3-across) in the back, and narrower (2-across) in the 2nd row. I pulled a set out of a shorty in the salvage yard to replace the regular (fold-forward) benches in my extended van. It leaves about a foot of space between the rear edge of the bed and the rear hatch. In the shorty, the rear bed extends right up to the hatch.

This last weekend, I found a shorty Aerostar in the salvage yard with a fold back bed type rear bench and a standard fold-forward 2nd row bench. Not sure why anyone would want that combination.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:24 PM
franksosa
New User
Dogcatman, the floor leaks I speak of might come from the seat attatchment points in the floor, there are random factory holes in those recessed parts of the floor. Also make sure water doesn't come in through the floor cargo boxes in the rear.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:47 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Really helps these leaky Aeros to run a 120v space heater inside for several days to drive all the moisture out before going camping. Makes the trip much more comfortable.
A safety tip over space heater on low is handy to take along for damp and colder days camping at camping spots with AC. We used to set it on the front floor boards.
We tried sleeping on top of the seats one trip. Pulled them out and used a HD air mattress with 12v air compressor for several years.

Get some Life Calk at a marine store for sealing all the leaks. Adheres much better than any of the silicone sealants.

A large tarp can be tied off to the lifted rear hatch and trees to make a nice large out of weather seating area on those stay in camp rainy days, don't have to set in the rig.