2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Post delivery Break-in <pics> w mileage thoughts

Old 02-28-2017, 07:55 AM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Post delivery Break-in <pics> w mileage thoughts

Driving around locally, trying to vary my RPMs and seeing lots of local towns I haven't seen in quite awhile. I've had a couple PM's asking me about my delivery pics and if I had anymore (didn't take that many actually, maybe I was too excited to get possession!?)

So here is my Platty on the west side of Cayuga Lake, just south of the State Park. And yes I know... but I agreed w my dealer to keep the butt-ugly license plate frames on... the things we do for a deal! Mileage thoughts below......

Name:  20170227_175747_zpsi1h1qwlw.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  147.7 KB

Name:  20170227_175757_zpspd9obosn.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  107.1 KB

Name:  20170227_175817_zpsmrjnugps.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  104.4 KB

Name:  20170227_175832_zpslwv7woze.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  125.2 KB

Name:  20170227_175845_zpsh25303l8.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  151.2 KB

Name:  20170227_175907_zpsbbfj2vv8.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  156.9 KB

Mileage so far? I have NOT reset anything, when picking up the truck w 4-miles on the clock, it displayed ave: 12.4, and everyday I've taken her out of the garage for a break-in spin, it has climbed at least 1-2 mpg. Almost all my driving has been local with lots of city up and down RPMs. In the image, I'm on a flat rural road doing 55-60, I can see averaging over 20 doing this all day long, not my main compilation of miles however, I'll be a tow jockey mainly w this truck at super slab speeds. Still early of course, but for a dually and as big as this truck is?, I'm not complaining!

Name:  20170227_181902_zpszplam4kb.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  57.2 KB

Things to do yet...
Install Tonneau Cover (Retrax Pro MX)
Install rear mud flaps (Gatorback; 6.7L logo)
Purchase 2 additional TPM sensors (my 5er is triple axle)
Maybe a Bug deflector? ...and my tow vehicle is complete!

Old 02-28-2017, 09:07 AM
Shakeandbake
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am up to 15.4 mpg. Been driving for 3 days now. It's fun to see the live mpg gauge go up to 30 mpg coming down hills

Old 02-28-2017, 09:16 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Aside from the original pics I took on the first day I got it, this is the *closest* pic I have from delivery. Not a great pic, but I had about 140 miles on it if I remember and was towing around 7500lbs.

Lifetime average is 13.6 right now with my 3.55 dually. Empty, I've never gotten more than 20mpg, and that is quite rare (100 mile trip on 55-mph roads during the fall). I currently have 6500 miles on mine.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:00 AM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by troverman
Aside from the original pics I took on the first day I got it, this is the *closest* pic I have from delivery. Not a great pic, but I had about 140 miles on it if I remember and was towing around 7500lbs.

Lifetime average is 13.6 right now with my 3.55 dually. Empty, I've never gotten more than 20mpg, and that is quite rare (100 mile trip on 55-mph roads during the fall). I currently have 6500 miles on mine.

That blue is a looker!
I initially tried for that, but was a no go in the Platinum trim. Seems mileage is all over the place on these, I heard about fuel (quality) being possibly the cause, I've never had that drastic variation w fuel in my prior diesels tho. Maybe minimal differences at best.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:20 AM
Stalwart
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
GREAT looking trucks! I only keep my dealer installed frames on for one month, that is their free advertising from me. Brutus has a nice billet aluminum laser etched frame on the rear now with his name on it

For those new to dually ownership, the real enemy to fuel economy is speed. We have lower gears and a large frontal area with the addition of 2 more tires. The first puts us at a disadvantage at any speed. The other two hurts us as we go faster. You want to go fast, you pay in fuel, go slower it takes more time but fuel efficiency rises. My 2008 with 4.88 gears would get about 7-8 MPG at 75-80, slow that down to 60 it would go 12-13. Our 6.7's would do better across the band but you get my drift, we are pushing a large amount of air.

I find the lie-o-meter to be actually fairly close to hand calculated by the way I drive. One day coming home on a vacation, I had to travel a long distance due to a mountain pass closure. Since I had the whole clan with me, I decided to drive somewhat sedately on back roads. There was compact snow and ice on the roads and I was in 4WD for the whole trip. At 45 mph, in high gear, I was getting over 20 mpg which was confirmed at the fuel pump later. Towing at 60-65 mph, with a total weight of 33,000 lb. on an 800 mile drive, I was averaging between 7 and 8 mpg. The same as driving an empty truck at 75-80! Again the 2017 will do better but the trend is the same.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:22 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,284 Posts
Great looking trucks but then a dually is a beast.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:48 AM
lotsofords
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am dying to get into the conversation of what my dually gets, but alas it is still on a train headed to Az. Sunday it was in Kansas.
since you both have 350 platinum what does the payload sticker say you can carry?

