1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Energy Suspension Cab Body Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 04:09 PM
Grape Nehi
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Energy Suspension Cab Body Mounts

I ordered new poly bushings for my 65 F100 2wd...Rear Spring, Radius Rod, Axle Pivot and Cab/Core Support. I havent started installing any yet but it looks like they will all fit nicely... but Im concerned about the cab/core mounts. They are a universal fit and not specific to vehicle. And the disc that goes between cab/core and frame appear to be a good bit thicker than the originals. I know the originals would be squished out flatter but I am concerned that these will cause alignment issues if they are too thick.

Ive read lots of old posts on the subject. No one seems to post the part numbers of the bushings they used. The Energy Suspension PN I ordered is 9.4102. I got 6 of them to mount the cab and core support. The old rubber discs were squished out to 7/8". The thickness of the new poly disc between cab and frame is 1 1/8". Are people installing this bushing at all 6 mount points with success?

I have read some have cut the bushing down with a saw. But I hate to do that. Besides, it would seem that getting a little more lift in the body (1/4" or less) could help prevent column shift problems with the 3 speed. And if the steering column can be slid a touch downward to meet the rag joint, it would give me a little more room between the bottom of the steering wheel and my "6 pack ab".

Old 03-07-2017, 04:45 PM
6t6merc
Cargo Master
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
I used those bushings and removed them to try to modify them, after installing them with the knowledge they were too thick. I also thought there might be some benefits to the added thickness but when I got everything together - or almost together - it became apparent that nothing was going to fit as Ford intended, eg the box, steering column and more. After I ruined the Energy Suspension pieces I think I got bushings of the correct dimensions from Ford, intended for an Econoline IIRC, but that was some years ago.
Eric

Old 03-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Grape Nehi
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 6t6merc
I used those bushings and removed them to try to modify them, after installing them with the knowledge they were too thick. I also thought there might be some benefits to the added thickness but when I got everything together - or almost together - it became apparent that nothing was going to fit as Ford intended, eg the box, steering column and more. After I ruined the Energy Suspension pieces I think I got bushings of the correct dimensions from Ford, intended for an Econoline IIRC, but that was some years ago.
Eric
Hi Eric, I did read your old thread. But was hoping something had come out from Energy Suspension to accomodate us. As you know, Im in Alaska and I'd like to go with poly mounts thru-out the truck. For lots of the reasons everyone else likes them but also because they should be less susceptible to hardening with super cold temps.

The bushings I ordered have the extra height but also Ive found the holes in the frame are quite a bit bigger than the bushing part that passes thru the frame. So Im also concerned this would allow the body to "walk" laterally....unless they have another part number that works better on our trucks.