Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some help please guys

Old 03-02-2017, 09:45 PM
jethrodean
Senior User
jethrodean is starting off with a positive reputation.
need some help please guys

Did my egr delete today. One of the bolts on the exhaust manifold for the pipe that goes into the egr. The other came out ok. Has anyone else had this happen to them. If so how did u guys get the bolt out. There is about a quarter inch sticking out of the manifold. Please guys.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:49 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
Have you got room to weld a nut onto the portion of the broken bolt?

Old 03-02-2017, 09:58 PM
Don Naslund
Elder User
Don Naslund has a good reputation on FTE.Don Naslund has a good reputation on FTE.
1/4 inch is good. That's enough to grab it with vice grips. The threads must be galled. soak it with penetrating oil and while you are waiting, remove the manifold so that you can get more of a grip. rock it back and forth while trying to get it to back out a little at a time. If it breaks off, you will have to drill and tap it out. I wouldn't try an easyout because when they break, they are almost impossible to drill out.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:04 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
RigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputation
Can you get a small set of vise grips on the piece sticking up? If so, lube the chit out of it and CAREFULLY" try to get the remainder of the bolt moving. If not, go ahead and start removing the upper intake (big black plastic piece) to gain access, and I'd suggest a good set of left hand bits, some very hard traditional bits (in case the L/H bits don't back it out) and a helicoil. Trust me, been there done that, I ended up having to drill mine out and since I got off center, installed a helicoil.
The bolts Ford uses are junk, this is a pretty common occurrence, I know it sux but once you get everything taken care of, it'll be well worth it.

As Don stated above, ez outs Ain't ez! I also broke one of those off in mine.....I was able to drill it out, thank God, .that really sucked!

Old 03-02-2017, 10:41 PM
jethrodean
Senior User
No the vice grips aren't working. Taking the black manifold off is there anything special to it.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:44 PM
jethrodean
Senior User
How does the helicoil work. Never heard of that.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:56 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
RigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputationRigTrash601 has a superb reputation
helicoil,helicoil insert,helicoil inserts,heli-coil,helicoil kit,helicoil tool kit ,helicoil tap,helicoil india

Pretty fair explanation, I had to use one cause I had the bolt hole all kinds of Jacked up from trying to drill out the ez out. If you can get a good set of left hand bits, you may be able to get the bolt to back out while drilling it out. Just make sure you stay perfectly straight while drilling the bolt out if it comes to that. I'd call a local auto parts store and make sure you can get a helicoil kit if need be, I ordered mine from Amazon.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:00 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Amazon Amazon

Here's the kit I used....
Just make sure you get one for M6 X1 bolt, I'd also purchase some new bolts.

The upper intake is an aggravation all its own, be careful on the drivers side, your transmission dipstick tube is attached to it close to the firewall, and the bolts on the backside can be a bugger to get to. I got all the bolts out of mine, lifted slightly, shifted towards the passenger side of the engine bay, then pulled forward and lifted up and out. Just be patient with it it.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:00 AM
jethrodean
Senior User
I appreciate the help guys. Wished I could just take the manifold off and weld the plate on

Old 03-03-2017, 10:18 AM
SavageNFS
Post Fiend
SavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputation
Mitch fixed you up...same thing happened on my '11. good luck

Old 03-03-2017, 11:28 AM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Andrew010 has a good reputation on FTE.Andrew010 has a good reputation on FTE.
This is pretty common. Weld a nut on the bolt and you're good. The heat from welding will help break the bolt loose.

Use anti seize on new bolts!

Old 03-03-2017, 04:11 PM
jethrodean
Senior User
What are the torque specs for the manifold

Old 03-03-2017, 04:21 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud ofJust Strokin has much to be proud of
upper intake - 11 Nm (97 lb-in)

Old 03-03-2017, 05:54 PM
jethrodean
Senior User
Weld it though its that close to a fuel line?

Old 03-03-2017, 06:06 PM
SavageNFS
Post Fiend
SavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputation
I pulled mine to weld the nut on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need some help please guys

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: