Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil bypass filtration

Old 02-28-2017, 06:54 PM
andym
Post Fiend
andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
I'm not certain that it would, but they are designed to run on oil. I can't imagine that lots of exposure to air would be good for them.

Old 03-01-2017, 04:11 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
The air in oil hammers the injectors, like air in fuel does. They can take this a few times, but frequency of the abuse will get you. I've lost an injector here and there because of the frequency of subjecting mine to air in fluids.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:16 AM
Big Black Dually
Senior User
Big Black Dually is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Tugly View Post
The air in oil hammers the injectors, like air in fuel does. They can take this a few times, but frequency of the abuse will get you. I've lost an injector here and there because of the frequency of subjecting mine to air in fluids.

Thank you for that.

I dont think I would introduce any air into the system if I am careful to refill the HPOP reservoir after each series of cranking.

I think that I induced the air into the system when I did not refill the HPOP reservoir after flushing the old oil out system.

I think it took 3 or 4, ten second cranks to get the truck to start.

It made me uncomfortable to crank it that long. The truck usually fires right up.

BBD

Old 03-01-2017, 11:57 AM
Big Black Dually
Senior User
Originally Posted by cclgeo View Post
I currently use the blue DBL7405 oil filter and change my oil at about 5,000.

Thanks in advance for people's responses.

Chris in San Diego
​​
Chris this is supposed to be a great filter as well, and I found them for around $26 each.

LF 9691 Stratapore with Venturi

Old 03-01-2017, 11:40 PM
cclgeo
Senior User
cclgeo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Big Black Dually View Post
Chris this is supposed to be a great filter as well, and I found them for around $26 each.

LF 9691 Stratapore with Venturi
BBD,
is this the same size as the DBL7405. It looks to be about the same length. When you change your oil, do you use 16 quarts?. I heard good things about these filters.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:58 AM
Big Black Dually
Senior User
Originally Posted by cclgeo View Post
BBD,
is this the same size as the DBL7405. It looks to be about the same length. When you change your oil, do you use 16 quarts?. I heard good things about these filters.

They appear to be the same size.

BBD

Last edited by Big Black Dually; 03-02-2017 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Add photo
Old 10-20-2018, 06:03 PM
carbonation
Freshman User
carbonation is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bypass claim to fame is to extend change intervals by keeping particle counts down. There is little benefit, especially with the 7.3 for bypass and short oil change intervals. The oil will be black with or without bypass, that's not really what it does. As soot particles begin to gang together and get larger, the bypass will capture them before they can do any damage. This simply does not happen with a modern oil until well into a change interval, 10-12,000 miles. If you are changing every 5000 miles, just keep on doing that. You'll see no advantage as long as you own the truck.
Now, if you want to add bypass, by all means do so, just don't expect it keep the oil gold, or provide a short term benefit. It will help oil change intervals to be extended, but along with that comes monitoring the oil condition by analysis. There are more than a handful of people that go 20,000 miles or more with bypass filtration.
Not all bypass filters are created equal either. The Oil Refiner is very good, the older Racor LFS series is bulletproof. Insane Diesel is a joke, FS2500 has potential, but expensive to maintain.
None of the above applies to the 6.0 . That thing needs bypass from the get go.