Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What's It Worth? (not an ad)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 08:28 AM
Capt.Schenk
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's It Worth? (not an ad)

I'm considering a life-changing event. That might sound stupid, but I spend 1/2 of my weekends with my two boys, 1/4 of my weekends fishing, and 1/4 of my weekends working on my truck. I drive a lot, and while driving, I spend the majority of that time planning my next repair and/or modification. So, if I were to sell my truck, it really would be a life-changing event to me. I'm planning on moving into a low-mile 2015 or newer 6.7.

That having been said, I'd like some opinions on what my truck is worth. The body and the interior are in good shape with the exception of the driver's seat. The truck appears to be stock until you pop the hood, which was always my intention. I've been called "sneaky" more times than I can count. The truck has always been owned and kept in SE Texas, so there isn't any rust. The miles are high, especially to people unfamiliar with 7.3's. A list of relevant records and some notes are attached. Not all services are noted, so please don't criticize the list. The truck is a Lariat, but is all white (not brown at the bottom), which was exactly what I wanted, and turned out to be very hard to find. The photo of the engine isn't up-to-date. I've since removed the coolant filtration system and added the Riff Raff over-boost code eliminator. I can post pics of the rest of the truck if anyone's interested in seeing it.

Attached Images  
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2002 F-250.pdf (63.1 KB, 118 views)
Old 03-08-2017, 09:11 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Those miles will be scary for someone unfamiliar with 7.3's. My truck is very, very similar to yours, but has not quite hit 290K yet, still has original injectors, is virtually a Lariat in terms of all the extras built into its XLT package (only missing the seat logos, overhead console, and Lariat badge). Mine is also 2wd. That said, from what I've seen around here, I could ask $12K for mine with no trouble whatsoever.

You have a few extra goodies that I don't have (4wd, hidden 5th wheel, chip, intake, and relatively new injectors), but I have virtually new leather seat covers on both front seats and an '08 center console. Balancing out those things and the mileage difference, combined with what I've seen on CL for trucks with that kind of mileage, I would say that if it were mine, here in Birmingham, I would probably start at $12K-$13K and see where that went.

I DO remember when I bought my truck in Houston, 10 years ago, it was a real challenge. The 7.3's would hit the market and be gone in a matter of less than a week, and that seems to be somewhat still the same case around here in Alabama as well.

Best of luck.

EDIT: I just scanned my local CL and found this as an example of what I mentioned above... It's within about 10 miles of my house, has less than 200K miles with brush guard and perfect looking seats... https://bham.craigslist.org/cto/6031261793.html
If I had the spare cash right now, I would sell mine in a heartbeat and jump all over the one in that ad.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:51 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Every time I look at one of these kinds of posts I think "the truck I bought is clearly and investment and not a truck". Although, I plan to drive my truck until the odometer reads 000000 again.

Back to your question, think about what you would be willing to take for it. Then jump the price up by either $1K or $500 from there. This will give you a little wiggle room as there is always a bit of negotiating on a used vehicle. People will be scared of the mileage, but they are not the buyers you are looking for anyway.

When listing you ad, use proper grammar and good pictures, those two things go a long way to a potential buyer.

Only you know what you would be happy selling your truck for.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:02 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I'm glad I got mine when I did, I would not buy one at these prices today and I never expected it to appreciate in value. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while...

Old 03-08-2017, 02:32 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
One other thing... I would personally recommend that you replace your worn DS seat cover. You have obviously taken care of the truck, and I personally believe that one of the best curb appeal investments you can make in on the seats... that gives a real quick visual impression of "loving care" than clean and undamaged seat covers

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
I'm glad I got mine when I did, I would not buy one at these prices today and I never expected it to appreciate in value. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while...
Yep. That CL ad I listed is what I paid for my truck 10.5 years ago when it only had 114K miles on it! And I sold my 2003 Excursion for $500 more than I paid for it after driving it for 5 years and putting 60K miles on it!

Still, though, at those prices ($12-$18K), what better options are their when you're looking for a solid diesel truck?

Old 03-08-2017, 02:37 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter

really.

have been offered just as much as we gave for old green back in 2005.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:38 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by F250_
One other thing... I would personally recommend that you replace your worn DS seat cover. You have obviously taken care of the truck, and I personally believe that one of the best curb appeal investments you can make in on the seats... that gives a real quick visual impression of "loving care" than clean and undamaged seat covers

That, and if the break pedal cover is worn down (see metal), replace it too.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:47 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Still, though, at those prices ($12-$18K), what better options are their when you're looking for a solid diesel truck?
None, I'd probably go for a gasser if I was in the market today.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:57 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Never been a fan of government motors, but that Canyon with the duramax will probably be what replaces old green..... when the time comes.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:05 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by empiretc
Never been a fan of government motors, but that Canyon with the duramax will probably be what replaces old green..... when the time comes.
What do you think of the Tundra with the Cummins?

Old 03-08-2017, 06:45 PM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
What about the 2018 F150 with the 3.0 diesel?

Old 03-08-2017, 09:08 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by empiretc
Think long and hard before making THAT jump. We left Ford for Chebby after the 6.4L was Ford's mainstay and after a few days of sitting on the side of the road and weeks at the Chebby dealership for "warranty" work, we couldn't wait for something better to come along...even considered the possibility of a Cummins...... Oh, they still haven't addressed the majority of the issues that sidelined our trucks.

The 6.7L Powerstrokes are doing well with some family and friends but I get sticker shock.

So, we are in the market for another 7.3L

Old 03-09-2017, 06:30 AM
Capt.Schenk
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The seat cover has been high on my list since the day I bought the truck, and I always planned to replace it prior to selling the truck. But now that the I'm considering selling the truck and being scared I'll only get $6k-$7k for it, I'm hesitant to drop another few hundred dollars into it, especially if it's just gonna be sold to a lawn maintenance crew, or something along those lines. If this truck really is in the $10k-$13k range, I'd gladly replace the seat cover, and at the same time I'd install the seat warmers while I'm doing so. Thanks for the input.