General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Winter Wonderland Road Trip Of 2017

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 02:21 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
The Final Stop - Acadia National Park,Acadia Mountain Trail continued...........

Lastly,a ride downtown Bar Harbor.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:22 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
The Final Stop - A ride downtown Bar Harbor concluded.

It's always nice to get away but after 3 months and 3 days away,it sure is some nice to be back home too.
One things for sure,I have never had a winter seem to fly by so fast! It was a mega giant packed,non stop road trip adventure.A once in a lifetime event.I'm glad I did it but I'm also glad it's over.What a trip!I hope you enjoyed.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:24 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend

Roll The Credits!

Northeast Classic Car Museum

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

1. Cuyahoga Valley National Park

The Henry Ford Museum

Great lakes; Huron,Michigan & Superior

Tahquamenon Falls

Great Lakes Aquarium

2. Voyageurs National Park

North Dakota Heritage Center & State Museum

Standing Rock Indian Reservation

3. Theodore Roosevelt National Park

Mount Moriah Cemetery

4. Badlands National Park

Mount Rushmore National Memorial

Crazy Horse Memorial

5. Wind Cave National Park

Devils Tower National Monument

Legend Rock Petroglyph Site

6. Grand Teton National Park

First Peoples Buffalo Jump

7. Glacier National Park

8. North Cascades National Park

Snoqualmie Falls

9. Olympic National Park

10. Mount Rainier National Park

Multnomah Falls

11. Crater Lake National Park

12. Redwood National & State Parks

13. Lassen Volcanic National Park

14. Great Basin National Park

15. Zion National Park

16. Bryce Canyon National Park

17. Capitol Reef National Park

18. Arches National Park

19. Canyonlands National Park

Newspaper rock

Hovenweep National Monument

20. Mesa Verde National Park

21. Black Canyon Of The Gunnison National Park

22. Rocky Mountain National Park

Manitou Cliff Dwellings

Garden Of The Gods (Colorado Springs, CO)

23. Great Sand Dunes National Park

Capulin Volcano National Monument

Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge

Quartz Mountain Nature Park

Great Plains State Park

Horton Car Museum

Foss State Park

Copper Breaks State Park

Beavers Bend State Resort Park
(not shown this trip.quick camp)

24. Hot Springs National Park

25. Mammoth Cave National Park

Cumberland Falls State Resort Park

Floyd Garrett's Muscle Car Museum

26. Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Blue Ridge Parkway - Cherokee Territory

27. Congaree National Park

28. Shenandoah National Park

29. Acadia National Park

Additional self accomplishments due to this road trip:

A. Visited both the eastern and western most points of America's mainland.

B. Visited all 5 of the great lakes.

C. Visited all of the lower 48 states.

A special thanks to the National Park Service.
Preserving America for 100 years.

May we always remember to give thanks and honor to America's first residents who were pushed from their lands.May we never forget the deep hurt and show our respect and gratitude to many of our ancestors and wise elders.

May we also always instill in the hearts of our children,a deep respect for our great mother earth.Teach them to care for and cherish these lands,so that their children can also enjoy our great home here tomorrow.

In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.

- Iroquois Maxim (circa 1700-1800)

Children learn from what they see. We need to set an example of truth and action.

- Howard Rainer, Taos Pueblo-Creek (2012)

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.

- Chief Seattle, Duwamish
(1780-1866)

Old 04-09-2017, 02:28 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Old 04-13-2017, 06:13 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
Thumbs up

Wow not a single reply after a great photo show and an awesome road trip and being winter in a tent.

How many days in the tent and hotel? Yes America has some great things to see.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:59 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Tough crowd. Nah a few posted partway through at different times.Most people are probably in disbelief and awe lol.