OH and as a note to break in. When I originally bought my 01, I drove with the cruise on coming home from picking it up at the dealer for about 60 miles. For the rest of it's life if I set the cruise at the same speed it would surge. Higher or lower no problem.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:03 AM
Stalwart
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I never recommend cruise control during engine break in. I have 4000 miles on mine and the cruise control has never been turned on.

Back when I was driving trucks we had to identical trucks delivered, both with 1150 cubic inch (nearly 19 liter) Cummins rated at 575 hp. One driver babied the crap out of it, the other never put it into high gear for over two weeks. Once the truck reached operating coolant temperature the driver drove it HARD and used the whole rev range. Over the next several years, neither truck used oil, but the one babied was an absolute dog. It resisted reving to even 2000, pulled poorly and just liked to loaf. The one driven harder rev'd freely to the governor and pulled like the proverbial raped ape, fun truck to drive.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:05 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Top_Speed1
Driving around locally, trying to vary my RPMs and seeing lots of local towns I haven't seen in quite awhile. I've had a couple PM's asking me about my delivery pics and if I had anymore (didn't take that many actually, maybe I was too excited to get possession!?)

So here is my Platty on the west side of Cayuga Lake, just south of the State Park. And yes I know... but I agreed w my dealer to keep the butt-ugly license plate frames on... the things we do for a deal! Mileage thoughts below......

Things to do yet...
Oh my gosh, Top Speed. No deal is worth keeping those license plate frames on that beautiful truck. All I see is the blinding white rectangle! It's time to renegotiate.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:13 AM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Oh my gosh, Top Speed. No deal is worth keeping those license plate frames on that beautiful truck. All I see is the blinding white rectangle! It's time to renegotiate.
LMAO, yepper, those frames are a real beauty for sure!

I'll make sure when I pull my RV out to SSL (FairPark) for our BMW National Rally July 12-16 they will be off. In your neck of the woods also, we plan on touring the Diesel Bros shop in N. SLC. A very nice member (here!) has tightened me up for a small tour! Very excited, love that show and Heavy-D is my contacts nephew.

My wife likies Chavous and his big *** arms! lol.

Heavy-D (background) and Diesel Dave are the funniest however, can't wait!!!!!

SLC here we come! (in July)

Old 02-28-2017, 11:15 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofords
...since you both have 350 platinum what does the payload sticker say you can carry?
Not sure if you're referring to me, but my dually is a Lariat Ultimate. Payload sticker is 5,440. It would be interesting to see what top_speed1's payload sticker is given that his is the same truck except in Platinum and has a few features mine wouldn't have, such as the massaging seats. I would expect it to be within a couple hundred pounds or so.

Also, I could be wrong but I think top_speed1 opted for a 3.55 axle in his dually...same as me.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:28 AM
lotsofords
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine is also opted with 3.55. I do have camper and plow

Old 02-28-2017, 11:34 AM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by troverman
Not sure if you're referring to me, but my dually is a Lariat Ultimate. Payload sticker is 5,440. It would be interesting to see what top_speed1's payload sticker is given that his is the same truck except in Platinum and has a few features mine wouldn't have, such as the massaging seats. I would expect it to be within a couple hundred pounds or so.

Also, I could be wrong but I think top_speed1 opted for a 3.55 axle in his dually...same as me.
Correct on the 3:55 for my personal truck. I also have a new F450 work truck that will pull stumps in neutral. I need super-slab highway speeds for my personal truck however.

I'll check when I get home, I'm in my car right now. I know lotsofords asked me for this already, I apologize!. (last night) My tonneau cover came in at my dealer and then did the ride report above. So my bad... but TBC on the weight rating.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:36 AM
bronc71
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Top_Speed1

Mileage so far? I have NOT reset anything, when picking up the truck w 4-miles on the clock, it displayed ave: 12.4, and everyday I've taken her out of the garage for a break-in spin, it has climbed at least 1-2 mpg. Almost all my driving has been local with lots of city up and down RPMs. In the image, I'm on a flat rural road doing 55-60, I can see averaging over 20 doing this all day long, not my main compilation of miles however, I'll be a tow jockey mainly w this truck at super slab speeds. Still early of course, but for a dually and as big as this truck is?, I'm not complaining!

Things to do yet...

Great write up on my trucks little brother lol

Old 02-28-2017, 11:42 AM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bronc71
Great write up on my trucks little brother lol
You could be Darth and use the line.... {deep voice} "Luke.... I am your father!"
Guess that makes my trucks name now "Luke"!

You upgraded your tires too, so you have the big boy truck over me!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Post delivery Break-in <pics> w mileage thoughts