Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to site. Multiple F series owner.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 12:25 AM
rcaircraftnut
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to site. Multiple F series owner.

1st, let me say please don't flame me if I've committed forum sins as I work full time and don't have time to read for a month to see what the etiquette is here, thanks. A polite informative post on the subject will be met with thanks, whereas if you talk to me like a child I will respond quite negatively.
Now with that out of the way, lol.
I recently blew the engine in my trusty 86 F150 short wide. It was an Ohio truck it's entire life and subsequently has advanced cancer issues. Acquired an 89 F250 as a replacement. Had the issues with no fuel pressure, found that both in tank pumps were bad due to sitting since 09. Replaced the rear tank today with the one from the 86 and she lit rite off. The threads on here were a big in troubleshooting the issue. Thanks guys for the posts. There are more issues to sort out so I will be posting more soon.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:51 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:27 PM
rcaircraftnut
New User
Found today that the alternator is not charging. Also it's not the correct one. Bolt missing due to holes not lining up. The one from my 86 bolts up, but needs the v belt pulley swapped for the serpentine pulley. Still need to replace the front tank fuel pump. Also my wipers are jammed. Seems the motor is frozen. I did get the ratty seat swapped out and the interior deep cleaning done today. Looks and smells MUCH better.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:22 PM
rcaircraftnut
New User
Got the pulleys swapped out and the alternator from the 86 F150 bolted rite up. Works great. Now I can start on the long list of smaller items that need fixing. The list is long lol. Wiper motor, power windows, heat and a/c, tail lights, tune up, stereo, brakes, front tank fuel pump, oh and WASH THE UGLY THING! Not necessarily in that order haha. Then do something about the bad flaking ugly Blue paint. I see flat Black in its future.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:24 PM
rcaircraftnut
New User
Need to fix the exhaust leak as well. May just do headers and dual pipes.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:27 AM
rj1983
Senior User
welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy your stay.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:28 PM
rcaircraftnut
New User
Thanks. Just got new plugs, wires, cap and rotor today. Going to install them in the morning and do the oil change.
Does anyone know if the wiper motor from my 86 F150 can be installed in my 89 F250? It needs a new one and I am all about saving money.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:30 PM
rcaircraftnut
New User
Looking at it it appears jhe bolts are in different locations so ordered one off fleabay. $25 shipped for a new one. Not bad at all.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:10 PM
OldGoldie
Senior User
Originally Posted by rcaircraftnut
Looking at it it appears jhe bolts are in different locations so ordered one off fleabay. $25 shipped for a new one. Not bad at all.
Check and see if just the bracket differs. You may be able to change the motors over.

Also, when you get the new one, take it apart and clean out the old crusty grease and replace with fresh grease. I was amazed by the recovery of the wiper motor on my old '75 International Scout after a motor refurb. Old stuff was like cold peanut butter.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:23 PM
rcaircraftnut
New User
Originally Posted by OldGoldie
Check and see if just the bracket differs. You may be able to change the motors over.

Also, when you get the new one, take it apart and clean out the old crusty grease and replace with fresh grease. I was amazed by the recovery of the wiper motor on my old '75 International Scout after a motor refurb. Old stuff was like cold peanut butter.
Old one I just removed is rusted solid in the motor. The worm drive is great shape, but the motor is stuck solid.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:25 PM
rcaircraftnut
New User
Trying to figure oit what wires are for the speakers in the factory harness. Also why i have 2 switched hot wires to the factory head unit? I know what the constant hot is but why have 2 switched hots? Ford did some interesting things to be sure lol.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:27 PM
OldGoldie
Senior User
Originally Posted by rcaircraftnut
Trying to figure oit what wires are for the speakers in the factory harness. Also why i have 2 switched hot wires to the factory head unit? I know what the constant hot is but why have 2 switched hots? Ford did some interesting things to be sure lol.
I'm going from memory here, and my memory is from my Jeep Wagoneer radio installation, but I think one is constant hot for the clock/memory settings and one is hot when the ignition is on and that controls lights/additional power for actual radio usage/etc.

Again - total memory grab here man, so someone with more experience needs to chime in.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:22 PM
rcaircraftnut
New User
Ended up just running new wires for the speakers and now everything works great. On to the tune up. Just replaced the cap and rotor. Man what a differance in how it runs.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:51 PM
rcaircraftnut
New User
Turns out the second constant hot is for stereo illumination. Got it sorted eother way lol. Installed the new plugs and wires along with cap and rotor. No more popping and rough running. Have yet to test drive it, but it runs better already. Oil change is next this evening.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:53 PM
rcaircraftnut
New User
Having an issue with no hot air from the heater. Blower motor works. Change from floor to def works. Hot coolant in the heater hoses. What do i look at next? Thanks.

Quick Reply: New to site. Multiple F series owner.