That's a cool question! I was 3 months and 3 days away in total.
9 motel rooms.I recall once where I hit my coldest night.
-25F up in Minnesota by Voyageurs National Park.I'm pretty sure I had enough gear where I could of stayed warm enough,I just wasn't sure.I was still very comfortable with what I had to down to -10/-15 but since this was probably my coldest night (and it was) I figured I wouldn't try it.
1 of them (for a few nights) in WY when my car broke down.I had to stop and take a few days to search local cities around where the bus was fairly easy to get to,and find a good deal on another used car.
1 of them when I was over in Washington to catch the super bowl.Which I only got to see the first half where I figure the Pat's blew it! A big snow storm came in and took out the sat dish.I watched the play by play events in script at least on NLF.com so at least I knew what was going on.Then a few days latter I got a chance to download the game while at a wifi hot spot.
A few other times was when I just couldn't seem to find an open campground,or side road where something was plowed open enough to pitch my tent and then other times where I couldn't find showers along the way and I just couldn't stand myself anymore.
For the most part I was able to find enough open places to pitch the tent and a shower every 4-5 days at least.
The entire month of March was an apartment in southern Oklahoma where I had it easy in 70's,80's even 90F and was spoiled.Coming back home in April was cake.Didn't need much to setup camp then.Just the tent,mattress and one bag.Felt like cheating lol.

So the only park I couldn't hit up there was Isle Royale National Park due to they shut it right down in winter but it looks like about 1,000 miles going through Canada from Maine so at some point I'll sneak in a week off during the summer and go over.It wont be easy to take the time off but hopefully I can make it happen.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:06 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Was your first vehicle white then the replacment green or blue one? I saw that in the picks of the white One by the tent then later the other.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:37 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Yeah I headed out with a little white Honda civic then I was going to get another civic but the thing is,in order to fit all my winter gear into the little car,I had to remove the front passenger seat lol.So I would of had to ship the new cars seat home if I went with another civic.So I decided to research the accord and see if I could find something in my price range (5-7k) and notice that the accords in the mid 2000's come in coupes (where they used to be 4 doors,at least primarily) AND they now come with the smaller 4 cylinder options and get around my old civic's fuel economy of around 35 mpg......I was sold! Oh man,how much nicer the mid size car is for long trips.If I was home,I would of just grabbed another civic cus those are pushing over 35mpg+ now but at around 32-34 mpg and the mid size......I think I'll just keep this car.That's cheap enough to run around and it's nice to have a bit more room.At least for my long trips.
Black accord coupe.2.4l i-vtec dohc.5 speed auto.....she goes nice....and cheap to drive.Perfect fit.
I'm a ford truck guy but man alive,the advanced technology in these honda cars.Very cool.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:52 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
I'm glad it worked out without to much hassle. Something to look at later in life and laugh about.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:55 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Great trip! Thanks for sharing it all.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:26 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Thanks Sean.I had to travel a "bit" lighter than you due to still being in my working years of course.
Show Becky my pitched tent in the snow and I can hear her now: "That guy is CRAZY!" hahaha! Glad you enjoyed the pics.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:20 PM
drdit92
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found this thanks to scraprat. Haven't gotten past page 2, but what an epic trip! I'm in awe of all you did, and in the dead of winter as well. I was really struck by one of your pics in the Badlands, and decided to edit it a bit to make it pop even more. This was edited on my phone, using PicArts app. It's not the greatest quality due to the low resolution downloading it off this site, but I think it's an amazing shot. Great work.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:46 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Thanks.If your only on page 2 and think it's epic,your really going to enjoy the whole thing.
Oh man,this little Sony point and shoot.It takes grainy pics inside and in low light conditions like that one.My old Kodak would of taken such a nicer pic than that.

I'm thinking about getting a "real" camera for my trips for all the roadside and close to car,indoor activities and such.Nothing super high end,into the thousands or anything,Just something in the 2 to 3 hundred price range and just keep my little point and shoot in my pocket for hiking trails.

That looks very cool with the boarder though.Even if it is grainy lol.My camera's fault.None of your own.All these pics may appear much nicer than they really are,on a small screen like a phone.
Outdoor during the day,for the most part this cam is decent though.I do like how slim the point and shoots have gotten.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:09 PM
Drisean
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, I looked through the whole trip and I am in awe. It's awesome. Thank you for sharing!

Old 09-12-2017, 06:40 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Thanks Drisean.Glad you enjoyed.That sure was an adventure.