over-inflate to increase speed rating

Old 03-03-2017, 07:22 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
over-inflate to increase speed rating

I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it in writing.

https://www.tirerack.com/images/tire...plications.pdf

All of that said, I looked at a Goodyear marathon at WalMart yesterday and saw that it had a 75mph (L) rating stamped on the sidewall.

I'm thinking that the manufacturers are tired of the bad wrap they have given trailer tires by limiting the speed ratings and cutting corners to save money.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:08 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I think they finally decided to join the rest of the world and go along with adjusting air pressure according to each application. This attitude toward one pressure for all applications is nuts. No professional race team does it, nor most of the professional drivers up and down the interstate.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:51 PM
fordmerc
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is that saying to raise the pressure 10psi above the max psi listed on the tire?
I'd love to run my trailer tires at a higher pressure than the 65psi listed. Which I will do when I replace with an E load tire.

Could this work with other brands of trailer tires? And still be safe obviously.

I'm not necessarily looking to run at a much higher speed, but feel the higher psi would keep the trailer a little more behaved. Opinions?

Old 03-05-2017, 10:08 PM
meborder
That is exactly how I read the memo.

Whatever max cold pressure is on the tire, inflate 10psi over and you are good to 75mph.

The $1,000 question is exactly what you say above. Will this work for other brands?

A couple years ago, we put some 13" radials with a 10ply rating but a 65mph speed rating my inlaws pop up. Do I feel safe running those at 90psi? Not sure.....

Old 03-05-2017, 10:27 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Don't think I'll put more than the stated pressure on the sidewall.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:07 AM
Screamingbear
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Some over pressure OK

I have been running trailer tires at 5-7 PSI over max stated on the side wall for many years. Several brands and styles. Have never had an issue. Tires usually fail from an under inflation issue, not over inflation. My experience is that the tires seem to perform and track better slightly over inflated.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:36 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
It seems to me that over inflation has it's own set of problems. Namely accelerated wear in the center of the tread - assuming the higher pressure is enough to distort the foot print.
We seem to have gotten away from the chalk line method of determining inflation pressure. I know I haven't done it since the late 70's myself.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:16 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
over inflation.. in its self is not bad... within reason

it reduces rolling resistance... and to some point less Heat..
but also reduces the tread to road contact...

its when Heat is allowed to increase above normal.. is the issue..

with tire pressure/temperature monitors.. its less dangerous.. again within reason. and proper setting for the alarms...

was more common back in the day.. for going on long trips.. cars/truck/trailer.. 5 to 10 over. more summer time then winter time

Old 03-06-2017, 09:22 AM
msgtord
Posting Guru
I've raised and lowered the air pressure according to road conditions for many years. Higher for smooth interstates, lower for rough roads into the back country. I have also raised the air pressure on tires while at the track. I just never considered keeping the pressure up for long term or the life of the tires.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:40 AM
meborder
I'm considering this for my boat and car trailer.

both have Hi-Run brand load range C tires and might do it with the camper if I can't get a good price on load range D tires. the boat and camper both have the tires pretty well maxed out, and the car trailer does when loaded.

none of them have a service index on them so one must assume that 65mph is the max safe speed. I don't generally like hauling faster than 65 anyway, but on our open interstates and 80mph speed limit, 70 is definitely for the slow lane.

I did haul the in-law's pop up on a 6 hour trip last year and went 70 on the upgraded LRE tires. I felt OK about it being that the tires and bearings never exceeded 130°F, which was almost the same as the pavement temp. but that was at the rated 80psi cold.

I just found it amazing that Goodyear is actually recommending a 10psi increase for higher speeds.

for some reason running a LRC tire at 60psi seems reasonable, but running a LRE tire at 90psi just seems out of my comfort zone .. not sure why.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:19 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
I have a 24' trailer that we haul two RZR's on to Colorado. We drive 5 over the speed limit so I always inflate my tires 10 psi over the rated value.
I also use the TST tire monitoring system.
BTW the pressure printed on the tire is for maximum load, that is not the maximum pressure that you can put in the tire. That should be printed somewhere else on the tire. It usually says something like don't exceed XX pressure when setting the bead on the tire

Old 03-06-2017, 02:20 PM
meborder
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
I have a 24' trailer that we haul two RZR's on to Colorado. We drive 5 over the speed limit so I always inflate my tires 10 psi over the rated value.
I also use the TST tire monitoring system.
BTW the pressure printed on the tire is for maximum load, that is not the maximum pressure that you can put in the tire. That should be printed somewhere else on the tire. It usually says something like don't exceed XX pressure when setting the bead on the tire
I think you are misinterpreting what that warning is telling you. the "do not exceed while seating bead" warning only applies to the technician who is mounting the tire.

often times, particularly on 10-ply tires that "do not exceed" warning is substantially lower than the 80psi that is typical for most 10-ply tires. I just doubled checked the tires on my work truck, and it said not to exceed 40psi while seating the bead. they are an LT245/75r17 LRE with an 80psi cold rating. Going by your statement above, I should not exceed 40psi?

your maximum weight capacity is always rated at the maximum cold pressure. most of the tires I have bought lately, particularly trailer tires, have the sidewall embossed with language like this:

I'm not sure how you could read this any other way.

the tires on my work truck (a few months old) were worded exactly that way:
"Max Load Single 1450kg (3195lbs) AT 550kPa (80psi) cold"

Old 03-06-2017, 03:27 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
YES mounting pressure is different then inflation pressure..

a stuck bead of a tire can damage a wheel.. "FLYING" into rim edge..
even destroy a wheel..

Old 03-06-2017, 03:36 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
This is what I was referring to. I had just read it a couple of days ago. It refers to a max pressure which is more than the max load pressure.
Looks like I mistook it for the bead seating pressure.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=196

Old 03-06-2017, 05:41 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
The way I read that tirerack link,
the tires are to be set at MAX tire pressure when cold. When the tires heat up, the PSI will also go up, the tires are designed for the typical 5-8 PSI increase when hot, do not let this extra pressure out - when tires are hit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: over-inflate to increase speed rating