85-91 RSK with Super Duty springs - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

85-91 RSK with Super Duty springs

Old 02-26-2017, 11:08 PM
Vadis
Senior User
Vadis is starting off with a positive reputation.
85-91 RSK with Super Duty springs

With tax return season coming up I was looking into getting an RSK fabbed locally as shipping would be killer from either PMF or Sky.
I noticed nether company has any info on a RSK on the older frames with SD springs.
The SD springs are 3" longer then the stock springs if I'm not mistaken. That obviously moves the mounting point forward from the shackle position by that much. What I need to know is the 2.25" the PMF kit talks about is 2.25" lower then the shackle bolting point for the leaf?

Old 02-27-2017, 06:40 AM
IDIoit
Posting Guru
IDIoit is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.IDIoit is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
are you attempting this with a TTB?

Old 02-27-2017, 08:50 AM
Vadis
Senior User
Originally Posted by IDIoit View Post
are you attempting this with a TTB?
No, it's being done on my grandpa's truck which was a TTB 44 but I've already swapped it to a '94 Dana 60 with F-350 springs.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:09 AM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Vadis View Post
With tax return season coming up I was looking into getting an RSK fabbed locally as shipping would be killer from either PMF or Sky.
I noticed nether company has any info on a RSK on the older frames with SD springs.
The SD springs are 3" longer then the stock springs if I'm not mistaken. That obviously moves the mounting point forward from the shackle position by that much. What I need to know is the 2.25" the PMF kit talks about is 2.25" lower then the shackle bolting point for the leaf?
Sky actually does make a RSK for the 80-91 trucks

Old 02-27-2017, 09:16 AM
Vadis
Senior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
Sky actually does make a RSK for the 80-91 trucks
I noticed that but they say OBS springs in their write up and not Super Duty.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:25 AM
IDIoit
Posting Guru
IDIoit is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.IDIoit is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I built my reverse shackle kit spent 60 bucks,
and about 15 hours
DIY RSK. no need for expensive kits | Diesel Truck Forum - Oilburners.net

Old 02-27-2017, 10:39 AM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Vadis View Post
I noticed that but they say OBS springs in their write up and not Super Duty.
Crap. Totally missed that. Sorry

Old 02-27-2017, 12:12 PM
Vadis
Senior User
Originally Posted by IDIoit View Post
I built my reverse shackle kit spent 60 bucks, and about 15 hours DIY RSK. no need for expensive kits | Diesel Truck Forum - Oilburners.net
Looks beefy. Maybe a little more then I would need. I'm also going to need the space that huge square tubing takes up. I'm thinking basing the design more on the kits you could buy but obviously modified for the older frame ends and SD springs. Thanks though, good write up.

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
Crap. Totally missed that. Sorry
No problem. I was actually reading the write up you did in 1 of the forums were you used a Sky kit awhile ago. Pulled a lot of info from that.

So if I were to attempt this myself I would only have to worry about boxing the frame in. Making sure the front bolting location is both 3" forward of the shackle and 2.25" lower then the shackle at a 90 degrees angle?

I will most likely just order rear shackles from Sky as they're only $100 and shipping wouldn't be nearly as expensive as an RSK bracket.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:39 PM
ifrythings
Elder User
ifrythings is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I noticed on the superduty trucks they have the shackle in the frame with a bolt in bushing, I know a lot of people don't like the idea of drilling a 1-2" hole in their frame but this would get rid of the 2.5" lift and use junkyard cheap parts. Just wondering on the general thought of this?

Also do you need to have another crossmember/re-enforcement in the front?

Old 02-27-2017, 04:53 PM
Diesel_Brad
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ifrythings View Post
I noticed on the superduty trucks they have the shackle in the frame with a bolt in bushing, I know a lot of people don't like the idea of drilling a 1-2" hole in their frame but this would get rid of the 2.5" lift and use junkyard cheap parts. Just wondering on the general thought of this?

Also do you need to have another crossmember/re-enforcement in the front?
not that simple. it would wreak havoc on the caster if you did that

Old 11-02-2017, 11:12 PM
Vadis
Senior User
Figured I’d just bump this to talk this through and get some thoughts. I’m going to attempt to build my RSK after all. I’m going to base the upper part that attach to the frame on the 85-91 Sky kit:
Name:  photo178.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  36.4 KB
But base the bottom on the PMF kit to clear a 92-96 bumper and have minimal lift. I plan to weld on the 92-96 bumper mounts at the ends of my frame.
I found a thread on here with some pictures of a 2.25 PMF measured up and am having trouble understanding somethings. If I measure from my shackle bolt on the frame to the leaf bolt I get 4 7/8” if I add the 2.25 from the RSK it would be 7 1/8” but looking at this picture and using the slotted hole in the frame, which is the same spot on my frame but higher up then the shackle it looks like 6 3/4-7”.
Name:  photo980.jpg
Views: 1459
Size:  726.4 KB
Can someone confirm that measurement from the slotted hole to the leaf spring bolt?